LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bruised cere? Broken? Help! #37668 01/05/06 05:59 PM
atl4535 Offline OP
OP Offline
We recently went away for a few days, and had my in-laws, who have had plenty of parakeet experience, watch our parakeet. The problem is they let him fly around their condo, which wasn't a problem except that they live on a hilltop surrounded by woods and did NOT close their window shades, and he flew into the window HARD, twice! HELLO?!?!!! Obviously the parakeet was going to try and fly out through the window glass!!!! My father-in-law knocked on the wall to show me how hard he hit, and it was quite loud. He said that he seemed stunned, but OK.

Now our parakeet has something that looks like a raised reddish bruise on his cere, and I am sure it was from this accident, since he had nothing in his cere before we left. What can I do? Is there something I can put on it to help it heal? Anything I should look for to be sure this doesn't worsen? How do I treat this? Any advice at all would be appreciated (and FYI, my in-laws are NOT watching him again...).

--Gina--
Re: Bruised cere? Broken? Help! #37669 01/05/06 07:14 PM
K
kiwilucy Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
K
Got to love in-laws. I know I already love my boyfriend's parents and can't wait until we get married so we spend even more time together! smile (only not)

I would recommend taking your bird to a vet. If it swells further it could restrict breathing, and if it gets infected that could really be a problem also. Since they are so small and have such fast metabolisms, an infection can do a lot of harm in a hurry. To find an avian vet in your area, go to http://aav.org/vet-lookup/

I recommend searching by state, as searching by city somehow eliminates even results that are close by in the same city. Call around to a few vets, as some charge a whole lot of money, just because avian vets are a little harder to find. A decent vet will charge between $30-45. Best of luck, and sorry that your in-laws are no good.

Re: Bruised cere? Broken? Help! #37670 01/05/06 08:45 PM
Birdlady Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
you shouldn't waste your time asking on here asking I would go to a vet immediatly

Re: Bruised cere? Broken? Help! #37671 01/06/06 11:36 PM
Frosty*Sonny*Cloud Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Go to a vet immediately, that sounds bad... I wish you the best of luck!

Cloud and Sonny and Frosty(RIP)

Snow glistens upon the open field, I see your shape, I hear your chirp, and happiness fills my soul, knowing how happy you must be, to be away from me....RIP Frosty! I'll love you forever and for always!

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site