Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: Puds] #376373 07/21/09 01:36 AM
Niki Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I actually agree with BLR, that's an overstatement. I doubt even a single bunny can create that many descendents in a year. Mind you, cats do not go into sexual maturity for a few months. You don't see kittens making kittens.

Well, correction, you do. Depends on your defenition of "kitten." But it does take a few months for them to reach maturity.

Last edited by Niki; 07/21/09 01:42 AM.
Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: Niki] #376378 07/21/09 01:53 AM
A
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
A
the estimate is indeed correct, and that is exactly WHY it so important for cats to be fixed !!!

Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: ] #376403 07/21/09 03:16 AM
T
thekeetdad Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
T
theres allot of cats in my neighborhood to i wish they would just go away

new bird mia
Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: thekeetdad] #376447 07/21/09 02:29 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I would agree with "from one litter" but I just can't agree with "in one year." Helwa, I am courious, how long would it take to produce the 400,000 from one female. I understand what you are saying, and agree that intact cats are a huge problem.

Last edited by BLR; 07/21/09 02:36 PM.
Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: BLR] #376464 07/21/09 03:55 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
This is an interesting thread, from my point of view.

We have a cat and have had other cats in the past. I can certainly understand why Val feels as she does, so please don't take this as criticism; it is simple meant to be a comment on the different ways our countries seem to deal with cats.

We used to have a rabbit, when I was a child, and it was killed by a neighbour's cat, so I was angry about that, but cats are cats and most people, here, simply accept & ignore them.

Maybe it's because, over here, cats just roam free and come home as and when they wish ~ usually through their cat flap ~ that I perceive a different attitude.

Lots of cats come into my garden and I'm pretty sure that my cat goes into other people's gardens.

People may hate or love cats; people may try to keep them off their property, but people also seem to accept that cats do as cats do and that's just life.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: PDM] #376505 07/21/09 10:17 PM
Niki Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Helwa, how? If one cat has lets say by some insane miracle, 12 cats. Those kittens won't reach maturity until 10 months, maybe a little earlier. Maybe that the absolute earliest 6, by another same miracle. 400,000 cats from one cat is not possible in a single 12 month year.

Do you mean how many cats are produced a year, in general?I can agree with that. A single cat, 1 cat alone, can not make that much.

PDM, I agree with what you say about cats being cats. I don't mind cats eating our birds outside. They eat birds, baby bunnies, voles, baby moles, snakes, whatever they can. But that's on our property. If someone next door complained, I would keep the cats inside. You know?

Anyway... Did you chose to make the call? What happened?

Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: Niki] #376506 07/21/09 10:27 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
How many females could a tom cat impregnate in the given time?

Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: Niki] #376507 07/21/09 10:30 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Niki
.... PDM, I agree with what you say about cats being cats. I don't mind cats eating our birds outside. They eat birds, baby bunnies, voles, baby moles, snakes, whatever they can. But that's on our property. If someone next door complained, I would keep the cats inside. You know? ...

As I said, I was in no way criticising ~ just making an observation, based on the apparently different attitudes to cat-keeping in our two countries.

Here, cats just wander freely and are rarely kept in, so, while of course they do have 'owners', they are seen as kind of free spirits, who do their own thing. smile

Last edited by PDM; 07/21/09 10:30 PM.

Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: PDM] #376511 07/21/09 11:03 PM
Niki Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
That's interesting! :P I saw a documentary once that said the Tom cats in the UK were mostly overweight, is that true? It's so weird to picture homeless cats actually fat!

Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: Niki] #376514 07/21/09 11:22 PM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
I dont agree with cats just being cats. When it is a health issue and interupting others lives then its a problem. If a dog was roaming the neighborhood eating animals and pooping in others yards to the point where they had to change their lifestyles people would protest. But because its a cat that somehow makes it okay??
If this sounds like I am yelling I am not. I am just trying to make a point.
Cat crap in my flower bed is nasty. I do not want ringworm or lord knows what else. Plus, I cant even have a bird feeder or bird houses right now. How fair is it for me to put them out knowing that the birds are just a meal ticket for the cats?
Plus many songbirds numbers are declining enough as it is. Cats add to that decline.
A lady in the next neighborhood over had a great idea for her cats. She has a huge cage with cat toys and platforms and such that she has outside. The cats can lounge out in the sun without getting into trouble. I realize that not many people can afford such a thing but its a great idea. It keeps your cat safe from getting run over, hurt or impregnated!

It has been raining here for the past two days so I have not called yet. I am doing more research on the laws in my town to make sure I am doing the fair thing for everyone involved.

RIP Peeps
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Vilafinil 200mg Online without prescription
by Derick Cook - 09/01/21 11:22 AM
Tamiflu Flu virus Tablets
by Derick Cook - 08/30/21 12:28 PM
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by Derick Cook - 08/27/21 10:41 AM
Tapentadol Extended Release Tablets
by Derick Cook - 08/26/21 11:18 AM
Buy Modalert Online|Modalert 200mg Sleepiness Tabl
by Derick Cook - 08/24/21 12:08 PM
Purchase Generic Nuvigil Online for Sleep Apnea
by Derick Cook - 08/24/21 11:47 AM
Buy Tapentadol Online
by Derick Cook - 08/23/21 11:08 AM
Buy Artvigil 150mg online
by Derick Cook - 08/23/21 10:14 AM
Buy Eszopiclone online
by Derick Cook - 08/20/21 01:19 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site