Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need feedback for my playgym! #376334 07/20/09 09:41 PM
Puds Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Hello, My fiance built me a bird playgym. He had finished it up the other day, and then it was my turn to add toys and goodies.

We both went step by step and looked to see if every product we used was considered "bird safe" The following gym is what we came up with. the large side of the gym wall can be unscrewed and eaiser to wipe up and clean. Edges were sanded lovely by my fiance and i can run my hands across the edges with no fear of splinters.

Items used were parts of her toys, wood chips, birch rods, washed up string, pony beads (plasic!!), food dye, straws, and of course others. We used glue, hot and wood to help secure perches. But mainly the perches are held together with force. The wood was drilled exact, and the pieces were fit together. If you see anything that looks iffy please ask! I have a list of things used and i am ready for advice. PLEASE do not hold back, if you think something is dangerous let me know laugh there are 2 side notes. Glue is not completly dry...hehe i just wanted to take pics before supper time, ALSO the red...bits you see are pieces of loose food colored paper towel. They will be brushed off.

New pics soon smile
Re: Need feedback for my playgym! [Re: Puds] #376341 07/20/09 10:49 PM
**mattie** Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Hi!

I like your play-gym a lot! smile

You might want to secure *in picture 3* the little ball's string.
Looks a little like it could fall off.

May I ask what kind of glue you have used?
If it is the Elmers glue [non-toxic] your fine.

Last edited by Dixie&Miss' Mom; 07/20/09 10:57 PM.
Re: Need feedback for my playgym! [Re: **mattie**] #376361 07/20/09 11:50 PM
Puds Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Oh tell me about it :Z I cannot get that toy to look like it can withstand a beating! I am thinking i may attach a straw, horizontaly then attach the ball toy that way. I have about 30 knots in about 10 places on that darn toy, but i still do not like it. I also feel that if i have to move, while she is on it i could hit her with it.

For the inner parts we used Elmers Wood glue. We called the company to this one, and they stated all things are non toxic, and that its safe. It also says here http://www.birdboard.com/forum/get-help-your-bird/17029-safe-glue.html Wood glue is fine. There was a few other forums, but i dont need to link up the post LOL. Also hot glue (the low temp...kind) was used to help keep other things in place and also cover up the large black screws on the outside of the toy stand. We both made sure that Puddles would have to go out of her way to get to the glue and to chew it up. When we say out of her way, she has to either shrink down, and fit under and in places, get into mucho trouble while out on this toy.

My thoughts are Puddles should never be left out, while i am not in the room, too many dangers, so there will always be supervision for her and her perch. It 100% as safe as i can get it, but she will find a way probably :P little buggar!

Soooo, how do i get her on it? laugh

New pics soon smile
Re: Need feedback for my playgym! [Re: Puds] #376370 07/21/09 01:09 AM
A
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
A
it looks really awesome... but the glue is a concern.

are you 100% positive the glue is no where the bird can come into contact with it?? even if they chew the perches ???

other than that it looks really awesome !!!

Re: Need feedback for my playgym! [Re: ] #376379 07/21/09 01:56 AM
P
Parakeet 3lover Offline
Regular
Regular
P
really good job!
way bettrer then the onw i made then again im only 14 anyways really good.

Re: Need feedback for my playgym! [Re: ] #376380 07/21/09 02:00 AM
Puds Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
He sanded the joints, where there may have been buildup and excess. The joints are discolored, and i think it is because of the dye being centralized, grain getting roughed up there or something along those lines. The perches are died, be darned that you cannot see it though, on most at least.

I am worried to say 100% but when i look at this one i saw in the pet store ours looked much better. when i run my finger along the toy all i feel are grain of wood. Except for the base, where she would have to lay on her back, side or sit down and get into the cracks. I do not see this happening, as she is a bird that likes to stay high. I tend to keep puddles in her cage, unless i can devote my full attention to her. Because she is not as trained as i would like her to be (i still have to "touch stick" to get her to return to the cage) i think she may only have about 30 minutes max on this toy a day. At least untill i can trust that if she were to get scared, or a emergency i could get her to step to me. I think i will let it sit beside her for about a week, just to see if any issues arise with the item, then start to introduce it to our work area. With the speed she is progressing at training(sllooooowww) i should be able to get a picture of her on it in a few years. laugh I am going to look at it again for glue. It really goes invisible when dry. we picked clear so she would not be attracted to the different colors.

New pics soon smile
Re: Need feedback for my playgym! [Re: Puds] #376385 07/21/09 02:18 AM
KT 157 Offline
Friend
Friend
Looks great! did you buy pieces or did you make all pieces yourself?

~~ Smile Every Day ~~
Re: Need feedback for my playgym! [Re: KT 157] #376389 07/21/09 02:34 AM
T
thekeetdad Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
T
thats a really good one i should have made mine but i bought it frown

new bird mia
Re: Need feedback for my playgym! [Re: thekeetdad] #376401 07/21/09 03:14 AM
Puds Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
KT Justin (fiance) made it from woods that were bird approved. The base is the only piece that was not altered. Its actually a shelf from a cabinet...or something like that. Some of the toys are made from string, straws beads and time. i would say the toys took more time then money, as well as the entire stand. The strings are knotted about 30 times, and then secured with force in a hole...ugh! Safty was #1 and i took more then i wanted to toys apart due to safety.

Cerdull. this probably took about 10$ to make...abouts. But over a month of planning and making. It also took crazy big machine tools that are really loud and make mess frown I am planning on buying my next one! Just to try to save from cleaning darn saw dust up....not to mention having a half finished project haunting my OCD clean room...

New pics soon smile
Re: Need feedback for my playgym! [Re: Puds] #376406 07/21/09 03:31 AM
T
thekeetdad Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
T
10$ is cheaper than buying them they are like 15$ so a 5 dollar difference, But. I would say 5$ more is better than doing the work, But still I think, I am gonna make me one smile

new bird mia
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Growing my own greens for my birds question
by LA-Birds - 09/24/21 10:17 PM
Make sure you have a solid business plan
by allenlu - 09/24/21 05:51 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by allenlu - 09/24/21 02:31 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site