Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
neighborhood cat issue #376303 07/20/09 07:15 PM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
I have posted before on the cats in our neighborhood. They are getting to be a huge problem.
My neighbor keeps her cats outside all the time. They come over and poo in my flowers and have scratched up several plants. Not only that but I am very allergic to them. I can't even work in my flower beds without sneezing and my eyes swelling up. Not cool. I have talked with her about this many times. She really does not care or laughs it off.
I have tried many things to keep them out. Cat rid spray and if I can catch them soaking them and where they are sleeping with a hose. 3 out of the 4 cats got the message and they no longer mess with our house. I finally had to talk with my neighbor again and pretty much beg her to keep the one cat inside.
This lasted for a month. Now all the cats are back outside again.
Plus there are about 6 strays. We have a very large backyard and I like to feed the wild birds and put up nest boxes. I can no longer do this. All spring I have seen the cats stalk and try to kill the baby birds. I chase them off but I cannot do this all the time. So finally I had to take down all of the nest boxes and the feeders. Last night a cat killed a robin in the back yard. I had been watching this little robin grow up all week. I am so mad.

I want to call animal control but I dont want to anger my neighbors. They know I dont like cats and I am at a loss for what to do.
I cannot feed the birds in my own yard or work in my garden because of all of the cats. Is this fair??

What would you all do? Do I even have a right to do anything? I know that many here are cat lovers. I am not saying that people should not own cats I just want to be able to enjoy my house.

RIP Peeps
Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: val313] #376307 07/20/09 07:21 PM
A
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
A
call animal control. it is what is best and they wont tell them it was you who called, they wont even tell them they got a call at all.

it is a health hazard as i am sure the cats arent vaccinated nor spayed/nuetered, it is unfair to the cats and unfair to you.

they will pick them up and find them good home, or if they feel the people will comply with city laws and follow guidelines set out they will allow them to keep them.

Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: val313] #376308 07/20/09 07:21 PM
Niki Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Is there a way to file a report about such things? I'm not really sure. I mean... not animal control, but some sort of police report? Does that relate? I mean, cause you talked to the neighbor and the cats are technically her property and responsibility. If the cats are harming your property and impeding your activities of daily living, that can surely become a legal issue.

I do like cats though and would act differently. But seeing as you can't even act differently because of your allergies, telling you what I would do wouldn't really help. :P

Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: Niki] #376309 07/20/09 07:29 PM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
I didnt get to explain better my computer logged me off.
I have complained to animal control before about a dog that was loose. It bit a mans dog while they were walking and tried to bite me one morning. The dog ended up being taken away. But my next door neighbor figured out that I called. (she has the cats) I know if I call again and her cats get taken away there will be a problem. She is a great neighbor besides the cat issue.
I just dont want to be the hated person in the neighborhood. I hate seeing birds get killed in my yard all the time.

RIP Peeps
Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: val313] #376312 07/20/09 07:35 PM
A
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
A
sadly the only way to get the issue under control is to get animal control and your local shelter involved. the cats will only multiply.

it is kitten season right now, so expect to see a surge in young cats in the next month or two.

un fixed cats are a very very serious problem, a single female and her descendants can produce up to 400,000 cats in a single year !!!!!!

and those cats arent being cared for properly if they are just out roaming around the neighborhood, sorry to say it.

if she finds out its you then tell her you are sorry but you had no choice. let her be upset, id wager that you probally arent the only neighbor who is anoyyed by it...

Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: val313] #376313 07/20/09 07:36 PM
Niki Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I can sympathize with being the hated neighbor thing. We called once when I was really little about our neighbors dogs. But they were scum bags, in all honesty.

I think it comes down to what's more important to you, really. No one is getting hurt, but YOU are having to change and alter your activities of daily living because your neighbor will stubbornly not listen to your very kind requests.

Plus, if you had to call on her before... don't you think maybe she doesn't know how to take care of animals? That's certainly a thought too!

Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: Niki] #376318 07/20/09 07:42 PM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
It was another neighbor that I had to call on. Thanks for the tips. I will make the call tomorrow morning. It just hit a nerve last night when I had to take everything down after that poor little robin got eaten.

RIP Peeps
Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: val313] #376329 07/20/09 09:18 PM
A
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
A
yea that would be the breaking point for me too.

we have a ton of strays here because our old complex manager used to feed them all. i have trapped many of them and taken them into work an dgot the fixed and they are in happy homes now, but its a never ending issue, once they are there, its very hard to get rid of them.

Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: ] #376335 07/20/09 09:50 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Aminah (helwa)
un fixed cats are a very very serious problem, a single female and her descendants can produce up to 400,000 cats in a single year !!!!!!

I think you may have overstated the volume of cats a single mom can produce in a single year.

Re: neighborhood cat issue [Re: BLR] #376337 07/20/09 10:00 PM
Puds Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
"And her descendants". That means her males cats kids, as well as her female cats kids...then their kids....their kids...so on.

New pics soon smile
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Why in 2013 Abercromibie Fitch Jackets So Popular?
by Conrad John - 11/23/21 09:15 PM
What is Sustainable Leeather
by alishanathaniel - 11/21/21 11:21 PM
Assessing Your Local Tire Recycling Market
by allenlu - 11/15/21 08:21 AM
Xanax cod saturday delivery fedex
by Walgreens USA - 10/29/21 09:43 AM
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by modafinilxpills - 10/27/21 08:32 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site