LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: To help newbies (and some "old"bies too) [Re: KentuckyChicken] #365662 05/11/09 09:47 PM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
Originally Posted By: KentuckyChicken
Well I had to take it out, Tucky got xxxxxx about about dumped it on the bottom of the cage! haha. I'll try again tomorrow. smile
Yeah, just keep trying each day for about 2 hours. Are you putting it in their normal seed dish? It helps if you do because, not only does it have familiar seed on the top, but it is also in the dish they KNOW contains food.

Last edited by PDM; 05/11/09 10:03 PM.
Re: To help newbies (and some "old"bies too) [Re: Dixie&Miss' Mama] #375833 07/16/09 11:53 PM
KT 157 Offline
Friend
Friend
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS THREAD!! I do have a bunch of questions if anyone can help.. please! Boo Boo is getting comfy with me and I feel its ok to try to get her to eat better! She LOVES LOVES LOVES the seed. She eats it and only it all day. Today.. (it's been a week since I've gotten her) she had a couple bites of millet. I use the Kaytee fiesta mix seed as well. I mix with seed ecotrition variety blend fruit and seed.I also bought kaylor or colorado sweet harvest fruit mix, looks like dried fruit. Since I've read that budgies only eat fruit like two weeks a year so I don't know if she will eat or if she should...

I was wondering.. what is pellets? I haven't seen these yet. Should I buy these?

I will try the baby food way first. sounds pretty solid to me.

How do I know if she is eating too much seed?... I don't want her to get a tumor.. also I don't know how to watch her protein intake.

SO what I need is Baby food (organic), veggies (organic), pellets (which brand?)..

Should I try on the bottom of the cage first, or up high?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for all the help really!!! smile

~~ Smile Every Day ~~
Re: To help newbies (and some "old"bies too) [Re: ] #375835 07/17/09 12:18 AM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
Good topic! I had wasted so much time & money on veggies when trying to get my girl to eat them. I'd spend hours trying to puree, chop, dice-I tried almost everything. What worked for me is giving her choices. She likes to have a variety so she gets pellets, veggies, and herbs (dried & fresh) 24/7. She is only given seed for a short time and millet is only given during training. Treats are given maybe once a month.
If given all, she makes the right choice-she eats a little seed, more pellets, then alot of veggies. But I have learned if I leave seed in there she will pig out on it and gain weight, so I only offer it for 15-60 minutes a day.
What worked for her with converting was offering veggies as toys-with leaves & stems on and hanging them where her toys were. She likes 'em wet and cool. She will play with them then eat them. Now she also eats them in her normal food dish chopped up.
One thing to mention about veggies is organic is best. Alot of veggies & fruits are sprayed with pesticides specifically designed to keep birds from eating them, so even if washed, the chemicals are inside, in the seeds, & in the skin and these could kill or make your bird very sick.

Re: To help newbies (and some "old"bies too) [Re: Love My Budgies] #375839 07/17/09 12:46 AM
S
skipperdog Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
S
My birds get seed mix, Harrisons high potency pellets and veggies free choice. Since they love to be out of the cage, I put the seeds in the cage, and the pellets and veggies in the area they play in. So, if they REALLY want seeds they have to climb down, enter the cage and eat them. The pellets and veggies are always right at hand. We use spray millet as a training aid only, and they are only fed it from human hands. It works for us.

Favorite greens are:

Broccoli
Italian Parsley
Curly Kale
Any dark green lettuce (cos, or escarole especially)

Favorite people food:
Shredded wheat biscuits
My hair. (Just a little humor there. Our female bird has taken to rummaging about in my hair and chewing it.)

Re: To help newbies (and some "old"bies too) [Re: skipperdog] #375840 07/17/09 01:08 AM
KT 157 Offline
Friend
Friend
so....... I should take the seed out of the cage? for long periods of time?.... while I have pellets and veggies in there?

~~ Smile Every Day ~~
Re: To help newbies (and some "old"bies too) [Re: KT 157] #375841 07/17/09 01:11 AM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted By: skipperdog
Our female bird has taken to rummaging about in my hair and chewing it.
ROFL -- guess you need preening? smile

Thanks, C-Mom, for all your work on this thread.

Originally Posted By: KT 157
what is pellets? I haven't seen these yet. Should I buy these?

How do I know if she is eating too much seed?... I don't want her to get a tumor.. also I don't know how to watch her protein intake.

Pellets are compacted little bits of lots of avian foods, kind of like dog chow. The main brands that I know of are Harrison's (sold only through vets and places with a vet connection, like Windy City Parrot), Roudybush, Lafeber, and ZuPreem (the last two are sold at Petsmart and Petco).

The basic idea is that they're a complete source of nutrition, but need to be supplemented with fresh veggies and seeds. As C-Mom said above, there's lots of debate about what proportion of seeds to pellets is best. I'll put links for further reading at the bottom of this post...

As for protein intake, I would say just go with what the pellet manufacturer recommends, or if you're worried, feed the bird a higher percentage of seeds than even the pellet co. recommends. The problem with an only-seed diet is that it's like a human eating only carbohydrates -- not complete protein, amino acids, etc.

Telling whether your budgie is pudgy is a tough issue! There are avian scales on the market (that come with a T-shaped perch), and some people use food scales that measures in grams (not ounces!). This is helpful, but your budgie has to be tame enough to step on the perch or in the bowl...

An avian vet can tell by feeling your bird, too (they feel for fatty deposits), and you can get a rough idea by feeling for your bird's keel bone --- gently run your finger down her front; you'll feel a slight vertical bone between her chest and leg area.

http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/products/harrisons.html

http://lafebercares.com/pinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=14&parent=8

Re: To help newbies (and some "old"bies too) [Re: ] #375842 07/17/09 01:38 AM
Kirby&Yoshi Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Thank you soo much! I've been wondering how to get them to start eating veggies/pellets. I'll try this as soon as I can smile

Re: To help newbies (and some "old"bies too) [Re: Kirby&Yoshi] #375845 07/17/09 01:47 AM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
To leave seeds or not to leave seeds (in the cage)? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the "tweets" and "acks" of outrageous fortune... But seriously: I agree with whoever said (above) that it's best to leave some seeds/pellets/combination of the two in the cage at all times. Budgies can starve to death if they don't understand that something is food or if they really don't like it.

Speaking of which, it's important to shake off or blow off the seed hulls several times a day; a food dish might look full, to us, but actually be nothing but empty hulls.

Re: To help newbies (and some "old"bies too) [Re: ] #375847 07/17/09 02:00 AM
KT 157 Offline
Friend
Friend
LOLOL That was super funny!! heehee I think that I would be most comfy with the leave in combo! Thank you so much!!

Another question.. if you will... Am I suppose to switch the seed twice a day? and if so am I suppose to throw away the seed because it looks like half of it is still good?

Don't know what to do.... thanks!!

~~ Smile Every Day ~~
Re: To help newbies (and some "old"bies too) [Re: KT 157] #375849 07/17/09 02:18 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
I give mine seed/pellet mixture-more seed than pellets. I worry about too much protein causing problems down the road.I guess the ratio of seed pellet is up to the individual after doing their research and deciding for themselves the pros and cons. smile They also get a variety of fresh veggies, all they can eat throughout the day. I do put just pellets in a small treat dish in cage and also on playstand, and they munch on those when the mood strikes them too. lol Haven't yet found a fruit that either will eat. There is dehydrated fruit in one of the seed mixes i use but idk if they really eat it or mostly it gets tossed out.
I switch their seed/pellet twice a day and whatever they don't eat i put outside for the wild birds.
KT-after a while you will be able to judge a little better about how much they eat and don't put as much in their dish to be wasted. Or you can blow off the hulls and add more to it. The only thing with that is maybe the stuff that is left uneaten is stuff they don't like? IDK
Have you tried any fresh vegs at all yet?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Growing my own greens for my birds question
by LA-Birds - 09/24/21 10:17 PM
Make sure you have a solid business plan
by allenlu - 09/24/21 05:51 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by allenlu - 09/24/21 02:31 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site