Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mutation health #375192 07/12/09 02:51 AM
L
lifewithpetz Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Over the past ten years, I have had four keets of my own. One green one, who has lived for ten years, and 3 blue/white ones. The three only lived to be 3,4, and 5 years old. My keets all get a good varied diet, in a safe environment. I do realize that getting an animal at a Petsmart is not the safest thing, but all of my keets, including my green girl, were bought there. I have a friend who had yellow, white, blue, and green, and only the green one lived past age 5 (though only to 7). Anyone else getting this result? We had to have inbred to get the different color mutations, and since green is a natural color they are probably not as inbred and therefore healthier. I'm just wondering if it is Petsmart or the species.

Re: Mutation health [Re: lifewithpetz] #375198 07/12/09 03:16 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
we should do a poll here on the forum and see what the results are. that is an awsome question!!

baby blue
Re: Mutation health [Re: baby blue] #375430 07/13/09 09:56 PM
I
ithica256 Offline
Regular
Regular
I
I posted this before and a poll would be fascinating to do.

According to Peter Sakas (thee Avian medicine expert):

You're lucky if your budgie lives to be five.

He knew of one to live to twenty.

English budgies are sweeter in temperament, but don't live as long.

The budgies that live the longest are the "American Parakeet," but the green and yellow ones (the ones that resemble wild ones the most).

Budgerigars are "tumor factories."

Personally my oldest was 12 and he was a white/yellow harlequin pattern. Right now I have six budgies over five, one is green, one is solid yellow,one is a harlequin pattern, two are blue/gray, one is blue.

Re: Mutation health [Re: ithica256] #375435 07/13/09 11:05 PM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
let's see what happens... i will collect the info if you want. i have been doing some "studies" (more like mucking around and guessing!!)looking at pics and reading to try to determine what the genetics are. i wish there was someone who could tell me if i am right or not! i have a question, out of all the stuff i've been checking out, i haven't seen anything on a "harlequin" pattern. do you think you could get some front view and back view pics on here so i can see what you are explaining?
i guess i will start the poll with you! are all your birds included, any that have passed on, as well? can you put an approximate age with each one please? thanx! smile
did you know, in the tongue of the native Australians, the word "budgerigar" literally means " good to eat"? i think it would take a good many to fill an empty stomach, or even make a good snack!! couldn,t imagine eating one of my babies... or anyone elses' for that matter! LOL!!!
so, does our experiment begin here? i'm gonna a thread to get it going, hope you don't mind. smile

baby blue
Re: Mutation health [Re: baby blue] #375486 07/14/09 07:40 AM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
I think this is an extremely interesting question. I hope those people whose budgies have recently passed away will not find this painful; there is a lot to be learned from everyone's experiences, in my opinion.

Re: Mutation health [Re: ] #375516 07/14/09 03:13 PM
Puds Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
When i was little. My first bird was a keet. I let the bird sit on my shoulder all day, while i was at school we would leave the radio on, but when i came home i went to Mr. salty. He sat with me, he learned to play tricks. His favorite things to do was play with cards by chewing and tossing them off the table and water. HE LOVED water, no problem to me either. I remember days after days of sitting at the kitchen table with him and playing/homeworking what ever needed to be done. His favorite snack by far was peas, and it was a hoot to see him eat! I was able to trim his nails, wings and we had a great bond. I am forever going to work on getting that bond with Puddles

the good years lasted only about 4. My [censored] of a mother put MY keet out of my reach, and she would yell at me if i climbed on a chair to get to my little bird. She bought a "pretty" bird hanger. I hated it, it swung widly and Mr Salty was so high! i was 9-10 at the time, and "mother knows best" the responsibilty led to my father, well because my mother could care less about Mr. Salty. I remember talking to my daddy about it, and he told me i cannot let my bird out any more. That the door frame had been nibbled on, and it was best to keep him in his cage. I can let him out if he hug out on the table with me.

Well when my mother was away, the bird will play laugh Sadly though this was only 15 minutes before her work ended. I noticed that my little bird got smaller, and eventually did not want to play with me anymore. He started to run from my hand, and that hurt. A few days later my bird passed away. I came home from school sick and climbed up on a chair, to see my blue beauty passed away.

I took all his toys the remainder of his food and placed it in a box. I had my father burry my love by my tree swing in the back yard. We placed his toys with him and sprinkled his food/snacks in there. I bult a cross from his perches and planted flowers. The mound of dirt has long since sunk and went back to normal, but everytime i look out my window/play on swing/ sit outside i see the spot where my bird is. It hurt to see him die, but it hurt worse to know that my bird probably died from a broken heart. He wouldent eat, i couldent have him out 6 hours a day as i used too. He went from a thiving bird that couldent get enough of me, to a terrified creature...in a matter of under a month. Maybe even a week or two if i can remember clearly. Its only one of the many things i will never forgive my mother for.

Re: Mutation health [Re: Puds] #375526 07/14/09 04:04 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Aww man Kawaii. You made me cry frown I'm so sorry about your childhood friend. In case you hadn't figured it out already- Mom's don't ALWAYS know best. And I'm a mom myself..at least i admit i don't know it all!

Re: Mutation health [Re: kksuns] #375529 07/14/09 04:13 PM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Bless your heart. That seems so heartless! for what it's worth, there are some moms out there who do not think of their kids; it's all about them. Poor thing! I'm sorry for you.

I do think things happen for a reason. Maybe you learned something that you couldn't have learned any other way. especially with a mother like that. Maybe compassion.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: Mutation health [Re: tweetymom] #375533 07/14/09 04:26 PM
MELANIE12891 Offline
Regular
Regular
Your story made me cry, too, Kawaii ): That's heartbreaking.

Re: Mutation health [Re: MELANIE12891] #375544 07/14/09 05:00 PM
lovemykeets_2 Offline
Companion
Companion
Awww it made me cry too. i can't imagine taking my kids fave pet/toy away how cruel.

wing man
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Obesity raises Risk of Cancer
by landale - 12/01/22 11:40 AM
winter reminder for our birds
by AllanMajor - 11/27/22 06:25 PM
Mathematics tutor
by knightgael - 11/26/22 06:08 PM
Windows-Sicherheitsp
robleme

by landale - 11/26/22 02:30 PM
Jewelry Watches
by knightgael - 11/25/22 08:33 PM
Jewerly men's watch
by landale - 11/25/22 08:19 PM
How can you feed pigs inexpensively
by textekprinter - 11/25/22 02:17 AM
Help choose a gift for my brother
by knightgael - 11/24/22 01:37 PM
I want to buy a watch
by landale - 11/24/22 01:03 PM
Photo Print Sizes
by RandellHamilton - 11/23/22 04:00 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site