Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
keet laying on stomach? #374717 07/09/09 03:56 AM
M
mossy2 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hey all,

I have 8 keets and one of them, Sun, the most active one, has been laying on his stomach on the top of a nest box for the last few days. He doesn't do it all day...just when the group is resting. It seems like he is resting his stomach/chest, but I'm not sure if he is in pain or not.

Does anyone else's keets sleep on their stomach? Should I be concerned? Aside from this...he is active and eating, but his stool is slightly runny. Sun has rather long nails that need to be cut. Could it be that he can't stand on a flat surface because of his nail length?

Please let me know. Thanks!

Re: keet laying on stomach? [Re: mossy2] #374731 07/09/09 07:31 AM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Mossy, I am not one, but the experts on this forum will tell you that a a bird laying on his stomach with runny poops needs to be seen by an Avian vet ASAP!

They will also tell you that keets hide their illnesses for a long time.

What do you mean, "flat surfaces"? Do you handle your keets? If so, there are directions for clipping their nails here on the Lisa Shea section on caring for your bird.

In any case, something is wrong, and your best bet is to take him/her to be seen by an avian vet! I sure hope birdie is ok!

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: keet laying on stomach? [Re: tweetymom] #375044 07/11/09 01:01 PM
M
mossy2 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks Dinah! He's still extremely active, but we will still catch him lying on his stomach during "nap time". His stools are not as runny anymore, but I found him today continually picking at his vent and scratching it with his feet. I'll keep monitoring him to check the frequency of his sleeping habits. Does anyone else have a keet that lays on their stomach?

Re: keet laying on stomach? [Re: mossy2] #375046 07/11/09 02:00 PM
Puds Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Because you have 8 this may be a waste of time...Um lol are you sure its a male? Could it be wanting to lay some little eggs? But even with that

the runny poo (even on and off)
Vent bothering the bird
the odd behavior
and the long nails warrent a trip to the vet

It cannot hurt anything right? And your pet can come back with a check up and short nails. What kind of diet does the little one have?

New pics soon smile
Re: keet laying on stomach? [Re: Puds] #375204 07/12/09 04:26 AM
I
ithica256 Offline
Regular
Regular
I
I noticed two of my keets laying on their stomachs, but just once each. My oldest, Alex (age 9), has made it a habit of laying on her keel (breast bone) when resting, sometimes on the cage floor. I took her to the vet in May for this and again today because she's doing it more often. She's still active, chatty and eating. Right now she's chewing on a towel as she likes to do. The vet said she most likely has a cyst or tumor on her ovary. It's a pretty grim diagnosis and I've been weepy all day because I don't want to lose another one so soon. If your budgie is a male, he may have a tumor on his kidney which also has a poor prognosis. I'm sorry to suggest your budgie may have something like this, but this is what I've encountered. The vet prescribed azium (a steroid) to "buy time."
I would recommend you take your budgie to the vet. Hopefully it's something that's treatable if caught early enough.

Re: keet laying on stomach? [Re: Puds] #375214 07/12/09 02:49 PM
M
mossy2 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
thanks! sun is definitely the male (fathered 4 birds this past spring)! i think he could use a trip to the vet. for the past year or so he's had this large bulge on his chest that he can move to the side. i'm assuming this is his crop, but with his weird behavior, i'm afraid it's a tumor or a thyroid problem and it's causing him pain. i've heard that birds with a thyroid problem have a squeaky chirp and Sun does squeak a bit when he moves his crop to the side of his chest. does this sound familiar to anyone??

Re: keet laying on stomach? [Re: mossy2] #375221 07/12/09 04:22 PM
I
ithica256 Offline
Regular
Regular
I
I had a parakeet (two actually) with a thyroid problem. He had a goiter and because of the budgie's anatomy, it squeezes on the windpipe and causes them to wheeze all the time. It was just a faily squeak like he was out of breath, but he wouldn't stop. The vet prescribed lugol drops and he was fine. I got another budgie who was squeaking loudly. The man I got her from said she had been doing that the whole time he had her and the vet said it was normal. I was really worried because she was laboring to breathe. I gave her some of the lugol drops I had left over for a few days. After a day she hardly squeaked. By the second day she was breathing silently. It's somewhat common for budgies to get goiters and very treatable. The goiter was not visible though.

Re: keet laying on stomach? [Re: ithica256] #375290 07/12/09 11:54 PM
M
mossy2 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
hi thanks for the info. i don't find that sun has a hard time breathing at all. is it possible that sun just likes to rest on his stomach? he only does it when the rest of the clan is taking a nap.

Re: keet laying on stomach? [Re: mossy2] #375329 07/13/09 03:44 AM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
They can get mites in their lungs, too. That's a possibility. Two of my birds actually had that and when they breathed, you could see it going up and down. IDK. But you would have to get something from your AVet to treat it with.

Isn't the crop further up in the cheek area?

Either way, are you taking them to the vet?

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: keet laying on stomach? [Re: tweetymom] #375331 07/13/09 03:51 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
i would have to say, when in doubt... go to the vet. better safe than sorry. good luck.

baby blue
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Obesity raises Risk of Cancer
by landale - 12/01/22 11:40 AM
winter reminder for our birds
by AllanMajor - 11/27/22 06:25 PM
Mathematics tutor
by knightgael - 11/26/22 06:08 PM
Windows-Sicherheitsp
robleme

by landale - 11/26/22 02:30 PM
Jewelry Watches
by knightgael - 11/25/22 08:33 PM
Jewerly men's watch
by landale - 11/25/22 08:19 PM
How can you feed pigs inexpensively
by textekprinter - 11/25/22 02:17 AM
Help choose a gift for my brother
by knightgael - 11/24/22 01:37 PM
I want to buy a watch
by landale - 11/24/22 01:03 PM
Photo Print Sizes
by RandellHamilton - 11/23/22 04:00 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site