Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The perfect cage...inside? #374265 07/06/09 01:30 PM
Puds Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
I am having a hard time, and maybe you guys can help me! smile

What does my bird cage need inside, I have 2 cages, and i just switched to give puddles about 3-4 inches more. The space added is a large differace! My cage is not small, ummm... http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Aviary-Bird-...=8-4/glitter0c/

And the old one is http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_633514_avian_select_faux_stainless_steel_reviews

The toys i have are a swing with bells..AKA her bed
Plastic rings that she has never really played with
Blastic balls that she swigs from, they took center stage
a Perch with beads all over that she loves to "back and fourth.."
And of course her tuff of sewing sting that she rubs in, and chews about 5-6 times a day..(and tries to untie knots)

Then perches she has a 7 inch long dowl rod
A "edible perch" She loves
Insight perch
Training perch only about 3 inches long
Of course she has perches infront of her dishes also

She has a cuddlebone that is reachable by 2 perches
she has some ..parsly (spelling is off i think) that i put in her cage daily...well i guess 3 times a day.
I hand feed her millet and a bit of "fruit and veggie" snacks

My birthday is coming up and i am getting her a rope perch that i will some how fit into her cage, maybe removing the dowl all together (she has a play gym made out of them, so i think she gets enough)

What are things that i need? Am i missing anything? I feel her cage is boring, (but really she plays all day, and i dont see signs of her feeling bored and tired with it.) Oh and anyone able to know about toys that can be hung from the side instead top of cage?

New pics soon smile
Re: The perfect cage...inside? [Re: Puds] #374282 07/06/09 04:35 PM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
just make sure you're rotating her toys... even if she likes them you should take one out and put a new one in every once in a while and move them around the cage, I have some toys in there that were never played with and i moved them like 2 spaces over and now everyone loves it...

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: The perfect cage...inside? [Re: ShamRockStar] #374285 07/06/09 05:33 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
I can't think of anything you're missing. And it can't be too boring if she seems content and plays all day! LOL
Sounds like Puddles likes chewing on fringe/tassel thingies like Levi. Actually I'm noticing Ziggy likes them too now. Anyway if she's not playing with the ring toy you could try tying some tassel like thingies on with hemp string, or sometimes i use 100%cotton string. It always seems to get Levi interested.
You could even just string a few pony beads, or whatever beads you might have that are at least the size of pony beads, on hemp string and tie to the side of the cage here and there.
Here's a site with reasonably priced bird toys, some are downright cheap! LOL Scroll thru and you'll see dif ones that attach to side of cage. Some have mirrors and IDK if you allow Puddles to have a mirror yet? But some don't.
http://www.bird.com/bird-toys/toys-for-small-birds/622/
If you buy from the site it would be good to scoop up some of the cheaper ones even if they are hanging ones so you have stuff to switch with. Look around..they have rope perches etc too smile

When is your Birthday???

Re: The perfect cage...inside? [Re: kksuns] #374383 07/07/09 12:42 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Click on "sort by" and go to sort price low to high

Re: The perfect cage...inside? [Re: Puds] #374390 07/07/09 02:47 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
You'll figure it out by trial and error-what your bird likes and what makes it happiest if you pay attention to her body language, play time, etc.
I have read the "ideal" you should have is a bath tub, at least 3 different perches, a ladder, a swing, at least 3 toys, something to shred and something to forage in. It is also good to rotate different toys every 3 days so they don't get bored or become territorial.
I follow the above and use veggies as added toys-she loves to shred & munch long strips of broccoli, celery, parsley, kale, spinach, wheatgrass, & romaine lettuce.
Not only do I hang veggies from the side, but she has movable toys that clip onto the side-one resembles a toy lawn mower with a bell inside that she likes to spin, an orb of movable rings she likes to spin, a bell with tassles, a play perch with toys on & in it, and a few others I don't know how to describe.

Re: The perfect cage...inside? [Re: Love My Budgies] #374400 07/07/09 03:56 PM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Unregistered
C

Re: The perfect cage...inside? [Re: ] #374461 07/07/09 06:22 PM
Jasper's mom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
These are some of Jasper's favorites:

This one he LOVES (likes the plastic chains) talks to it all the time (also this site has lots and lots and lots of things for birds)
http://www.globalpets.com/SPD/bbbt-bgb-baby-golf-ball-7-in-small-bird-toy--80004958-1190393919.jsp

He has to have a shredder pinata thing at ALL times:
http://www.birdieboutique.com/pp03134.html

And he loves the munch balls. This one is great because you can reuse the kabob, either with food or what I do is buy bags of the munch balls and refill it all the time smile
http://www.globalpets.com/SPD/super-bird...-1203437716.jsp

You will find out by trying different toys which ones your bird loves and just can't do without. Jasper has his must haves in at all times, and then I rotate others in and out smile

Re: The perfect cage...inside? [Re: Jasper's mom] #374464 07/07/09 06:36 PM
C
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
Sharon those munch balls look cool!!

Re: The perfect cage...inside? [Re: ] #374475 07/07/09 07:25 PM
Jasper's mom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I also string the munch balls on some thin leather cord, tie a bell on the end, and hang them up smile

Re: The perfect cage...inside? [Re: Jasper's mom] #375264 07/12/09 09:42 PM
B
BijousMom85 Offline
Companion
Companion
B
Is it okay for keets to share toys? The woman that I got Bijou from told me to wash any toys thoroughly and not let the birds play with shared toys. She did not seem knowledgable AT ALL so I don't believe much of what she told me, however this seems like something that might be true to avoid spreading anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Growing my own greens for my birds question
by LA-Birds - 09/24/21 10:17 PM
Make sure you have a solid business plan
by allenlu - 09/24/21 05:51 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by allenlu - 09/24/21 02:31 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site