Print Thread
I might be doing everything wrong... #372741
06/25/09 06:55 PM
06/25/09 06:55 PM
California
Kareki Offline OP
Kareki  Offline OP

California
I got two parakeets one week ago. They're used to their new home and happily chatter to each other and me. But in hand training, I'm afraid I'm incredibly impatient and easily disheartened lol.
Someone told me a good idea is to separate them to get them used to the hand one at a time. So I used grandma's extra cage and they are now separated. I feel really bad because they now seem so sad without their buddy. frown I gently offer a spray of millet to each one, like the book said... but I'm suddenly afraid I could be doing everything wrong and ruining their trust forever. Like I said, easily disheartened and quite melodramatic. XD
Help please. ;n; Advice or scolding, I need lots of it. My first birds ever so I'm cluuuueless.

Last edited by Kareki; 06/25/09 07:05 PM.
Re: I might be doing everything wrong... [Re: Kareki] #372751
06/25/09 07:16 PM
06/25/09 07:16 PM
Midwest
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Love My Budgies  Offline
Long Time Friend

Midwest
Welcome to the forum! smile There are many kind & helpful people here, so you will get some great answers & tips.
My advice would be to first decide how and what you'd like to train your birds to do or say. Some people are ok with their birds bonding with each other and not being free flighted or hand trained, others teach tricks, words, and share a close bond. Whatever works for you is ok.
Then realize it will take lots of time & patience - sorry, but there is no way around it.
Then find a reputable source for detailed info, such as an online bird trainer or books by experts. People here are wonderful and helpful, but alot are also newbies and can give out incorrect info, so double check everything just to keep your birds safe.
Two birds will have a bond together and may not want anything to do with you, so if you want to hand train them and have a bond with you, you will have to at least train them separately. They may be ok together at other times, but I am not sure-I only have 1 bird because I wanted a strong bond and for her to talk (2 birds together would be really hard to train to talk, since they share their own language).
Be sure to enjoy your birds and give them plenty of love and attention no matter what! Budgies are silly little birds who bring so much joy to our lives.
A great book I highly recommend is Getting Started Clicker Training For Birds by Melinda Johnson. It explains why birds do the things they do and how to adjust your behavior to get them to do what you want, and why you should never punish them, only offer positive reinforcement.
Another thing to get started with ASAP is fresh, organic veggies. Budgies need them to live long & healthy lives. A seed diet is the equivalent of feeding a human only twinkies-Budgies can get tumors and die from to much. Proper nutrition will also help with training, since lack of nutrition just like with humans, can make your birds moody and aggressive.
Good luck!

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Do you practice tsundoku?
by Sherrylin. 01/18/20 07:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
General Discussion
Books, TV, Movies
Da Vinci Code
Dreams
Japanese Culture
Life, Universe, Everything
Online Courses
Politics
Religious Research
Show Your Own Work
Work From Home / Writing

Parakeets
General Parakeet Chat
Keet Stories and Photos
Parakeet Photo Gallery
Budgie Training
Health and Medical Issues
Parakeet Breeding
In Memory Of ...
Non-Budgie Pets and Animals
Non-Budgie Animal Photos
Off-Topic for Keet Owners
Games
Animal Rights
Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site