Print Thread
Share your thoughts on an odd number of keets #370767 06/10/09 01:39 PM
S
skipperdog Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
S
Since it seems that Petey and Peppy are bonded, I think Pip is a bit left out. Do you think I ought to get him a friend of his own?

They don't pick on him, or run him off, it's just they always sit together and Pip is sort of off on his own.

If I do get him a friend, the bird will eventually be sharing the same cage after the quarantine period, so do you think I ought to get another boy? Will two females fight?

What do you think?

Re: Share your thoughts on an odd number of keets [Re: skipperdog] #370769 06/10/09 01:46 PM
**mattie** Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Wow. I have no clue one bit.
Hmm.
I am sorry but what are the sexes of those 3 birds?
I don't think I saw your post on if they were girls or boys. I apologize.

This is my thought. I have no experience but here is my thought.
You should buy another cage for Pip.
& buy a new little friend for Pip.

But for playtime you should bring them all out and have everyone play together smile
That is my thought.

I think PDM or Helwa would know better than me since i am not experienced.

Re: Share your thoughts on an odd number of keets [Re: **mattie**] #370779 06/10/09 03:27 PM
lindap23 Offline
Friend
Friend
I think that is totally up to you if you think that pip needs a friend then I say go for it but just to say that you might get a new parakeet and it dose not get along with pip or dose not want to be friends with pip then I think that it is a waste if that is the only reason that you got another parakeet. I think that you should also know that you really want another one as well.Also you should look at if you can afford another one right now as far as food and vet ect. I have 3 right now and it is going to just have to stay like that because I know my faimily cannot afford more then 3 of these little guys to be able to take care properly for the ones that we have and so I think that you need to go through thinking on this and if you say yes to all of this then I would say go out and get pip alittle friend to play with hopefully they get along though.

My babies summer,winter and zypher
Re: Share your thoughts on an odd number of keets [Re: lindap23] #370787 06/10/09 04:48 PM
lagirl143 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I had an odd flock for a while (2 females, 1 male), the 2 females would always hang out together making Peace feeling left out. Then I bought another male hoping he’ll be friend with Peace. Now the 2 females are much less bonded with each other, they all kinda play together which is pretty sweet of them. Sometimes, Peace would go hang out with the new kid while the other 2 females play together. Or other time Peace would just be sitting in a little corner by himself chirping...while the other 3 are going crazy. But overall, I think he's happy - or at least I hope so. lindap23 made a good point that it’s not guarantee the new keet will get along with your current one. So be prepared, but I hope everything works out well with your flock

R.I.P SKY
2/19/08

My baby PEACE
Missing 7/3/09
frown
Re: Share your thoughts on an odd number of keets [Re: lagirl143] #370801 06/10/09 06:44 PM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
i have 5. i have noticed that they are very much like children! i have an open cage policy... they all gather together in diff places at diff times. one minute froot loop will be the outsider, the next redneck, the next nik nak. there is always one that's like "mommy... tell them to let me play too!" it just switches around. i don't think the "odd bird out" is suffering any damage, as long as he isn't being physically hurt by the others. in any kind of animal, there are always the loners or "black sheep". perhaps another way of thinking about it us... maybe he doesn't mind or prefers things the way they are. then he can sit quietly on the outside and watch the goings on without trouble! lol!

baby blue
Re: Share your thoughts on an odd number of keets [Re: baby blue] #370808 06/10/09 07:23 PM
S
skipperdog Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
S
Thank you all for your replies.

Answers:

The keets all get along, sort of. My female, Peppy bosses the boys around something fierce, but there is no bloodshed, just bickering about who gets to play with the toys, eat the broccoli first, etc.

She and Petey, feed and groom each other, even thoough she does pick on him at times. Petey will feed and groom Pip, but Peppy wants nothing to do with Pip.

They tolerate each other pretty well.

And as far as me wanting another keet, well, I always want another keet. And we can afford to care for another one.

But, I don't think that we'll purchase another keet right now. I have this feeling that somewhere along the lines we may meet up with a keet that needs a forever home, and he or she will be the one we adopt/rescue.

We did buy Pip, but I think of him more as a rescue. He was all alone in a dirty, poorly lit cage, with a dish of what looked mostly like seed hulls and a dirty water dish with evaporation rings on it. My kind hearted 8 year old just couldn't leave him in the store because he said that Pip looked like he was in "bird jail".

Re: Share your thoughts on an odd number of keets [Re: skipperdog] #370824 06/10/09 09:41 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I had Batboy, Greengirl and Prettygirl together, they were adopted together in one cage (someone didnt want them). Batboy and Prettygirl were always together and Greengirl was a loner. Then Prettygirl passed away of tumeors and still Greengirl and Batboy kind of ignored each other. I then got a large flight cage and put them in with Sweetgiro and Sweetboy who were together for 2 yrs, the 2 cages were next to each other. Sweetboy was still with Sweetgirl and sometimes paid attention to Greengirl. Then after a year and a half Sweetboy passed away. Batboy is now with Sweetgirl a lot and Greengirl is still a loner. So I guess it really depends on the birds and their personalities what will happen. My girls squabble sometimes but they did that just as much when there were 2 boys.

Re: Share your thoughts on an odd number of keets [Re: Cetan] #370930 06/12/09 01:41 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
so sweet how you got him. we are suckers for punishment aren't we? lol

baby blue
Re: Share your thoughts on an odd number of keets [Re: baby blue] #370992 06/12/09 01:30 PM
S
skipperdog Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
S
Thanks. It was a tough decision.

What went through my head was: I shouldn't impulse buy a pet. If I buy him, then the store will replace him, and they will put the new birds in the same bad conditions. If I don't buy him, then that sweet little baby will live in those bad condidtions. And my son will be heartbroken. Etc., etc.

I'm glad we have him.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site