Page 1 of 2 1 2
vegtables #369148 05/29/09 05:45 AM
parak33tz Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
my keets only eat seeds
seedsseedsseeds

i did everything to make them eat vegtables, i am not gunna try to feed pellets anymore all they do is destroy them and throw them on my carpet(lol)

so what showuld i do??can they get a tumour from only seed diet?

Keets: Tweetie, Shisha, Zayman
Cockatiels: Mohawk, Fohawk
Finches: Finchy, Zebray
Hamster: Hamsty
Re: vegtables [Re: parak33tz] #369149 05/29/09 06:06 AM
A
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
A
it is a possibility.

take a break and try again in a two weeks. dont stress out about it, they have to first recognize the items as food before they will eat them.

try serving them in different dishes, or ground up the brocoli in the food processor and mix it into the seeds. (throw the entire dish out after a few hrs)

try organic human baby foods.

they do need to eat fresh foods and pellets, its extremly important.

dont get frustrated, just be patient and take a break.

Re: vegtables [Re: ] #369150 05/29/09 06:14 AM
AllieD Offline
Companion
Companion
Try the fruity pellets! My keet was VERY picky about what he ate--it was only seeds for a while, too. The first time I gave him the fruity pellets, he went nuts over them! Since then I've introduced similar smelling fruits and veggies and he's less hesitant. Also try some oat groats either mixed in with chopped boiled egg or by themselves, just so they get used to trying new things. Good luck!

Peace and Long Life.
Live Long and Prosper.
Re: vegtables [Re: AllieD] #369169 05/29/09 02:46 PM
K
KentuckyChicken Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
K
I had bought the harrisons pellets but my birds just refused to eat them after it had been over a month. I went to Petsmart and got the fruity smelly ones by Kaytee and those I have actually seen them eat finally. So maybe try those, they smell good enough to eat! That would at least be as start to pellet switch over.

As far as the veggies I don't know if I had recommended this to you or not, but I started hanging the brocoli and kale where I normally hang their millet. It made the transition easy, but...I have a flock so it is probably easier for just one of them to take that first bite, then the rest join in.

The Kentucky Flock
Re: vegtables [Re: KentuckyChicken] #369215 05/29/09 08:28 PM
R
re88 Offline
R
where do i get the fruity pellets and what are they called? i am looking at petsmart.com and not seeing them. no one has them where i live so i need to buy online. my little bird is beyond stubborn (and his mate that just died last week was a seed problem child too!)

Re: vegtables [Re: re88] #369222 05/29/09 08:55 PM
K
KentuckyChicken Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
K
Originally Posted By: re88
where do i get the fruity pellets and what are they called? i am looking at petsmart.com and not seeing them. no one has them where i live so i need to buy online. my little bird is beyond stubborn (and his mate that just died last week was a seed problem child too!)

The name of the pellets is Kaytee Exact Rainbow. I got mine at Petsmart.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5911+5913+5999&pcatid=5999

Here is just one link to it, just type Kaytee exact rainbow pellets or with out the rainbow word in your search and it will come up with lots of sites that sell them.

The Kentucky Flock
Re: vegtables [Re: KentuckyChicken] #369226 05/29/09 09:29 PM
R
re88 Offline
R
thank you so much! none of them actually say "pellets", so i wasn't sure. i will order some right now and keep your fingers crossed for me that little mister stubborn likes them! he is super cute, but this will be a serious challenge.

Last edited by re88; 05/29/09 09:31 PM.
Re: vegtables [Re: re88] #369227 05/29/09 09:33 PM
K
KentuckyChicken Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
K
It has directions on the back of how to switch them over with in a month. but man they smell soooo goood! lol Glad I could help smile

The Kentucky Flock
Re: vegtables [Re: re88] #369229 05/29/09 09:46 PM
R
re88 Offline
R
i have another food question - what about the kaytee fiesta mix? is that sufficient since it has everything? or are the pellets still better?

Last edited by re88; 05/29/09 09:47 PM.
Re: vegtables [Re: re88] #369232 05/29/09 10:01 PM
K
KentuckyChicken Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
K
Right now I use the Kaytee Forti diet and mix in my pellets. Then in the treat cup I put in the dried fruits and seeds mix (comes in a can) a molting mix (when one is molting) And then a grains mix in my regular seed. Again the fruit, molting and grains come in cans so they are different from the seeds.

Then after that, I hang up their fresh veggies and I'm slowly working on fresh fruit.

The Fiesta might be good if you want that all mixed together, but I prefer the treat cup cause then I can add some carrot shreds and what not in as well.

The Kentucky Flock
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site