Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
is it too soon to put a keet on my shoulder? #367264 05/19/09 11:39 PM
budgiesrule Offline OP
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
hi all! i am so wanting to put a keet on my shoulder, train the two seperately.
when can i do that?
what age?
or just go for it!!

Re: is it too soon to put a keet on my shoulder? [Re: budgiesrule] #367265 05/20/09 12:05 AM
Chocoemilk Offline
Friend
Friend
Hmmm. You can TRY and put your keet on your shoulder when he is hand trained, don't force him though. You know your budgie is hand trained when you offer your hand to him and you tell him to come to your hand, generally with the word UP as the command, and then the budgie steps up to your hand if he's near, or flies to your hand if he's not so close. Then you can try putting your hand on your shoulder and see if he wants to stay there. That's what you can try for your birdies to see if they want to stay on your shoulder. It's important they trust the hand before you let them stay on your shoulder in my opinion.

Of course when I say he, I mean he/she/they and when I say keet I mean your keetsm and when I say him I mean him/her/them, and by is I mean, is/are.

I hope that makes anysense.

~*¡Pericos!*~
Re: is it too soon to put a keet on my shoulder? [Re: budgiesrule] #367271 05/20/09 12:36 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
myself, i just go for it. when i am training new babies, usually is a game of catch. i will get one out, holding it in my hand gently untill it quiets. (rerassuring it and praising it) once quiet, put finger under toes. they are built that gripping is automatic. once grip set, let go of bird slowly, most times they will stand still. move slow and praise birdie. after a pause, it will usually fly away again. retrieve it gently in your hands and repeat process. once staying on finger, move it toward your shoulder and "tip' it off. should stay. if not repeat process. or, during catch and release put on shoulder not finger. you will feel the toes grip on. remove hand very slowly. a few times at these and i get hand and body training at the same time. my birds come to me when they are unsure of something and know above all, being handled won't hurt them. makes clipping wings, beaks and claws much easier, handling comfort is VERY important for say... emergencies or vet handling. this is how i like to do it, use your own judgement on how you decide to train your birds. but don't combine two diff kinds of training, it will confuse them.
good luck and have fun : )

baby blue
Re: is it too soon to put a keet on my shoulder? [Re: Chocoemilk] #367275 05/20/09 01:01 AM
N
noobataur Offline
Companion
Companion
N
Originally Posted By: Chocoemilk
Of course when I say he, I mean he/she/they and when I say keet I mean your keetsm and when I say him I mean him/her/them, and by is I mean, is/are.

I hope that makes anysense.

confused confused confused sick tired shocked frown

Last edited by minty moose; 05/20/09 01:02 AM.
Re: is it too soon to put a keet on my shoulder? [Re: baby blue] #367277 05/20/09 01:04 AM
budgiesrule Offline OP
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! one whole hour of hangin' out with jack!! he groomed me and nuzzled my face too!!

i got him trained to the 'step up" word from perch to finger

i think sally is NOT ready yet but hoooorah for jack!!!
too cool peeps too cool

Re: is it too soon to put a keet on my shoulder? [Re: budgiesrule] #367285 05/20/09 01:45 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
OMG budgiesrule! That is awesome!! Yaaay Jack! Way to go smile
You have to be careful that he doesn't try to jump from your shoulder tho if he can't fly. I think I would do it sitting down, Do you know how well they can fly? I know that Levi was clipped so much when I got him that he couldn't even glide. THUMP..I hated it. Once he got some flight back I had to kind of teach him to fly. Maybe he was clipped before he even had the hang of flying?

I'm really happy for you. Congrats on the groomin and nuzzling and just plain hangin out! COOL!!!!!!

Re: is it too soon to put a keet on my shoulder? [Re: kksuns] #367292 05/20/09 02:28 AM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
Good job Jack!! Be aware though that as he gets a little older and more comfortable, he may take a step backwards. Maybe not but maybe. wink Just keep up with gentle training and he will be ok and so will you.

Re: is it too soon to put a keet on my shoulder? [Re: ] #367293 05/20/09 02:32 AM
lindap23 Offline
Friend
Friend
wow you are lucky. Did you just get Jack and Sally and did you get them from a pet store becuase it sounds like they have come a long way in a short time. I am just getting my keets used to my hand being in the cage. They are getting better and not fleeing from me when I put my hand in there. Now they sit there and they just kinda do there own thing and not even paying attention that I am in there but not really willing to get on my finger yet.So I hope that they keep going forward in there training smile

My babies summer,winter and zypher
Re: is it too soon to put a keet on my shoulder? [Re: lindap23] #367305 05/20/09 03:14 AM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
that's great if he's been hand trained.try to trained them one at a time.welcome to the forum.

when you wish upon a star,you pray you wish comes true.
Re: is it too soon to put a keet on my shoulder? [Re: big bad momma] #367311 05/20/09 04:16 AM
budgiesrule Offline OP
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
i bought both at petco they said they were super young and they had never gotten such pretty birds or such youngins before
not hand trained
they are a pip i will tell ya that

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site