Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
baby robins :) #367296 05/20/09 02:43 AM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
A family of robins have a nest on the side of our garage, as I discovered yesterday when I went out to trim this out-of-control ivy plant:

The nest is at the upper left-hand side of the top of the ivy; it's about six feet off the ground:

Mama and Papa Robin flew off when I approached, so I just stood on tiptoe and held the camera over the nest and took a few pics:

I didn't prune the ivy and tried to avoid that part of the garden/yard, but I later sat quietly about 20 ft. away and got a quick, crummy pic of a very mad Mama Robin back on the nest. If looks could kill...!

Looked today (at a respectful distance - lol) and things seem okay. I'll check in a few days but I don't want to disturb them any more than I have.

Re: baby robins :) [Re: ] #367298 05/20/09 02:49 AM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
aww that is precious !!!! just dont scare them off, if the mom feels too intimidated or threatened she may kill her young and fly away frown ...not that you are gona go out and throw rocks at her or something LOL

that nest is simply awesome, i am always utterly fascinated by birds nests ... so intricate:)

Re: baby robins :) [Re: ] #367300 05/20/09 02:58 AM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted By: *helwa
... just dont scare them off, if the mom feels too intimidated or threatened she may kill her young and fly away )
Yes, that's what I'm worried about. I am torn between taking more chick pics and just leaving them alone... I was very happy to see her back on the nest this afternoon but if I bother her she may see the situation as untenable and give up, which I really don't want to happen.

The other problem is that we have lots of feral cats in our area; one good leap and those chicks are done for... frown

Re: baby robins :) [Re: ] #367302 05/20/09 03:08 AM
T
The_Zookeeper Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
T
my friend's got some of those on her porch, too!

they're cute!

Re: baby robins :) [Re: The_Zookeeper] #367303 05/20/09 03:10 AM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
the mama will protect them smile you may want to keep an eye on when they start to stumble around, they often fall from the nest ...if that happens pick them up and put them back in and walk away

smile

Re: baby robins :) [Re: ] #367304 05/20/09 03:11 AM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
how blessed you are.I've seen baby birds but their not in the net.we've had hawks that animal protective services cane and trapped.

when you wish upon a star,you pray you wish comes true.
Re: baby robins :) [Re: big bad momma] #368724 05/25/09 08:50 PM
A
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
A
how are the birdies ?

Re: baby robins :) [Re: ] #368738 05/25/09 09:22 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
I totally missed this thread!
How are they doing? i bet they're getting big already.
We used to have robins that came back and built their nest in the same spot for a couple years in a row. Last year the dang blue jays chased them off frown
It's really cool to watch the babies grow. Kind of sad when they fly away but fun to watch flying lessons smile

Like Helwa said- those nests sure are amazing aren't they? Quite the little architects.

Re: baby robins :) [Re: big bad momma] #368741 05/25/09 09:42 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted By: Aminah (helwa)
the mama will protect them smile you may want to keep an eye on when they start to stumble around, they often fall from the nest ...if that happens pick them up and put them back in and walk away

smile
Good grief -- good thing you told me, or I would freak out if I saw that!
Originally Posted By: big bad momma
...we've had hawks that animal protective services cane and trapped.
Hey, BBM, how are you? smile Why did they trap them, to protect them?

Update: We've kept out of that part of the yard for, let's see, nearly a week now. I did go back and look on Sat. afternoon, and I could see two big beaks pointing skyward! I have seen Mama and Dad nearby, and I might check again later today. It's raining so they may have a gourmet wormy meal today!

When I go out to look at the nest, I try to act "birdish" and keep all the tips from bird books in mind, about little or no eye contact, look submissive, etc. so I don't seem threatening to Mama. I clasp my hands behind my back, glance around at the ground, preen my shoulder with my chin, and generally try to convey that I'm a large but harmless bird. Buuuuutttttt--- when the neighbors see me doing that, it's off to the looney bin for me!! lol

Plus, we can't go near our lawn chairs, can't enjoy our firepit, and that part of the lawn is getting funky... The things we do for dang birdies! smile

Re: baby robins :) [Re: ] #368747 05/25/09 09:53 PM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
ROFL, neighbours watching you preen.

Aww so sweet, and yes each nest is a work of art.

We sometimes get them in our fruit trees, my dad usually spot them if on a ladder pruning or whatever he does. I never see them, afraid of heights:(((

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site