LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: New budgie mamma....parakeet fainting? [Re: Godiva] #366138 05/14/09 08:00 AM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Glad to hear he is recovering. Very amusing story about his name!

My guess is that maybe budgies go into mild shock and stay very still, in response to what they perceive as a threat, but I agree with others that an avian vet should be consulted.

Re: New budgie mamma....parakeet fainting? [Re: ] #366144 05/14/09 08:37 AM
G
Godiva Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I did talk to the vet and they say it can happen from stress, especially if you have to chase the bird around in a big cage, having problems catching it. Also of course it's important not to apply preassure to the chest when holding it, and be as quick as can be about it.

They also said there is always a risk giving birds medication as you never really can tell the reaction from it. I think Mr. Winterbottom is feeling a lot better though, he is a lot more active, and he sure looks better.

I think the fainting issue came from stress of being caught and held. Hopefully it will not happen again, it went a lot better yesteraday when we gave him his medicine.

Re: New budgie mamma....parakeet fainting? [Re: Godiva] #366154 05/14/09 11:39 AM
Dixie&Miss' Mama Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
Ya! That's what Missy does. She has an injured wing and she runs as quick as lightning to the cage. lMBO. She goes to the back of the cage & then she crawls everywhere. She tries to jump on Dixie sometimes! ._.

Birds - Missy & Dixie
Fish - Chai-Chai

smile
Re: New budgie mamma....parakeet fainting? [Re: Dixie&Miss' Mama] #366158 05/14/09 12:28 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Godiva, I'm so glad to hear he's on the mend. Yay! And also that you talked to your vet about it. You must be so relieved!

Love the story behind the name smile Hope you're able to get Sir Toby or Mr Pommeroy some day. That would be cool!

Re: New budgie mamma....parakeet fainting? [Re: Godiva] #366282 05/15/09 03:32 AM
joandboys Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I thought I would share something with you all.
This isn't a technique that will work for everyone but I found it worked for me if I did it just right.

First of all Sweetie is fully finger trained and is not afraid of me or my hand. I have found, however, that he doesn't like to be caught. It doesn't matter what I am going to do. I have only had to catch him and hold him to trim nails or inspect for injury. I found out that if I got him to perch on my finger and walked to my hallway bathrom I could open the door and step in without turning on the light. He would stay on my finger and not move. I had to do this very slowly and close the door with my left hand. I then carefully raised my hand in the dark and cupped it around him. You have to make sure you know exactly where he is and don't make a mistake because if you scare him in the dark he could fly into a wall. If you hold him next to your chest on your right finger it is very easy to just put your left hand up and gently take him in your left hand.

Make sure you are ready to flip on the light if you miss him though. That way he will be able to see if he flies off.

It really did go quite smoothly, and it was much less stressful than chasing him around the cage.

Cookie and Sweetie
Re: New budgie mamma....parakeet fainting? [Re: Godiva] #366283 05/15/09 03:35 AM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
Originally Posted By: Godiva
......I think the fainting issue came from stress of being caught and held. Hopefully it will not happen again, it went a lot better yesteraday when we gave him his medicine.
I am so happy to read that the medicating went better yesterday. Hope he keeps getting better. My birdies are sending birdie well wishes his way!

Re: New budgie mamma....parakeet fainting? [Re: ] #366299 05/15/09 04:34 AM
Looney Luna Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Are Mr Winterbottoms wings clipped?

http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/kakeen1977/?action=view┬Ąt=677d47b4.pbw
Re: New budgie mamma....parakeet fainting? [Re: Looney Luna] #366305 05/15/09 05:08 AM
G
Godiva Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks all for your replies.
Joandboys.......thanks for the suggestion. I might try that. Yesterday went fairly well again. I just hate to stress him out so much.
LooneyLuna.....I am not sure if they are clipped or not. We bought him at a pet store. Is there a way to tell? I haven't read up on that yet.
Mr Winterbottom is doing fine I think. He looks great.
Just a few more days of the antibiotic and then he gets a friend.
Now to get him to like his pellets. That's another long challenge. hehe

Re: New budgie mamma....parakeet fainting? [Re: Godiva] #366311 05/15/09 07:22 AM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
my opinion is to find an avian vet and have reexamined.it's possible the meds are too strong.call the vet and let them know whats going on.welcome to the forum.I wish the best of health too your keet.

when you wish upon a star,you pray you wish comes true.
Re: New budgie mamma....parakeet fainting? [Re: big bad momma] #366314 05/15/09 10:33 AM
G
Godiva Offline OP
OP Offline
G
We haven't had any incidents since that one time, thankfully. Now it's just the task of catching him. Also still a little nervous about trying to catch him, but, I am doing it.

Oh yeah! Today I came home from class to find Mr Winterbottom sitting on mine and my husband's bed. I had taken the feeder out and latched the door down so he couldn't get out, err so I thought he couldn't get out. Now how in the world did he manage to figure out how to get out that door when it was latched? "Smart birdie" the little rascal. hehe

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site