Re: OMG!! Our first big FIGHT!! [Re: KentuckyChicken] #366285 05/15/09 03:47 AM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
Originally Posted By: KentuckyChicken
Glad they are getting along for now smile No birdy time outs needed!
NO NO NO!!! LOL Read again (or do I need to re read what I wrote????) They were still fighting and are separated for the night. Aruba and Caico in one cage and Antigua and Cayman in another. Aruba and Antigua were still having knock out drag out fights this afternoon.

I hope it is just spring fever! I am hoping that there is no medical reason for a bird to suddenly turn so mean (and no they are not molting. They all just finished molting about a week ago. They got along fine then.

Re: OMG!! Our first big FIGHT!! [Re: ] #366286 05/15/09 03:50 AM
K
KentuckyChicken Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
K
OH heck, I thought I read they were giving each other the 'look' but were sitting there. haha

Birdy time out it is then!

The Kentucky Flock
Re: OMG!! Our first big FIGHT!! [Re: ] #366291 05/15/09 04:06 AM
tealcandtina Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Maybe it's a ploy to get you to buy a bigger cage!
Just kidding! I know it is upsetting to say the least. I don't have clue, but the bigger cage was my first reaction....
I hope it irons itself out.

Didn't you just get a larger cage a while ago? Weren't you the one who started the run on mansions?!

Dumb question here, are you sure they are all boys? (my bad, just a thought).

Re: OMG!! Our first big FIGHT!! [Re: KentuckyChicken] #366296 05/15/09 04:23 AM
C
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
Originally Posted By: KentuckyChicken
OH heck, I thought I read they were giving each other the 'look' but were sitting there. haha

Birdy time out it is then!
That was an earlier post in the first hour that they were out. I was hopeful things would be okay at that point but just after that, they started in again. My parents were here and my dad saw them. He said he has never seen birds fight like that before!!

I hope tomorrow is better.

Re: OMG!! Our first big FIGHT!! [Re: ] #366298 05/15/09 04:27 AM
K
KentuckyChicken Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
K
Yes, makes you wonder what in the world set them off. Specially if they don't normally fight.

The Kentucky Flock
Re: OMG!! Our first big FIGHT!! [Re: KentuckyChicken] #366306 05/15/09 05:10 AM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
there is no medical reason for a bird to suddenly get aggressive enless it had rabies which is 99.9999999% impossible for a pet bird.

its probally some kind of pecking order/mate type thing, and by mate i mean friendship and/or lovers. it could also be a maturity issue, when birds turn a year old (give or tak a few months) they begin to get more spunky and their personality often changes, they are no longer babies and can become quite crabby and mean for about a year but if you stick to training and remain patient and loving birds will often come out of this "teenage" phase and once again be the nice birds they were before, if not they can remain mean like this. its like the terrible 2's in a human toddler or the teen years, they are no longer babies and are becoming adult birdies... it isnt an easy time for them or us.

they can be mean and irritable during that time.

also maybe the one did somethng that just flat out offended the other ... like trying to mount him or persuing him in a way that wasnt solicited, birds can get quite aggressive in those situations. and this can happen between birds of the same sex.

are you 100% sure they are all males? its been a while since ive seen pics of their ceres but i think they were all clearly male yes? if ther eis a possible female that could be the problem right there.

and pecking orders change, they arent lifetime appointments and that can get ugly. i would keep them separated like this with very limited playtime together, i know its ahrd on us, but its best for them. i had to do this for a while with my keets and they got over it in a couple months.

Re: OMG!! Our first big FIGHT!! [Re: noobataur] #366310 05/15/09 07:16 AM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I understand what your saying my keets act like that every morning I can't figure out if their fighting or playing.speckles sits back and watches when they come her way she beats them up and sends them away.when I feel its to much I speak to them telling them to stop sometimes I put my hand in the cage to break it up.I'm afraid at times they'll hurt each other.

when you wish upon a star,you pray you wish comes true.
Re: OMG!! Our first big FIGHT!! [Re: big bad momma] #366316 05/15/09 12:24 PM
C
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
I am glad to hear there is not a possible medical issue! That was my biggest fear. I remember watching a show where a brain tumor (in a human) caused aggressive behavior. That kept popping through my thoughts.

Yes, they are all clearly male. (very dark bright blue cere w/no white) (the beginning of my avatar shows a fairly good close up of each.

The mounting thing could be. At the beginning of one of the fights it did look like Antigua was trying to mount Aruba. It happened so quickly and they were locked feet to feet so fast that I wasn't even sure if that was what I saw.

Since I adopted Caico and Antigua from a gal here and she had gotten them from a shelter after another owner gave them up, I honestly am not sure how old they are. She thought they were about a year old when she gave them to me but I'm not sure. That would put them around 2 now. At any rate, they weren't babies. Aruba was around 9 months old when I got him so that puts him also at about 2. Cayman was about 3 months when I got him so he is actually about 1 right now but he doesn't seem to be involved with the aggressive behavior at all.

I'm glad I didn't sell this other cage. The other one I have is just too small for a longer term separation. It's one of those cages that uneducated people (yes, that was me in the very beginning) get for their birds to start with.

I will do what I have to do and keep them apart as long as needed. It isn't going to be easy-I really don't have any good place for this other cage to sit but I'll work it out.

The worst part is that they are all 4 very used to being out of the cage from the time they are uncovered in the morning till they are covered at night. We will work out something though. smile

Re: OMG!! Our first big FIGHT!! [Re: ] #366319 05/15/09 01:22 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
OH NO!! I was hoping to come back and find out that they worked things out and every thing was back to normal frown
It's going to be very weird for them not to be able to all be out together for most of the day. I guess you'll have to let them out in shifts?
I sure hope things work out REAL soon. Sounds like it's going to be a pain in the butt for you and them.
Good luck!!!! Positive, squabble ending vibes((((()))))

Re: OMG!! Our first big FIGHT!! [Re: kksuns] #366322 05/15/09 03:39 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Sheri - I am thinking that spring is the problem. I am in the process right now of separating Tweety and Jason from Gracie and Gilbert. At first they were chasing Tweety all over the cage constantly. I think if she had stood her ground there would have been a fight. So I separated her out - now they (Gil and Gracie) are doing the same thing to Jayson. It is so funny, Jayson keeps coming to the front of the cage, hanging on to the bars like "get me out of here." I hear what you say about glad not to have sold previous cages. I pulled one out and set it up for Tweety and Jason.

Good luck with your guys - mine have pulled this before and it did get better and I had put them back together. Soooo - the lesson here is hang on to those cages. smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site