Print Thread
Stellabird has been plucking her feathers around h #363595 04/29/09 02:05 PM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
Tweetymom, I hope you don't mind me starting this thread. You said you weren't sure how to start one of your own. You were just talking about Ack Acking at the birds to get them to change behavior but mentioned that it has been working with Stellabird as she is plucking her feathers around her neck and that made me nervous.

I don't know much about feather plucking but I know it can get serious. I was at a bird rescue recently and there were some bald looking birds there. The lady said that many of then had feather plucked so much they damaged the follicles and the feathers will now never grow back.

Can you maybe describe her feather plucking and is there anyone out there with information on ways to help stop or reasons that could be causing the feather plucking?

Re: Stellabird has been plucking her feathers around h [Re: ] #363599 04/29/09 02:12 PM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
if she is plucking feathers, it is very very serious, and she honestly needs avian vet attention immediatly.

think of if your child were cutting themselves, or mutilating their body... its a big deal.

it an get extremly serious, to the point that they peck holes into their bodies.

its a sign of something underlying that needs to be addressed, happy, content birds dont pluck feathers. it takes time to correct it but it can be done, there are medications and options ... some are costly some are not.

but an avian veterinarian needs to be the one to give you those options.

Re: Stellabird has been plucking her feathers around h [Re: ] #363621 04/29/09 05:22 PM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
CaribMom Thanks for the thread. I'm not too good on the computer. Helwa, she started this and I got her out of the cage to look at it cuz I thought parasites. No parasites, but a friend who helped me said it looked like pin feathers were giving her a hard time coming out. It is like a ring around the front of her neck. I didn't see how she could get to it, but I see her doing it. It doesn't always hurt, but sometimes it does and that's when I started making the ACK sound. I had been running over to her and saying NO. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, but she does respond to the ACk. BUT, I;m not always home. Last time I looked into Avian Vets I was thinking I'd take all four of them and it would be something like $130 (?). So I think I,ll see about taking just Stellabird for this one. I'm working a lot of hours right now so I could afford that, my only problem concerning this is finding the time, SINCE I'm working so much! I'm going to talk to my boss about it so I can take her sooner rather than later.

Thanks to you both, kksuns and Helwa. I'm, leaving for work now but I'll certainly keep you posted.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: Stellabird has been plucking her feathers around h [Re: tweetymom] #363623 04/29/09 05:25 PM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
plucking is always a sign of an unhappy bird, a bored bird, or a sick bird, or a bird that was unhappy, ill, or bored and became addicted to this behavior.

most vets will allow you to drop the bird off and come back after work, during which time the vet has time to examine fully, and observe the bird, so most vets welcome the added time. ask about that.

smile

Re: Stellabird has been plucking her feathers around h [Re: tweetymom] #363624 04/29/09 05:25 PM
Darkness Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
My lovie Nox came from a very sheltered existence in a quiet basement and when I got him here, he had to contend with a cat, a dog, other keets and two very loud children. He started plucking until he was bald from neck to belly.

The vet said he saw nothing wrong and helwa suggested some drops. I used those along with Pluck-Be-Gone as well as hanging a shower radio in the cage. Now he doesn't pluck except when he's extra stressed, but I know the triggers and can calm him down rather quick.

Re: Stellabird has been plucking her feathers around h [Re: ] #363630 04/29/09 05:35 PM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Helwa, I'm pretty sure that she started this a few months after I got the two rescue females! they were so so flirty and I thought Tweetybird was going to have coneption fits standing on the side of the cage. then Romina started laying eggs and Stella did not like any of this! She and Tweety have been a couple since the first day I bought her for him. I did not put them (Rescues) in the same cage cuz I wasn't going to put him in the same cage with 3 females!! He's older and I thought they might hurt him and fight over him.

Better get to work. Will post later today. Thanks again.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: Stellabird has been plucking her feathers around h [Re: tweetymom] #363632 04/29/09 05:38 PM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
try keeping just him and his mate together in one cage ... or move him to another room by himself

Re: Stellabird has been plucking her feathers around h [Re: ] #363634 04/29/09 05:42 PM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Okay. thanks, Helwa.

Just walking out the door, but I'll put Tweety and Stella in another room. ( they've never been in the same cage as the rescues)

Catch you later.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: Stellabird has been plucking her feathers around h [Re: tweetymom] #363800 04/30/09 03:46 AM
C
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
Let us know how Stella is doing!

Oh, and I am very glad that it was okay for me to start this thread. wink

Re: Stellabird has been plucking her feathers around h [Re: tweetymom] #363910 04/30/09 05:49 PM
I
ithica256 Offline
Regular
Regular
I
Originally Posted By: tweetymom
Helwa, I'm pretty sure that she started this a few months after I got the two rescue females! they were so so flirty and I thought Tweetybird was going to have coneption fits standing on the side of the cage. then Romina started laying eggs and Stella did not like any of this! She and Tweety have been a couple since the first day I bought her for him.

My budgie, Vera started acting crazy (attacking my 8 year old female budgie and plucking herself) after I got some more female budgies. I got more males and eventually put Vera and her mate in the next room. I don' t know if she's doing better. The areas she's been plucking haven't gotten bigger, but I think she's still plucking. The vet also recommends to shorten the amount of day light hours she gets.
I wonder if it's the stress of competition for a mate that led her to feather pluck. I've never had a budgie feather pluck before.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Obesity raises Risk of Cancer
by landale - 12/01/22 11:40 AM
winter reminder for our birds
by AllanMajor - 11/27/22 06:25 PM
Mathematics tutor
by knightgael - 11/26/22 06:08 PM
Windows-Sicherheitsp
robleme

by landale - 11/26/22 02:30 PM
Jewelry Watches
by knightgael - 11/25/22 08:33 PM
Jewerly men's watch
by landale - 11/25/22 08:19 PM
How can you feed pigs inexpensively
by textekprinter - 11/25/22 02:17 AM
Help choose a gift for my brother
by knightgael - 11/24/22 01:37 PM
I want to buy a watch
by landale - 11/24/22 01:03 PM
Photo Print Sizes
by RandellHamilton - 11/23/22 04:00 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site