Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bird Expo in Illinois - April 25 #361026 04/13/09 10:49 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
The Avicultural Society of Chicagoland is having its annual Bird Expo in Wheaton, Illinois, on Saturday, April 25, 2009 --- http://www.midwestbirdexpo.com/index2.html ---click on the orange bar on the right that says "all-access pass" and you can scroll down to read about who will be speaking at this event.

I went last year, briefly, and I was thrilled about so many vendors of bird toys (and parts to make your own toys), the avian vet Q & A session with Dr. Peter Sakas, the informative brochures about avian nutrition, the Bird On The Rocks Company's displays/perches for sale (yes, they have little teeny rock perches for budgies!), and a cool pair of earrings ("good chewing," says Pudgie)!

One of this year's speakers is Chris Davis (woot! woot!), an avian behavior expert who writes for Bird Talk magazine -- more info on her at http://www.lafebercares.com/knowledge/bios/davis.html She is married to Dr. Ted Lafeber, but evidently her career is separate from Lafeber bird food company.

Just as a gossipy side note (hee hee), Chris Davis has recently written two articles in Bird Talk about the horrendous conditions parrots endure when they are captured and smuggled into the U.S.

Meanwhile, T.A.S.C. (the expo sponsor) is rallying people against Bill 669 (see discussion of this elsewhere on the keet forum). I do not know what Davis's position is, regarding the bill, but I would be surprised if she's against it...?? This could get quite interesting!

In any case, I think the expo will be informative and fun (and I will spend waaaaay too much money on my Pudge-pudge)!

Anybody else thinking of attending? smile

Re: Bird Expo in Illinois - April 25 [Re: ] #361031 04/13/09 11:10 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I would like to but it is my first day off since Easter and it is about a 5 hour drive,I'll probably just save my money for a local show. If I do end up going I will post and maybe we can meet somewhere.

Re: Bird Expo in Illinois - April 25 [Re: Cetan] #361034 04/13/09 11:14 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Wonderful -- sounds good. Hope you can make it but I don't blame you about not wanting to do a five hour drive (and what if you buy a Prince for your Princess?) smile

Is your Ann Arbor club's show bigger than this one, maybe?

Re: Bird Expo in Illinois - April 25 [Re: ] #361040 04/13/09 11:42 PM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Sounds fun! I will put it on the calendar!

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Bird Expo in Illinois - April 25 [Re: ] #361121 04/14/09 04:00 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
Thanks for the reminder. I may go. Depends on the weather & traffic. It is about a 2 - 2 1/2hr drive for me, and with all the construction on I-94, it could take twice as long.
I know there is a bird expo in Oak Creek, WI next month that I will be going to for sure.

Re: Bird Expo in Illinois - April 25 [Re: Love My Budgies] #361149 04/14/09 07:53 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Bummer about the long drive...

What's this about construction on 94? No way, dude! Way! Always... frown I'm not being sarcastic, Love My Budgie -- I'm sympathizing with you! There's a joke about the Chicago area having only two seasons, "winter" and "construction." Wheaton is about an hour from me in good weather, with no construction, and during off-peak times, so I will plan for, what, two hours? lol

Re: Bird Expo in Illinois - April 25 [Re: ] #362834 04/26/09 07:55 AM
I
ithica256 Offline
Regular
Regular
I
Did anyone go to the bird expo? It was fun to see all the different species of birds.
I saw an english budgie, she was white with some soft cinnamon feathers on her back. She was so cute. They had some others, but only a few people had a lot of budgies. Someone had toucans, well toucanettes.

Re: Bird Expo in Illinois - April 25 [Re: ithica256] #362855 04/26/09 04:20 PM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
I didn't go in the end...homework to do! Did you buy any fun toys?

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Bird Expo in Illinois - April 25 [Re: cyberbud] #362970 04/26/09 11:35 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
I agree with ithica -- lots of interesting birds!

Got Pudgie a ton of new toys (of course), and a new Lafeber munchie ("Nutri-Forage Pack'n' Snack").

Heard avian behavior expert Chris Davis speak -- she is just amazing! She has a lot of knowledge & experience, a great sense of humor, great insights that she's happy to share with people, and she just radiates love for birds.

She showed slides of birds with whom she's worked & explained what each bird's behavioral "issue" was, what the "cure" was, and how the bird responded. An example: a bird whose cage was in a really high-traffic area, so the bird was constantly startled by people suddenly walking by & was in "flight-or-flight" mode all day; moving the cage and covering one corner gave the bird a sense of safety and calm.

One of her main points was to listen to what your bird is telling you, by way of body language. It's not just trying to get what your bird's saying but also making him/her sense that you are listening. I'm not explaining this well, but the idea is that birds need to communicate with us, know that we're listening, and cause us to respond to them. If a bird communicates, "No, I really don't feel like leaving the cage right now," but we yank him out anyway (and it's not an emergency situation), then he feels "What's the point of trying to talk to you, human? You're blowing off what I'm expressing & you're not hearing me!"

Another point was to really examine your responses to the bird's behavior (this is my paraphrasing, not Ms. Davis' exact words): are we accidentally reinforcing bad behavior (with drama)? Are we sending mixed messages? Are we telling the bird it's the king of the house but then yelling "no" at behavior that a king would be allowed to do? (Not that you should let your bird rule the roost, just that we have to be consistent.)

One pet bird not only attacked the hand vacuum whenever the owner tidied up around the bird's cage, but also bit the guy's butt!

One hilarious case was that of two huge wild birds (large gulls, I think?) that more or less "ruled" a section of beach. All they had to do was flare their wings and open their beaks a bit, and people would run away screaming -- talk about a drama reward! I half expected them to high-five one another! Apparently nobody ever just stood their ground and insisted that they all share the beach!

Re: Bird Expo in Illinois - April 25 [Re: ] #363041 04/27/09 04:42 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
A great post! Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry I missed your PM. I've been trying to finish my final project for school, & while I do pop on to see what's up, totally missed the blinking notice I had a message. Until tonight

Sounds like a great day out! don't they also have one in the Fall?

Kathy

ps: was there a booth selling designer birdie sunglasses?

Last edited by cyberbud; 04/27/09 04:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Obesity raises Risk of Cancer
by landale - 12/01/22 11:40 AM
winter reminder for our birds
by AllanMajor - 11/27/22 06:25 PM
Mathematics tutor
by knightgael - 11/26/22 06:08 PM
Windows-Sicherheitsp
robleme

by landale - 11/26/22 02:30 PM
Jewelry Watches
by knightgael - 11/25/22 08:33 PM
Jewerly men's watch
by landale - 11/25/22 08:19 PM
How can you feed pigs inexpensively
by textekprinter - 11/25/22 02:17 AM
Help choose a gift for my brother
by knightgael - 11/24/22 01:37 PM
I want to buy a watch
by landale - 11/24/22 01:03 PM
Photo Print Sizes
by RandellHamilton - 11/23/22 04:00 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site