LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Why or How did you get your first keet [Re: Fabutam] #361172 04/14/09 09:36 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Heh heh -- well you're right to have called me on that! So, like, I'm, like, totally chillin' right now, like, fer sher, fer sher, yo! smile

Re: Why or How did you get your first keet [Re: ] #361174 04/14/09 09:51 PM
Fabutam Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
OK... LOL!! Cool! cool

Re: Why or How did you get your first keet [Re: ] #361188 04/14/09 11:13 PM
S
Sheerah Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Pudgie's mom
Er, yes, my apologies to Sheerah! I meant the positive, upbeat parts of the stories are enjoyable, not the sadness of a dog eating a bird of course.

One time, my computer simply didn't load the last page of a topic and then I posted & it seemed like "Huh? Wha? D'oh!" This time, however, I can't blame my computer -- I was just focusing too much on the happy & serendipitous stories.

No, no, no. Not to worry. I know what you meant. No offense taken.

Re: Why or How did you get your first keet [Re: ] #361191 04/15/09 12:29 AM
SweetBirdies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Originally Posted By: Pudgie's mom
These stories are so enjoyable to read! smile smile smile

i agree... it is really interesting to read them too. neat to find out all the different ways everyone came to getting their birds. grin

Originally Posted By: kksuns
Some even bring tears to my eyes. I'm such a softy

me too, me too. smile

Last edited by SweetNess1; 04/15/09 12:30 AM.

Bella
Re: Why or How did you get your first keet [Re: Fabutam] #361197 04/15/09 01:04 AM
SweetBirdies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
[qoute=Fabutam] My Caleb came into my life in 2006 after many a year being very depressed after a nervous breakdown. Living alone up on the 16th floor (for 5 years in the end) at age 22 was too much... I started staying with my mother alot and one day I realised my cats favourite mouse toy was missing... I nipped into town to buy another.

I went into the pet store and over to the cat toys... they didn't have any of the same mouse toy frown I kept hearing this odd sound and ignoring it... I had to ask what that noise was, the lady said.. that budgie over there...
I walked over and fell in love within seconds... He was hanging upside down and squarking then jumping about and being all SHEXY!! I HAD to have him.... I actually have to tell you all something.... something bad...

I hated birds. I never understood the point of them and how damn cruel people were to have them in a cage.

I called my mother and asked her to come pick me up because I had just bought a bird and needed help getting him and the cage home! My parents were confused and kept asking why, why, why??

I went home with CC, within the day he was hanging out on my shoulder, I fell in love and then I found this website and fell in love with each of you!! (birdies and hoomans) laugh

I understand birds now, I talk to the pigeons around town (people think I'm really odd but they are birds!!)

I did have a reaction to The CC when I first brought him home that made me be ready to take him back... I even called the dtore to ask if I could... then... I reaslised I was just petrified of having someone to take care of... Now I undestand that Sir Caleb came into my life to drag me out of my sadness , make me laugh and give me the strenth to go on.

I really feel that CC saved me, I went to university, met an amazing man, had an incredible baby AND found another insane bird to become part of our family! (btw Inara is getting so cute with me, she will come and hang out on me and stand upon my glasses and nibble my hair!!)

SO..... These amazing souls are incredible and make a huge difference to each and everyone on these forums... I now LOVE birds!!!!
[/quote]

i was reading through the past few posts here and this TOTALLY stood out to me. Fab, i am really sorry to hear that you went through that hard time for so long. i actually went through similar situations.
having Sky (and Chevy) come into my life when they did was good for me too. we are not allowed animals, such as dogs and cats, in this military housing we are in. i HAVE had animals that i am not suppose to have...i really needed them though. it was what helped me get through my depression as well. i had been depressed for MANY years. i went through about 3 months of a DEEP depression tho and almost had a mental breakdown. i shut out everyone in my life, even my husband and child. i was actually getting help for my depression when i found the 2 birds. beings that i KNEW i could not keep my puppy for much longer that i had at that time, becuz she DIDN'T like my husband, i really believe that the birds came into my life to help me as well. i truly can not live without a pet. my husband works 2 jobs and our daughter is now in 1st grade. i do not work, for medical reasons. so of course i need to keep busy while i am home alone for 6 hours a day, mon-fri. i am so happy that i FOUND Sky and now have Topaz. they are also now apart of our family. grin
Fab, i am happy for you as well, to have your birds in your life. it sure is amazing how having a pet of any kind can make you feel so much happier in life. smile
i am sure everyone here knows exactly what i mean.
i was also lost when it came to caring for birds and never thought i would ever be interested in having any in my home. i pretty much fell in love a couple days after finding them.

Bella
Re: Why or How did you get your first keet [Re: SweetBirdies] #361217 04/15/09 02:32 AM
BLR Offline OP
Copper Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
You would never guess that such unassuming little creatures can create so much good.

Re: Why or How did you get your first keet [Re: BLR] #361234 04/15/09 04:32 AM
N
NanaT Offline
Companion
Companion
N
I got my first parakeet when I was 16, for the same reason that I wasn't allowed to have a cat or dog. My dad didn't believe in keeping animals "cooped up" in the house. We had lived on a small farm when I was small and had all sorts of animals. Dogs, cats, horses, cows, chickens etc. When we moved across town, "no more animal". I had my bedroom in the basement and I bought the bird and brought it home when my dad was at work. He never came downstairs for anything so I had Sunshine for months before he even knew she was there. My mom knew but since it was in a cage and not running through the house, she didn't mind.
I needed something to take care of at that time. She gave me someone to talk to and she made me smile!

"The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else. That makes you unique!"
"Walt Disney"
Re: Why or How did you get your first keet [Re: NanaT] #361235 04/15/09 04:35 AM
SweetBirdies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
that's such a sweet story teana. smile how great for you to have had the opportunity to get the keet. also very nice of your mom not not being mad at ya. assuming your dad didn't mind so much since she was caged?

Bella
Re: Why or How did you get your first keet [Re: SweetBirdies] #361237 04/15/09 05:05 AM
I
ithica256 Offline
Regular
Regular
I
These are all cute stories. A lot of people found budgies outside; I wonder how many of them got out accidentally and how many were released.
Anyway, my story about getting my first budgie is pretty straight forward. I wasn't allowed to have anything with fur. The first pet I got was a tadpole and we negotiated from there (I had amphibians for a while, but they're a little difficult to keep alive more than a few years).
When I was ten, we finally got some budgies! My older sister got a female and I got a male. His name was Prince, he was blue with a yellow face and a tuft on his head; it was the first and only time I've seen that feather mutation in person. He was really cute and very friendly. After a few months the female started to get mean, so I got another budgie to be friends with Prince. I got Harlequin six months after Prince. From there I've just gotten more and more budgies. Prince lived to be nine. Harlequin passed away this January at the age of twelve. It was really hard because he just wanted to spend time with me and my other budgies don't really like people. Sine Harley's passing, I've been trolling Craigslist for more budgies. Before Harley passed, I wanted to get another male budgie anyway (3 females and 2 males is not a good ratio) but I had trouble finding them on craigslist. After Harley passed, budgies have been showing up left and right on craigslist. I'm up to eleven and I plan to get another in a few months (the owner of the first budgie I got off of craigslist is moving out of the country and must rehome her other English budgie).
Budgies are such happy, spirited birds, I felt a sense of responsibility to make sure that these craigslist budgies find a good home where they can fly around, get fresh foods, interact with other birds and go to the vet when necessary.
I got a pair of females off of craigslist and one of them was wheezing a lot. The guy I got her from said he took her to the vet and the vet said that noise is normal for some birds. When I got her home, I realized she was using her whole body to breathe; normal or not, it's not healthy. I decided it was one of two things: cancer in which case she doesn't have long to live, or gout which Harley had and was highly treatable. I gave her some of Harley's medication (it was a life long med, so I had a lot left over) and the next day, her breathing was silent and easy. I can't imagine the immense strain it was on her little body to work so hard to breathe all day, everyday. I think it was quite the coincidence that shortly after Harley's passing I acquired a bird who needed treatment for the same condition Harley had. It lets me know that this little bird was helpful to other little birds, directly and indirectly.
I think I'm at my carrying capacity with budgies though :-p

Re: Why or How did you get your first keet [Re: BLR] #361257 04/15/09 02:30 PM
tealcandtina Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
We have feathered babies now because we thought our granddaughter could learn from having pets in the house. We live in an apt. and dog/ cat deposits are sky high but none on birds! We are the pet owners and care takers , but my granddaughter loves "having" pets! We have 3 now and we all love them! The training process is going very well and we are hooked! We are in the pet store several times a week looking at stuff to spoil our babies with and can't get enough of every thing "parakeet".

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Vilafinil 200mg Online without prescription
by Derick Cook - 09/01/21 11:22 AM
Tamiflu Flu virus Tablets
by Derick Cook - 08/30/21 12:28 PM
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by Derick Cook - 08/27/21 10:41 AM
Tapentadol Extended Release Tablets
by Derick Cook - 08/26/21 11:18 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site