Print Thread
Need help for injured keet #360997 04/13/09 09:12 PM
B
blumom Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
B
One of my keets injured his wing and because he was picking at it and it became quite raw, the vet put a collar on him and prescribed antibiotics which we've been administering.

But Biscuit is quite uncomfortable with the collar and is constantly trying to pick at it. At first I had him separated form his partner, Snow, but after a few days I put them back together in a smaller cage with the hope that the company would distract him.

Can someone please give me some advice about how to make him more comfortable? Should I mist him with water to clean him off a little or will that frustrate him because he won't be able to preen properly? Should I separate the keets again because every now and then they get into a little tiff over food? Is there anything I could/should be feeding him to help him?

Thank you.

Last edited by blumom; 04/13/09 09:27 PM.

Re: Need help for injured keet [Re: blumom] #360998 04/13/09 09:20 PM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I remember that.

Poor little thing. Poor you!!

I'm not an expert and there are plenty of people in here that I would consider experts and I'm sure you will hear from them.

But I know that in the pet stores there are things for "ailing keets", and etc. those egg biscuits are good for them and I think it says something about ailing keets. Sometimes when I go, I stand there and study what they have, I know they think I'm either crazy or challenged in some way!

Good luck. I'm sure you will hear from someone soon.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: Need help for injured keet [Re: tweetymom] #361000 04/13/09 09:31 PM
B
blumom Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
B
thanks tweetymom. I too hope to get some advice. I just feel so badly for my little baby. The whole thing is so traumatic. Plus, my other keet (Snow) is molting so each of them is a little irritable.

But at least a couple times a day, thank goodness, they sing away and exchange food. I've been trying to leave a lot of stemmy herbs in the cage for Biscuit to chew on (parsley, dill, basil, etc) hoping that diverts him from trying to chew on himself.

Last edited by blumom; 04/13/09 09:31 PM.

Re: Need help for injured keet [Re: tweetymom] #361001 04/13/09 09:32 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I would not mist him for several reasons. He can't preen himself properly - in fact he would have trouble shaking off the excess water.

Is he eating and drinking OK. It is probably good to put him back with his mate. I know it is hard to see him uncomfortable - and he doesn't understand it is for his own good - but a cast for us or our children is not comfortable - you probably will not be able to make him comfortable until it is time to take it off.

Re: Need help for injured keet [Re: BLR] #361003 04/13/09 09:35 PM
B
blumom Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
B
It's physically hard for him to eat cause the collar gets in the way, but I've been filling food bowls to the brim, hanging veggies, and putting flat plates of veggies, pellets, and water on the floor of the cage (and changing them often cause of the poop). So he's happily pigging out. That is at least, a high point. When I brought his breakfast this morning, he waddled over as fast as his two little feet could take him.

Re: Need help for injured keet [Re: blumom] #361011 04/13/09 09:55 PM
lagirl143 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Last year I had a keet that also had to wear that little collar for a while too. I had her stayed in a separate cage because she was sick. But if your keet is only picking at his feather then I'd think it's ok to stay with the other ones. And for the water misting, I think it would probably make him feel more uneasy since he won’t be able to preen himself. Other than that, sounds like you’re doing a great job in accommodating to his condition. I remember how frustrating it was when the collar got in the way when she’s eating. Try to bring everything closer to his reach & also use a wider & shallower food cup if possible. Give him more treats than usual (millet, treat stick) & chewing toys to cheer him up :) Good luck!

R.I.P SKY
2/19/08

My baby PEACE
Missing 7/3/09
frown
Re: Need help for injured keet [Re: lagirl143] #361062 04/14/09 02:12 AM
B
blumom Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
B
Hi lagirl 143,

How long did your keet have to wear the collar? Did she pick at it all the time? I feel so badly for Biscuit cause he's so uncomfortable. Arghhhh. Plus, we have to give him meds which means we need to grab him (he's not exactly finger trained) and I think that's increasing his stress levels.

He is eating however, and every now and then he seems to get into a good mood and give me a chirp. But not often.

Re: Need help for injured keet [Re: blumom] #361173 04/14/09 09:45 PM
lagirl143 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Blummon, Sky had the collar on for about 2 wks I believe. It was soooooo uncomfortable for her that I just wanted to yank it off sometimes. She tried to pick at it all the time for the first few days, but then she calmed down but she looked very depressed :( We had to apply ointment to her little foot (it got really swollen) every night. It was an extremely stressful time for her... It’s good that Biscuit is eating normal. Just make sure you give him lots of attention & lots of love : ) Hope your keet will have a speedy recovery!!!

R.I.P SKY
2/19/08

My baby PEACE
Missing 7/3/09
frown
Re: Need help for injured keet [Re: lagirl143] #361498 04/17/09 12:26 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
blummom,
How's Bisky doing?

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site