Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
just an update #359793 04/05/09 02:50 PM
pretty bird Offline OP
Tin Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Hi just thought I'd let you guys know that I'm still alive but not on the computer much.
I had my second knee operation in Oct and it is not doing well so now I'm sitting with 2 different braces 3 times a day for 30 minutes each brace total 3 hours.
In Nov my husband had triple bypass surgery and is lucky he did not have a heart attack and 2 days after he got home I went into the hospital with a perforated colon but luckily I did not have to have surgery however they did pump me full of antibiotics which made me feel very sick and they kept me for 7 days anyway that was 2 weeks of no physical therapy and my doc said that was a very big set back on my knee plus I form scar tissue super fast.
Well enough about me here is update on the birds.

We lost Tiki (our first parakeet) We now have 11 parakeets and 2 cockatiels.
10 of the keets are downstairs and they are turning into being my husbands birds (he takes care of them)

The cockatiels Nacho and Tonto are upstairs as well as our baby parakeet Beaker who was born Sept 5th last year. I take care of them.
It is so much fun to watch those 3. Beaker thinks he is a cockatiel he sounds just like them and I have brought a parakeet up a couple of times and he just ignores them.
Nacho does not care for Beaker but Beaker likes to irritate the daylights out of him. I let Tonto and Beaker out of their cages at the same time. Beaker chases Tonto all over and when Tonto beaks at him Beaker does not back down one bit (pretty dumb bird) They do not hurt each other it just looks like they are fighting. Secretly I think Tonto loves it as when they decide to fly around the room Tonto always lands right by Beaker. They are in the habit of going into each others cages Beaker will be in Tonto's cage and Tonto will be in Beakers cage.
Beaker likes to eat the cockatiel food in Tonto's cage (must taste better like when my husband has to drink out of my glass).

Beaker loves attention and is jealous as well. If I'm holding one of the tiels Beaker has to fly right over and either chase them off or has to land on the hand that I'm petting the tiel with. I have them in my bedroom and Tonto loves to be on the bed with me Beaker also but Tonto loves head rubbing so he will be on me getting his head rubbed and along comes the little pest Beaker to interupted. He is a little pest.

Beaker is really tame was so nice to raise him from an egg. All you have to do is put your finger close by and he is jumping onto it. He is also talking I was so excited when I first heard him. He kind of talks like it sounds under his breath and when he gets going he starts to talk he sometimes says pretty, bird, bird which is funny because Nacho says pretty, pretty, bird. When Beaker started to talk he kind of sounded like Nacho's voice but now I can tell the difference and yesterday he was really clear when he was saying pretty bird.
I read an article that said birds learn to talk better from other birds so I took Nacho over by Beakers cage when he felt like talking and he would say pretty bird a lot right by Beaker. Nacho and Tonto both say pretty bird so Beaker hears them all the time. Beaker also makes all the noises just like the tiels so if your not in the room with them you don't know what bird is making all the noise.
Well thats my update I have to do brace time but just wanted to let you guys know I'm still around but probably won't be posting much.

My name is Connie
Re: just an update [Re: pretty bird] #359795 04/05/09 03:18 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
OMG Connie it's so good to hear from you! I was just asking if anyone had heard from you a couple weeks ago.
Sorry you've been having such a rough go of it, and also very sorry to hear about Tiki's passing.

Beaker's talking! Woohoo! Very cool. Sounds like he's pretty jealous over anyone getting mom's attention other than him huh? What a cutie smile

Good luck with that knee of yours. Hope all that dreaded brace time pays off and you're back on your feet soon!

Again~nice hearing from you smile I can't believe 11 keets and 2 tiels! WOW! I have a hard enough time keeping up with 1 monster! LOL

Had to come back and tell you that little Beaker was the very first I got to see go from an egg to a bald little baby to a full fledged beautiful keety. It was awesome..thanks smile There have been a few others we got to watch grow since lil Beaker, and I truly love seeing all of them~ they are all little miracles, but Beaker will always hold a special place in my heart. So thanks for letting us know how he's doing! smile

Last edited by kksuns; 04/05/09 04:20 PM.

Re: just an update [Re: kksuns] #359798 04/05/09 04:49 PM
SweetBirdies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
oh my, you have been thru a lot lately. sorry to hear all of that. i hope your knee and your husbands heart recovers soon, as much as possible.
sorry to hear about your little Tiki. i am glad to hear that you do have other birds to keep you happy and busy even tho Tiki is no longer with you.
how kool is that for you to have the baby keet you raised. also such a cute story about Beaker, Nacho, and Tonto. thnx for sharing. i love hearing other peoples experiences.

well, take care of yourselves and have a great day. smile

alie

Bella
Re: just an update [Re: SweetBirdies] #359800 04/05/09 04:59 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I'm very sorry to hear that you have been through such a stressful time and hope that things are improving for you smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: just an update [Re: PDM] #359803 04/05/09 05:03 PM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
heeeey!!!

so good to hear from you! Sorry about all the bad news, some times life hands you everything at once.

So sorry for your loss of tiki... that must have been really hard.

You and the birds and your husband are in my prayers always smile

Re: just an update [Re: ] #359819 04/05/09 07:28 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
It's wonderful to hear from you, Connie! I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering how your enormous flock was doing.

Sorry to hear about the medical problems and stresses; hope you and hubby are healing well (though I imagine it's a long, slow process for both of you). We miss you on the forum!

I'm sorry to hear about Tiki. Beaker the tiel--er, budgie!--sounds just so adorable, especially re: eating Tonto's food.

Re: just an update [Re: ] #359841 04/05/09 09:08 PM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I was wondering what happened to you. I guess now we know, not the best news, I hope your better soon.

Glad to hear an update on the birdies too.

RIP Tiki

Re: just an update [Re: Coco's Mama] #360643 04/10/09 02:25 PM
pretty bird Offline OP
Tin Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Just came down to give the flock some scrambled eggs and thought I'd jump on the computer for a few minutes while they are busy eating.

They are all going nuts over the eggs as they have not had them for awhile. They are all like little scavengers.

Yesterday Beaker got on a roll and must have said Pretty Bird well over 50 times. Nacho still will not say anything else but Pretty Bird and I have been trying to teach him good boy for almost 2 years now. The little stinker just says Pretty Bird as soon as he starts to see me say the word good and I don't even get the chance to say boy.

I'm hoping Beaker picks up his name as I say that a lot to him. He really listens when you talk to him. I get a kick out of how they sort of turn their head upside down and sideways when you talk to them.

We have our grandson Drew with us since Wed. we went to pick him up that day he has Easter vacation so they asked if we would take him for a few days. Everyone is coming this weekend starting tonight so I have lots to do today plus color eggs with Drew.

Well the egg fest must have ended as all the birds are sitting in a row on the top of the cage looking at me. I had the egg dish on the bottom of the cage.

Have questions for you guys. Beaker is a very light blue with light gray wings If I remember right do they call that a gray wing? Also isn't it suppose to be hard to tell the sex as they are a light colored bird? I'm pretty sure Beaker is a male as he is talking however females can talk its just that they usually don't. Beakers cere is a very light blue not dark like the rest of the males however Beaker is not even a year old yet. Anyway just curious.

Thanks for all the comments by the way.

My name is Connie

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site