Page 1 of 2 1 2
NEW BIRDDY!!!! #358608 03/29/09 10:33 PM
J
Jess Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
J
hi yall! i gots a new birdy!! its really young, im not sure if its a boy or girl yet. It will let me touch its tail feathers for a few seconds, he/she will sit there and tilt its head. so im guessing he/she was handled a lot when younger. the wings are cliped. how long should i start the hand training for? like i know people have said let them get use to ur hands, and i know thats where to start. so im not really sure how long to keep my hand in the cage or near him/her for. any other suggestions would help. my other parakeet i have i got when he was preaviously owned, so i didnt have to worry about having a new baby keet. so please help if ya can. i be much abliged. THanks Yall!!!!

Life's short, cherish everythin' you have.
Re: NEW BIRDDY!!!! [Re: Jess] #358611 03/29/09 10:39 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
You can just move at the birds pace. If the bird is already comfortable with your hand in the cage - then you can start encouraging your baby to get on your hand. It is easier with a really young keet. But - be prepared for a little set back when she/he figures out that she/he has a choice.

Did you read Lisa Shea's bird training section on this web site. It give an excellent outline for getting your baby tame.

Re: NEW BIRDDY!!!! [Re: BLR] #358615 03/29/09 10:49 PM
J
Jess Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
J
no, i havent. i still got a lot of questions and half the time im not sure if i should ask or just try and figure it out. i dont like to ask a tone of questions cauz then people get annoyed after a while.

um..how do i encourage him/her to get up on my heand?(i just got keet today) and can u by any chance send me alink to her pagE? im not real good with computers.

Re: NEW BIRDDY!!!! [Re: Jess] #358620 03/29/09 11:06 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Just click on this link and scroll down a bit to "parakeet training," then click on any topic you want -- http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/budgie.html

I agree with BLR's advice, above. Since you just got the keet today, I suggest going slowly, like maybe put your hand in twice a day, just for a minute or so.

Lisa's training method uses a perch first, then your finger. The goal is to teach the bird that (a) you won't hurt him and (b) he will be rewarded verbally (and also possibly with millet!) when you say "step up!" and he steps onto your finger.

Slowly but surely he will get used to you and trust you more. It is a slow process but it's really worth it! smile

Re: NEW BIRDDY!!!! [Re: ] #358623 03/29/09 11:13 PM
J
Jess Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
J
ok! Thanks you! ill check out her page, and try her training. hopefully it will work.

Re: NEW BIRDDY!!!! [Re: Jess] #358625 03/29/09 11:20 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
You're welcome!

Every budgie/keet is different, so what works for one person won't necessarily work for another (Pudgie freaked out about a perch for step-up, but did fine with my finger). Some people use small pieces of millet spray as a reward, other people just say "Good boy!" or whatever as a verbal praise reward... Whatever works for your little birdy, right? smile

Re: NEW BIRDDY!!!! [Re: ] #358627 03/29/09 11:23 PM
J
Jess Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
J
yep! both my old and new keet seam happy, they're singing like non-stop. i still dont know wat to name, my new keet.

Re: NEW BIRDDY!!!! [Re: Jess] #358632 03/30/09 12:06 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Congrats on your new keet smile
You already got great advice from everyone up above..I just wanted to say if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. No one is going to get annoyed. Heck, I asked a TON of questions when I first came here.
Good luck coming up with a name!

Re: NEW BIRDDY!!!! [Re: kksuns] #358635 03/30/09 12:45 AM
SweetBirdies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
i agree with KK and just wanna say congrats on your new baby keet.

Bella
Re: NEW BIRDDY!!!! [Re: SweetBirdies] #358642 03/30/09 01:39 AM
A
animalfriend Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
A
You have gotten some great advice. Good luck on the training. Patience is the key with new birds. They are very skeptical of new things, and you just have to convince them that you are not out to hurt them. You should have so much fun, though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site