Print Thread
Can fresh, organic herbs be bad for birds? #358423 03/29/09 02:49 AM
B
blumom Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
B
I've been feeding Biscuit and Snow organic, washed-in-cider vinegar herbs like parsley, dill, and basil. I generally hang the herbs from the top of the cage and they seem to love it. They particularly love chomping on the stems.

I started feeding my baby cockatiel the same thing. All the birds, btw, get regular veggies, seeds, and pellet. But I constantly have herbs in the cage which I refresh a couple times a day.

Today I stopped by my local pet store where I purchased all my birds and mentioned this to the owner. She warned me off, telling me that dill was a very sharp-tasting herb and neither basil nor dill are found in native Australia. She also told me there's new studies being done on parsley and not everyone thinks it should be given to birds.

I was somewhat taken aback. Does anyone here feed their birds these kinds of herbs? Has anyone heard anything negative about any of them? Now I'm nervous.

Thank you.

Last edited by blumom; 03/29/09 02:49 AM.

Re: Can fresh, organic herbs be bad for birds? [Re: blumom] #358437 03/29/09 04:23 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I hang parsley and kale for my guys. What I have noticed is that a lot of the fresh leafy veggies that I hang from their cage are shredded on the bottom of the cage by the end of the day.

They really like the chopped veggies.

As far as parsley or any other veggie for that matter, if we limit it to those that are native to Australia - they would not get carrots, celery, and a host of other veggies that we feed them. I am not even sure that all of the seeds that we feed them are native to Australia. It is a beautiful thought to feed only that that is native to their country of origin - but I am thinking that it is not very practical.

Last edited by BLR; 03/29/09 04:28 AM.
Re: Can fresh, organic herbs be bad for birds? [Re: blumom] #358438 03/29/09 04:25 AM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
I have seen parsley on good to feed lists and also on bad to feed lists. Now that really helps doesn't it? LOL My boys love parsley! Sorry I am not really a help here!

Re: Can fresh, organic herbs be bad for birds? [Re: ] #358439 03/29/09 04:32 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I am thinking that they have pretty good instincts about what to eat and what not to eat. I know we cannot complete rely on that, just like our kids need limits.

This is probably why pellets are so hard to introduce - you do not find them in Australia. smile

Re: Can fresh, organic herbs be bad for birds? [Re: BLR] #358464 03/29/09 11:56 AM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
why would you need to feed them only what is native to austrailia???

most of the produce we eat here is not at all native to america lol including potato!!

just because something isnt native to austrailia doesnt mean it isnt grown there smile

and while they originate from austrailia they arent wild caught birds that miss their homeland so they have no idea what that is haha

smile there is no herb that is bad for birds, and all green leafy veggies are good for the as well smile

Re: Can fresh, organic herbs be bad for birds? [Re: ] #358465 03/29/09 11:57 AM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
and pellets are hard to introduce because they dont have an imprint for them.

they eat seed because from birth they see seeds and know seeds are food, their mom and dad fed them seeds and they saw them eating seeds.

if you get a baby and feed it pellets from day one, it will know its food. same with any food... it isnt they dont like it or dont think its native food, they simply dont realize its food lol until one brave birdie takes a bite smile

Re: Can fresh, organic herbs be bad for birds? [Re: ] #358488 03/29/09 05:46 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I remember a few years ago there was a vet on here and she said that parsley is only ok in small amounts because of certain oils in it, the same for some other herbs. And potatoes are native to this hemisphere, South America.

Re: Can fresh, organic herbs be bad for birds? [Re: Cetan] #358585 03/29/09 09:34 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Can't add to this but want to bump it up for other people -- this is really interesting info.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site