Unregistered
i said 8 weeks.

Re: Best mode of punishment? [Re: ] #358562 03/29/09 09:03 PM
_
___JA Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
_
I don't like to use the word punishment. We all should know that punishing a pet doesn't get you anywhere. The best way to get your pet to know what is OK and what is not is with discipline. Of course, I'm no expert, so I have no idea about what experts think works best. But whenever my cats would misbehave(the cat I have now is very laid back and never does anything wrong lol... well except when he washes his hands in the toilet after taking a doo doo lol BIG MESS!) I would spray them with a water bottle. I suppose that is punishment in a way, but I find that too harsh a word, and I know in the dog world there is a big difference between it and discipline. Not sure about cats... But, yeah, the water bottle seems to do the trick best from what I've tried. My cats would learn after 1-10 sprays that it wasn't ok and stopped, except to do it every once in a while. :P
Some people suggest blowing in their face, but I find that simply mean and asking for a swat in the face.

Re: Best mode of punishment? [Re: ___JA] #358716 03/30/09 04:48 PM
Niki Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
I agree with you Helwa with the kitten thing. Which is why I don't punish her much at all unless she bites *too* hard. Then I just respond with a sharp NO. Or a bop on the nose. In that case, I'm not doing anything different then a fellow cat would.

When we raised kittens, it was amazingly different because they had others kittens to play with. They learned from their parents to claw scratch boards only, to use the litter box, to not bite people, etc etc. This one just has her human mommy and daddy so we're her play mate it seems.

One thing the water bottle did teach her was to stop climbing the curtains. We have this set of curtains over a window in the living room that leads to a plant in the upper window near the ceiling. She loved to climb it and chew on the plant. We only had to actually spray her twice before all we needed to do was hold up the water bottle and she'd stop.

That, to me, is healthy fear.

She doesn't smack me in the face that much, but that's cause we just got a new higher bed, she can't jump it as easy as our last one!

Re: Best mode of punishment? [Re: Niki] #371136 06/13/09 07:23 PM
Niki Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
Just wanted to update. My little Chai monster has been acting so much better with practice and some positive reinforcement! Although while I was typing this, ironically she jumped up and bit my arm. Haha!

We've been able to pet her more often, she's even demanded love quite often.

She still bites at times, but it's getting better. The hissing snarling has gone down. I can bring her upstairs to the bedroom (where her food, water, and litter is) without having to pick her up. The key is just to not let her downstairs when we plan on going out that day or she won't be downstairs that long. She'll get upset and not want to go up.

She has been upset when we leave the house. At times when we come upstairs to let her know we're home, she'll sniff us as if she can smell that we've been outside, give a few nervous meows, and then hiss if we try to pet her. ESPECIALLY if we stopped to pet and feed the stray cats outside.

We still have not fixed her... I stopped by the PetSmart cause I noticed they had a full vet service and they wanted an insane $365 for spaying her!! That's way too much for us. My mom fixed her cats for about $50. But as her vet did tell me, the prices in NYC are insane for pet treatment..

It was suggested to me that I look for free ASPCA spots, but apparently in NYC they only have the mobile clinic which is for many reasons not an option.

Last edited by Niki; 06/13/09 07:26 PM.
Re: Best mode of punishment? [Re: Niki] #371139 06/13/09 08:06 PM
A
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
A
most vets are cheaper, petsmart, the banfield is a national chain and very very costly.

contact aspca or other shelters or cat rescues, they do have very cheap spay/nueter services around smile

Re: Best mode of punishment? [Re: ] #371197 06/14/09 03:50 AM
Niki Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
In NYC? I checked the website and all they have here like I said is the mobile van thing they have move around every so often. It's not going to be very practical for me to tote the cat out to where-ever their van happens to be.

We're probably going to just have to wait until either A. I get a car, or most probably even when I do get a car, B. Wait until we move upstate and get her spayed at our family vet.

Re: Best mode of punishment? [Re: Niki] #371207 06/14/09 09:20 AM
A
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
A
no i meant ask them about other organizations, i know there are alot there in the city ...low cost vets and specific programs for spay and nueter... ill ask around and see if i can find one.

its nyc lol there has to be one

Re: Best mode of punishment? [Re: ] #371208 06/14/09 09:25 AM
A
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
A

Re: Best mode of punishment? [Re: ] #371215 06/14/09 02:12 PM
S
skipperdog Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
S
When I had a cat, as a kitten, she bit me, scratched me with her front claws and gouged me with her hind legs in the name of play. I wore jeans the summer I had her because my legs were looking like a cutting board for a while there. This was a cat who would run up the inside of my nightgown and hang on, bite my stomach,and run away. To her, this was playing, the little stinker! Her name was Neena and we nicknamed her "The Neenerator" because she absolutely would not stop.

The way I got her to stop was when she would run up and attack me, I would stand still, say "HUT" in a cross tone, and then ignore her. I also would sometimes go in my bedroom and shut the door after I said "hut". These methods worked, because she wanted play. As she got older, around 5 months, a soft "hut" was enough to remind her to be gentle.

I loved Nina. She was a great companion. When I was visiting family or friends, she would walk into her carrier and lay down when I said, "Let's go." She even played fetch (when she felt like it). I used to buy her a slice of sashimi when I bought sushi for dinner, and we'd eat together.

I envy all of you who can have cats. I have developed an allergy to them, and they give my husband and I asthma, so we can't have any.

Re: Best mode of punishment? [Re: skipperdog] #371224 06/14/09 03:12 PM
Niki Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
Thanks Aminah.

But no, I looked, and there's maybe 1 in Brookyln and doubtfully one in Manhattan. We live in Queens. The last site says there's an ASPCA hospital, but I can't be sure about that because the ASPCA website says there's only the Mobile van, and with that it says you can only get the special low cost only with proof that you're on public assistance, which we're not. Without proof, $75. The ASPCA gives two clinic addresses, both in the heart of Manhattan. And if you've ever lived her, you'll know how insane it is to drive from Manhattan from Queens!

She'll just have to wait another year until something comes up. It would actually be cheaper for us to take a bus up to Albany just to get her spayed at our clinic at this rate.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/24/20 01:27 AM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site