Page 1 of 2 1 2
Biting Redux #357681 03/25/09 02:29 AM
B
blumom Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
B
I've been reading the posts about keets biting and how it's generally caused by fear or anger. But I'm not sure that explains my keets' behavior. Often I put my hand quietly in the cage and leave it there. Generally one of my keets or another will get on and start do move around on it, gently pecking. But every now and then, one of the keets will mount my hand and start to pick at the skin biting as hard as he can. I've done nothing out of the ordinary; I've simply put my hand inside the very large cage and rested it against an unused shelf. Snow or Biscuit will fly or hop over and then start to pick at the loose skin. Is this normal? Is it anger? They don't seem mad; sometimes I think they're just tasting me, but they do impose a great deal of pain. I don't yell, I don't even move. I just try to tighten my fingers or fist so that they have less to grab onto. Once they let go, I often remove my hand but sometimes not, just to make sure they understand that I won't be chased away.

Does anyone have similar experience? What's the best course of action?

thank you.

Re: Biting Redux [Re: blumom] #357860 03/25/09 09:29 PM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
How long have you had your bird? If its new to you it could be fear or anger. Keets also sometime take a bite to test the surface before stepping on to make sure its solid. Sometimes they just bite, its a bird thing, we all experience it. Sometimes I wonder if its a preening thing as Emily insists on biting a mole on my neck repeatedly.

I wouldn't worry so much, you're reacting the right way by not reacting. Reacting makes it fun for them!

Hope this helps.

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Biting Redux [Re: cyberbud] #357985 03/26/09 02:49 AM
B
blumom Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
B
Thanks, Kathy. I've had the keets for almost 10 months now. What's odd about the behavior is that they don't react to my hand in the cage. They simply come over to it where ever the hand is resting, hop on, and start to bite. So you're probably right: it's a bird thing. If it were fear, they just wouldn't come over I don't think. The cage is a large flight cage so there's plenty of room for them to stay away if they want. But they hop on and then...well, OUCH!

blumom

Re: Biting Redux [Re: blumom] #357993 03/26/09 04:30 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Birds just want to have fun! Since they have a flight cage I doubt if its fear, as they could stay well away from you. Maybe it will wear off in time. Emily doesn't bite as much as she used to, except the mole on my neck! She is 15 months old.

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Biting Redux [Re: cyberbud] #358012 03/26/09 02:07 PM
M
mittu Offline
Regular
Regular
M
I agree with cyberbud, they are just playing around with you, if you have had them for 10 month and you are just starting to put your hand in then your are disturbing them, cuz now they are use to it.

one I did when my birds bit me i played with them using my finger and making them come and bite me on the finger like taking close to them, but one thing that was different, I had a dab of honey on the finger, they just liked it and wanted to bite more but every time they came to bite they tasted honey and the bite turned into licking...and they got closer and friendlier, give them a treat, play with them....

Re: Biting Redux [Re: mittu] #358024 03/26/09 05:00 PM
B
blumom Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
B
Dear Mittu,

I love that idea. Genius! Can't wait to go home and dip my hands in honey. Sounds like the keets and I can all enjoy some delicious time together!

Thank you.

Re: Biting Redux [Re: blumom] #358037 03/26/09 07:19 PM
M
mittu Offline
Regular
Regular
M
Your Welcome, do tell us how it all goes!!! smile

Re: Biting Redux [Re: blumom] #358040 03/26/09 07:47 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
My Budgie went through a period of biting hard. I have found if I am careful to read her body language, I can tell why and what she wants and avoid any hard bites. For instance she does what I call beaking - this is when she wants to check stability of my finger or just to taste it, it is a gentle nibble that does not hurt and is barely any pressure. Then she does something I believe is playing - she will bite a little harder and sometimes chew on my skin or fingernails, this does not hurt but is harder than beaking. Then she bites, this hurts and can leave marks. She does this when either she does not want to be bothered, is molting, or wants me to carry her somewhere. I read a good book on clicker training and how to stop biting - Getting Started Clicker Training by Melinda Johnson. Since I have put in practice some of the methods, she has only bit me hard when she wanted me to move her.
In my personal opinion, I don't believe Budgies bite really hard just to play.

Re: Biting Redux [Re: Love My Budgies] #358045 03/26/09 08:19 PM
joandboys Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
She looks pretty ferrocious to me! HAHA

Cookie and Sweetie
Re: Biting Redux [Re: blumom] #358048 03/26/09 08:25 PM
joandboys Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Hi, My Sweetie does the same thing. They do this little mateing dance thing on our hands and part of it is biteing. At first Sweetie used to nip but lately the bites have been getting sharper. I think his beak is sharper also. You can tell he is just getting carried away with passion. HAHA It is perfectly normal. I think the honey thing is a good idea to get their minds off of biteing but I am sure that is the reason. They still love you, but your a love object now. HAHA

Cookie and Sweetie
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site