Print Thread
The surprise worked! #35495 12/17/05 06:43 PM
G
gmn Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
G
So I got my daughter her parakeet today and she's thrilled (as am I!)! It was a surprise birthday present, the day after her birthday (she's 7), and I'm proud of myself for being able to keep it a secret, because I've been so excited about getting the bird.

Lemony Snicket is (I think) a male yellow recessive pied (??? at least that's the picture that looks most like him). He's pretty shocked right now at the whole transport experience, and the new home without all the other birds. He's pretty much just sitting on the floor of the cage; we've had him home for about an hour. This is normal, right?

I'm so looking forward to trying to make Lemony's life here the best it can be!

Thanks for all the help, and there will be more questions, I'm sure.

Re: The surprise worked! #35496 12/17/05 06:45 PM
climbtreez Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
cool, get pictures soon. Birds are wonderful pets and Im sure you dauter loves it.

WARNING: May resort to babaling and ranting at times. Short attention spans take caution.
Re: The surprise worked! #35497 12/17/05 07:05 PM
Rick & Gebo Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Sitting on the floor of the cage is not normal if it lasts for more than a few hours after introducing the bird to the new cage.

It should get up to the middle or the top of the cage relatively quickly. If it stays down there for more than 24 hours, it may be sick.

[]Rick - Gebo's Human Provider - Seattle, WA.
Re: The surprise worked! #35498 12/17/05 10:53 PM
G
gmn Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
G
Hi Rick -

It was at the top of the cage at the store when I chose it. Do you think that makes a difference, or no?

Re: The surprise worked! #35499 12/17/05 11:03 PM
G
gmn Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
G
Okay, so now I'm worried. I'll keep a close eye into tomorrow. If I do need to switch this bird for a different one (15 day guarantee at Petco), would I need to sterilize the cage or anything? Or ???

Thanks -

Gail

Re: The surprise worked! #35500 12/17/05 11:15 PM
Jloc Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
CAn you get us any pics? Is the bird still at the bottom? Maybe the bird is very scared and cold. I would cover the cage about half way so just the front in open and give the bird some heat. They need to stay pretty warm and it could have chilled the bird by transporting it. I hope your bird is ok, if it doesn't get up and feel better soon I would take it in, hopefully it is just very frightened and nothing more but I have never heard of a bird sitting at the bottom right after bringing it home. Please keep us posted and cover the cage and just leave the front open and warm the bird up with a lamp or near some heat. I hope the bird is ok. If you get a new one and have to take that one back to them I would definately sterlize your cage, use some hot soapy water to clean it well. Just make sure you rinse it really well so no soap or smell is left on it. Honestly I hope that the bird is ok, maybe move some food and water to the bottom so the bird can get at it and make sure it is warm, keets need to be warm and sick or stressed birds need it even warmer. And again half cover the cage that will help to relax the bird. And keep us posted as much as possible. Jloc

Frodo, Sam Wise, Shelby, and Scooter
Re: The surprise worked! #35501 12/18/05 01:22 AM
G
gmn Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
G
Thanks for the tips, Jloc. I've put a doubled-over sheet over all but the front, and am looking for a heat lamp for him. It is a little worrisome. I went to put something in the cage, and he clambered up on his ladder, and is currently there. But he just doesn't move much at all, and no sounds. I've had keets before (though it was 20 years ago!) and I don't remember this!

One thing I'm wondering is if clipping the wings makes them unable to get up to their perches. If so, what can I do? (all the birds had clipped wings at the store. But they all looked active and perky, and very young - their stripes were all the way down to their ceres).

Thanks for helping me through this.

Re: The surprise worked! #35502 12/18/05 01:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He sonds like he is just stressed out form the move, new cage, new people, it's alot for a little bird in one day. I would just cover him up and leave him alone for a while. They do have trouble hopping to the perches in the begining but they catch on quick. I do my perches in 3 levels. with clip on food dishes at the middle. Just give him a couple of days to settle in. Let him be where the activity is, but not a part of it. Good luck with him.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Vilafinil 200mg Online without prescription
by Derick Cook - 09/01/21 11:22 AM
Tamiflu Flu virus Tablets
by Derick Cook - 08/30/21 12:28 PM
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by Derick Cook - 08/27/21 10:41 AM
Tapentadol Extended Release Tablets
by Derick Cook - 08/26/21 11:18 AM
Buy Modalert Online|Modalert 200mg Sleepiness Tabl
by Derick Cook - 08/24/21 12:08 PM
Purchase Generic Nuvigil Online for Sleep Apnea
by Derick Cook - 08/24/21 11:47 AM
Buy Tapentadol Online
by Derick Cook - 08/23/21 11:08 AM
Buy Artvigil 150mg online
by Derick Cook - 08/23/21 10:14 AM
Buy Eszopiclone online
by Derick Cook - 08/20/21 01:19 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site