Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
does my nesting box have to be fully enclosed?? #355005 03/06/09 07:53 PM
C
Christian Offline OP
OP Offline
C
hi i want my keets to have babys but i need to know if my nesting box has to be fully enclosed and will shredded newspaper work for nest materials????

and how big??

Re: does my nesting box have to be fully enclosed?? [Re: Christian] #355052 03/07/09 02:27 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
bump

Re: does my nesting box have to be fully enclosed?? [Re: kksuns] #355060 03/07/09 03:31 AM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
I've never had babies. Well, not since the family had them when I was a little girl. Here is what I believe to be true:

Yes, they need to be enclosed on all sides. You wouldn't want the babies to be falling out. If you are wanting to be able to view the "happenings" Hagen does sell one with a transparent
side.

I wouldn't think you would want to use newspaper mainly because of the newsprint. Your cute little babies would get that dirty ink all over them. Probably not good for them and certainly not pretty.

Hope I helped a little?

Re: does my nesting box have to be fully enclosed?? [Re: ] #355067 03/07/09 05:12 AM
C
Christian Offline OP
OP Offline
C
well i will have all the sides up but does it need to have a top and i make all my nesting boxes and i am really good with woodworking so i can put in a little window or whatevr is needed thanks for the help though and if anyone can help with a good nesting material that would be great to THANK YOU

Re: does my nesting box have to be fully enclosed?? [Re: Christian] #355068 03/07/09 05:15 AM
C
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
Top, IDK, maybe to keep away drafts? Even in wild I have read that parakeets lay their eggs in hallows of trees and such, not in open nests. I guess it would just be the closest thing to their natural habitat?

I know they sell nesting materials but for things around the home IDK. Have you done some reading in the breeding section?

Re: does my nesting box have to be fully enclosed?? [Re: ] #355070 03/07/09 05:55 AM
C
Christian Offline OP
OP Offline
C
like a basket or large tray by their favorite perch and i've noticed they might be afraid of going into the hole in the front but does it need to be dark and would shreded fleece work as a nesting material

Re: does my nesting box have to be fully enclosed?? [Re: Christian] #355084 03/07/09 03:02 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
I don't think fleece material would be good because it would get dirty to fast and hold too much bacteria.I'm thinking maybe straw? And of course it needs to be changed regularly.
Have you checked out nesting boxes in stores or online, and then you will have an idea of how to model one yourself?
Do go to the breeding section here and read all you can. There is alot of good info there and you need to be prepared smile
I know Vincent's Q Tip just had babies so maybe you could PM him about it?
Good luck,and do your research BEFORE they breed.

Re: does my nesting box have to be fully enclosed?? [Re: Christian] #355111 03/07/09 05:57 PM
C
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
Originally Posted By: Christian
like a basket or large tray by their favorite perch and i've noticed they might be afraid of going into the hole in the front but does it need to be dark and would shreded fleece work as a nesting material
It seems you aren't getting what you need here. Maybe you can ask PDM to move this thread to the breeding section? There you will find more people who have actually dealt with this. It seems you WANT on open space but if you look on the market, they are ALL (at least that I can find) closed boxes. I'm thinking there must be a reason for that though I don't specifically know what that is.

Re: does my nesting box have to be fully enclosed?? [Re: ] #355179 03/08/09 12:47 AM
C
Christian Offline OP
OP Offline
C
thank you all for your dedication to at least try to help i'll put this in the breeding section and talk to you later

Re: does my nesting box have to be fully enclosed?? [Re: Christian] #355199 03/08/09 05:09 AM
C
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
I see you got the thread moved (I haven't a clue how to do that myself-LOL). I sure hope someone will come along to be able to help you out. smile

Good Luck!

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Artvigil 150mg online
by rxonlinesecure - 05/20/22 08:53 AM
Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians
by dfdchgf - 05/18/22 12:04 PM
Architecture photography challeng
by latinkaone - 05/16/22 09:30 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site