LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My Budgie Won't Eat Anything But Seed?! #354427 03/03/09 04:06 AM
CallMeKenny Offline OP
OP Offline
When ever I try to give my budgie a fruit like an orange, he bites it really hard then moves away really fast. It's like he gets mad at it. What do I do, he won't eat anything but seed.

Re: My Budgie Won't Eat Anything But Seed?! [Re: CallMeKenny] #354434 03/03/09 05:36 AM
guess what? Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
hello kenny, I had the same problem with my keets for a while. try giving smaller portions or mixing it in with the seed. I have to do that with my keets to get them to eat new things. Carrots are usually a hit with keets and mine only like it when its grated like cheese. Or you could try dried/or dehydrated fruits. My keets will eat it faster if its not a "wet" food.

Re: My Budgie Won't Eat Anything But Seed?! [Re: guess what?] #354521 03/03/09 08:34 PM
CallMeKenny Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks i will go try it now

Re: My Budgie Won't Eat Anything But Seed?! [Re: CallMeKenny] #354524 03/03/09 08:41 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I chop up celery, carrots and apples to the size of seeds and my guys really like that. I also chop brocilli tops, parsely, celery and carrots to the size of seeds and they really go after that.

Also try sprinkling millet over the top of the chopped vegies to get them started.

Re: My Budgie Won't Eat Anything But Seed?! [Re: BLR] #354527 03/03/09 09:01 PM
CallMeKenny Offline OP
OP Offline
I tryed chopping them up he isn;t scared anymore but won't eat them. He is just eating the seed i put on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fTrTTfExmE <-- video of it

Re: My Budgie Won't Eat Anything But Seed?! [Re: CallMeKenny] #354543 03/03/09 09:56 PM
4vakeets Offline
my guys wouldn't eat fruit or veggies either, until I started making them Beak Appetit dishs, and they all crazy over it... grin here's the web site for it
http://www.beakappetit.com/

Last edited by 4vakeets; 03/03/09 09:57 PM.

~Raych~
Re: My Budgie Won't Eat Anything But Seed?! [Re: 4vakeets] #354587 03/04/09 02:03 AM
Draw_me_a_Bunny Offline
Companion
Companion
I'm working on getting my keets to eat a bigger variety of veggies right now, something they tend to go for is the organic wheat grass sold at grocery stores. It's packaging makes it very easy to just set in the cage and I can leave it in the cage for a while and it won't spoil within hours like some veggies/fruits.

Re: My Budgie Won't Eat Anything But Seed?! [Re: Draw_me_a_Bunny] #354589 03/04/09 02:27 AM
T
trvlnfmly99 Offline
Companion
Companion
T
My birds are the same! they won't eat anything but seeds! i tried mixing seeds with pellets! but no luck they just push the pellets to one side and eat the seeds! i even tired grinding them up some! still nothing!

Lovin My 3 budgies! Jay, Tweety & Kiwi... Our newest arrival!
Re: My Budgie Won't Eat Anything But Seed?! [Re: trvlnfmly99] #354628 03/04/09 04:18 PM
Niki Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Aw, he's a cute little fellow! ^-^

I know Lucky wouldn't eat veggies. I tried that mixed tropical seed thing with dehydrated veggies and he'd just throw them out of his dish. Carrots and whatnot he wouldn't eat. I never did get to try different methods though!

I think the key is just finding what he likes. I'm certain there's some presentation of vegetables and fruits that will be appealing for your little guy. He's just picky is all. Try, try again!

Re: My Budgie Won't Eat Anything But Seed?! [Re: CallMeKenny] #354645 03/04/09 06:27 PM
joandboys Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
In the wild bright red or orange is a danger color.

Chop broccoli and carrot and carrot tops and celery until it is really fine in a food processor. Mix thawed frozen corn kernals and a tiny bit of seed or preferrable "sesame" seeds.

Because the seeds are in this salad, they try to eat them and accidently get salad.

After they like this for a while, put a little slice of apple in the mix and chop fine.

It took a long time but after a while my boys jumped right on as soon as I put it in the cage.

The sesame seeds are what really get them to try everything. They love the toasted ones and they have calcium. You can get them in the Asian section or the Health food section of most groceries.

Cookie and Sweetie
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site