Next Thread
Print Thread
Teana - 'Two Eggs on Cage Floor' - Advice Needed #353959 02/26/09 07:58 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Teana
On the 12 of Feb. my husband found 2 eggs in my birds cage. They were on the floor of the cage as there was no nesting box attached. Both were broken. I have 3 birds and I'm not sure who produced the eggs. I know I have 1 male for sure but the other 2 I can't tell. I put a nesting box on the cage. Will the hen lay more eggs or is that it?
Can anyone help? I'm new at this!

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: Teana - 'Two Eggs on Cage Floor' - Advice Needed [Re: PDM] #353962 02/26/09 08:30 PM
G
GrammyinNY Offline
G
Hello Teana, I've never had a female bird but thought you
might like to know what I looked up in a book called Bird Owner's
Home Health and Care Handbook written by Gary Gallerstein, D.V.M.
He states that a nesting box should be mounted high up on the outside of the cage and that it should be kept as dry and dark as posible. Also, depending on the species, a hen will lay
from one to eight eggs, usually a day apart. Hope this helps
somewhat but breeding and raising chicks sounds very complicated.
Maybe you could get more detailed info from a book at your local
library.

GrammyinNY
Re: Teana - 'Two Eggs on Cage Floor' - Advice Needed [Re: GrammyinNY] #353966 02/26/09 08:45 PM
N
NanaT Offline
Companion
Companion
N
Thanks for the help. I wasn't sure if she would lay more eggs or if they only lay once. Does your book say anything about that?

"The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else. That makes you unique!"
"Walt Disney"
Re: Teana - 'Two Eggs on Cage Floor' - Advice Needed [Re: NanaT] #353971 02/26/09 09:03 PM
G
GrammyinNY Offline
G
Yes, it says that budgies breed easily in captivity and that
the presence of a nesting box will promote breeding behavior.
However, it also states that females in cycle can spontaneously
lay eggs that are infertile and with no male nearby. There's
much more info - 16 pages actually.
As for telling the sex - it's usually pretty easy with a budgie. If you look just above their beaks at the cere a male bird will be a shade of blue, females can be brown, tan or pinkish.

GrammyinNY
Re: Teana - 'Two Eggs on Cage Floor' - Advice Needed [Re: PDM] #354577 03/04/09 12:32 AM
Kelly Kai Offline
Regular
Regular
And now my life story--

Angel is a chronic egg-layer (as of this post over 70 in the past 2 years). When it started I just tried separating her from the boys...but she kept at it. So then I let her raise a clutch to see if THAT would do it...and she kept laying eggs. So now I try moving her around cages to keep her from getting into 'nesting mode' (sitting at the bottom of the cage and being really aggressive when anything/one gets too close). If you are trying to raise babies, I would suggest reading some of the topics on breeding and buying some books. Although Angel did just fine on her own instinct (used the cage floor refused the nesting box).

Cricket (Angel's youngest baby) just started laying her own eggs a few days ago...I'm still looking for any ideas for stopping this but will start a new thread topic.

A good idea is to separate the males from females if you can, but I've got my 6 separated by who will kill each other and who will try to make babies! At this point, I've thrown in the towel and decided Angel hasn't died yet from vitamin insufficiency or egg-binding, and short of a painful and traumatic procedure to make her 'sterile,' there is nothing I can (or will) do to stop her. So she will do what she wants! smile

~~Kelly
Re: Teana - 'Two Eggs on Cage Floor' - Advice Needed [Re: Kelly Kai] #354719 03/05/09 12:14 AM
P
peepers mom Offline
P
I had two keets last year, and the older male died (Peepers - still miss him!) So with the one female I wanted to get her another "friend" and ended up getting two more! I couldn't decide between the two, so now I have three keets. Two are female and one is a male (most beautiful keet I've ever seen).

Now, my older female has started laying eggs. I had bought two birdhouses from a mail order and set them on top of my two cages. The older female (Polly) is the only one small enough to enter the birdhouse. She was in there so much I thought she was sick. When I picked the birdhouse up, a white egg rolled on the floor. I also have found one egg on the floor of the birdcage. Two days ago, I found another egg inside the birdhouse. I have just left them there since I read that if you remove them, the female will continue laying eggs to the point of becoming ill.

My question is: how long do you let the eggs lay there? Also, what about coccidiosis? Here is what I found online: Coccidiosis is passed to another bird during the Oocyst stage. The Oocyst is an egg-like structure that is excreted by the bird in to the environment/cage. The oocyst can remain inactive and exposed for many weeks and still infect another bird. The infection starts when an oocyst is ingested. Once ingested you may notice symptoms of the infection as early as 4-6 days later.

Has anyone heard of this before, and how do you tell if it is just an egg or coccidiosis?

Peepers Mom

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Why in 2013 Abercromibie Fitch Jackets So Popular?
by Conrad John - 11/23/21 09:15 PM
What is Sustainable Leeather
by alishanathaniel - 11/21/21 11:21 PM
Assessing Your Local Tire Recycling Market
by allenlu - 11/15/21 08:21 AM
Xanax cod saturday delivery fedex
by Walgreens USA - 10/29/21 09:43 AM
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by modafinilxpills - 10/27/21 08:32 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site