Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Please Help ME [Re: 1BlueBird] #349334 01/27/09 10:20 PM
NikkiT Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
Right, i had switched, I was adding the Egg-cite to their food but I started that around Dec 1st, and she just started this a few days ago. So i didnt think i could be the food switch.

Bootzy, Kami, and Sammy
Re: Please Help ME [Re: NikkiT] #349351 01/27/09 11:32 PM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
My best guess (and that is all it is-with 4 boys I have no "female" keet behavior experience), would be she is trying to nest. As was mentioned, if she is in breeding mode (is her cere dry and crusty?) but NOT with egg, it would actually be good to discourage the nesting behavior with the rocks in the food dish.

That will also create more of a foraging environment for getting the seeds and would be good too.

I have no idea how you tell if she is "with egg" but maybe if you posted that question in the breeding forum? Have you seen any "activity"?

Re: Please Help ME [Re: NikkiT] #349357 01/27/09 11:58 PM
joandboys Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
My Sweetie used to kick the big hard pellets from this food I gave him and talk to the empty corner. He liked kicking things out.

You have gotten a lot of good suggestions. I think she might be nesting or she might just like sitting in the dish. My Sweetie is a boy and when he was a baby he used to sit in the soft seed and rest.

You could reduce the size of the seed cup and buy a couple more and put them around the cage in various places. They would still have their food but it wouldn't make such a comfy nest.

Cookie and Sweetie
Re: Please Help ME [Re: TMI_Ash] #349362 01/28/09 12:28 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
If she is in breeding mode, maybe if you shorten the amout of light she gets would help.
Did you happen to switch food? Like Bluebird said maybe she doesn't like the food. What if you use a dif dish in a dif place?
IDK, just throwing ideas out there LOL

Re: Please Help ME [Re: TMI_Ash] #349368 01/28/09 12:48 AM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
totally agree with pudgie mom,females will do that when their tying to build a nest.how old is she?my suggestion is to move things around in the cage.when they become too comfortable they will do that and sometimes lay eggs.

when you wish upon a star,you pray you wish comes true.
Re: Please Help ME [Re: big bad momma] #349430 01/28/09 09:41 AM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Sweetgirl does that sometimes, usually if there is any new seed or pellets in the food dishes. She especially likes the sound the expensive pellets make when hitting the bottom of the cage, and they are in dishes too small for her to sit in so it is not that she is trying to nest, just telling me she is displeased with the food selection. She usually stops after a few days. But I put more dishes in the cage with less seed in each and the outside birds are well fed - I throw the seed she has tossed on the bottom of the cage outside on my balcony.

Re: Please Help ME [Re: Cetan] #349439 01/28/09 12:59 PM
C
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
You could also try using silo feeders. A creative big that simply likes to toss food can still do so but most won't. Don't switch all at once though. Add one or two and when you see them eating out of them, then remove the other ones that they are used to.

Personally, I don't use the dishes that came with my cage. They are too big and I don't like them that big.

Re: Please Help ME [Re: TMI_Ash] #349526 01/28/09 10:50 PM
guess what? Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
I don't have any real advice to give you that every one else has already said, but my handful hen Snezana would get up in the food bowl and lye down and eat what was around her, she kicked around a bit but just to get her legs buried in the food. She does it almost every day. Not sure why though. lazy indulgence perhaps? food fetish maybe.

Re: Please Help ME [Re: guess what?] #349531 01/28/09 11:01 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Snezana is instinctly scratching - that would be how she would find food if you were not feeding her. The scratch around for insects and any other tidbit they can find.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Architecture photography challeng
by latinkaone - 05/11/22 11:58 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site