LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 58 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 57 58
Re: What assortment of pets have you had [Re: Coco's Mama] #349494 01/28/09 08:05 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
sure - we can show you if you want to go on a snipe hunt.

A snipe does not exist - you tell someone you are going on a snipe hunt and do they want to go. Then you hand them a bag - tell them that everyone else is going out in all different directions and will chase the snipes toward you. You are to stand there on the ready to catch the snipes in the bag you are holding. Well everyone else takes off, leterally and you are left holding the bag.

Re: What assortment of pets have you had [Re: BLR] #349495 01/28/09 08:08 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
in fact the first indication that a snipe hunt is emminent is someone asking "what is a snipe"

Re: What assortment of pets have you had [Re: BLR] #349498 01/28/09 08:22 PM
Carl Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
Yep, that's about it. There are some different local variations. In my neck of the woods in South Georgia, my Mother, and my uncles and aunts, had been on hunts previously.

And there was a lot of laughter when they talked about going out, and which team got back first, and like that.

I was about 10 I think when I went out for the first time (and probably the only real time).

We called it a croker sack (a burlap bag), and one team was supposed to "beat the bushes" with sticks. The other team would hold the croker sacks near the ground with the neck open for the snipe to run into, and a flashlight on and aimed from near the neck of the bag.

I was told that it was similar to the way that rabbits will freeze when the light hits them, but actually opposite. The snipes, startled by the noise of the sticks hitting the bushes, would run toward the light.

As the sack holders intently focused on the snipe that would be coming toward them, the bush beaters would move on outward, and then sneak home.

In my Mother's day, she said they would go deep into the woods near their home. When I went, it was in the field near the woods, but not really that far (but it was dark).

The aunt nearest me in age (in fact, the same difference in age between me and my oldest younger sister) and I were a team. And she didn't give anything away, but I had figured it out. So we were back at the house BEFORE the bush beaters! And roaring with laughter when they arrived home.

I have later tales, but this one was one that I actually participated in. Actually, the dictionary does list a snipe. One is a fish, I think, and I think there is some kind of bird - but not like what is told in this "wild goose chase" scam.

Marge is the love of my life.
Re: What assortment of pets have you had [Re: Carl] #349505 01/28/09 09:00 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Wow -- that's some elaborate snipe-hunting, Carl!

Years ago I worked in the service dept. of a car dealership. The "initiation rite" (prank, really) the mechanics did to a new, young mechanic reminds me of snipe hunting: the kid was told to help an older guy by finding him the left-handed screwdriver! There was also something about a "brass magnet..." smile

Last edited by Pudgie's mom; 01/28/09 09:01 PM. Reason: neeeeed coffeeeee!
Re: What assortment of pets have you had [Re: ] #349509 01/28/09 09:16 PM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
That is so mean, lol.

How do people fall for that?

If you asked me on a snipe hunt, i would be like where , when what is the snipe how big is it show me a picture, ccan you catch disease from it, I could go on.. didn't anyone question standing out in the forest alone waiting with a sack for some wild creature?

Re: What assortment of pets have you had [Re: ] #349512 01/28/09 09:20 PM
Carl Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
Yes, military men send people on "wild goose chases" also. When I was aboard an aircraft carrier, I sent a fellow electronics tech to the supply department (who sent him on to other places) for [now you have to understand that this was the day that the electron tube was used in electronic equipment; later more and more the solid state circuitry was used] to requisition a fallopian tube. [also this was in the mid 60s - long before women served aboard U.S. naval ships]

And when I served on a little wooden-hulled minesweeper, all metallic materials that were not part of the ship's magnetic "signature" had to be offloaded onto the pier before the ship could go on minesweeping exercises. So I told a young and low rank kid that he would have to make an appointment with the base dentist to have all his magnetic fillings removed and replaced with non-magnetic fillings before our next exercise.

He had begun the steps to get the appointment when we took mercy on him.

And there was "striped" paint, and "mail buoy" watches. And I'm sure others know of many more.

Re: What assortment of pets have you had [Re: Carl] #349513 01/28/09 09:26 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Fallopian tube! Non-magnetic fillings! -- ROFL!

Re: What assortment of pets have you had [Re: ] #349524 01/28/09 10:42 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
yeah - a bucket of steam -

Re: What assortment of pets have you had [Re: Carl] #349533 01/28/09 11:08 PM
SweetBirdies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
ROFL!!!!!!! it still happens carl.. when i was in a few years ago, got out in 2002, we had the same things on the small boys. destroyer ships for those who don't know navy lingo. hehe. there were left handed screw drivers and stripped paint and fallopian tubes too. the mail buoy watch is still around too. and, yes BLR, the bucket of steam. all kinds of crazy stuff. LOL.
i can't remember the one about the water line. that was popular with the boatswains mates. haha

and we also caught fireflies when i was a kid, when i lived in OK. we had jars for them too and put them in our bedrooms too. we even put holes in the lids so they could breath. lol.
and i forgot that when we lived there we had a duck. it ended up flying away a few months after we got it.

Bella
Re: What assortment of pets have you had [Re: SweetBirdies] #349535 01/28/09 11:32 PM
Carl Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
After I got out of the Navy, I remained in San Diego (I had been on the Duluth, LPD-6).

I got active at Skyline Wesleyan Church (then in Lemon Grove, California), and after seminary, spent a year there as a Resident Intern Pastor. My primary job that year was assisting the Junior High Director, who had a program involving over 200 Junior Highers. My very first night there, was on a Wednesday night. Steve (the director) believed in tiring the kids out first, and then going back to the church for the learning activities. So this night was soccer - and all the counselors and leaders played, too! And there were TWO soccer balls in action at the same time. My tongue was hanging.

Anyway, as I drove kids to various activities in San Diego and LA, I had talked about snipe hunts. And the kids learned real quick that it was a scam. Most people you can laugh, and then get serious and pretend that your laughter meant nothing, and get them at least half-believing again.

Not so these kids. They pretended to believe, but on a beach trip to Mission Beach, some of them (near time to go) wanted to go on a coeducational snipe hunt down the beach. I said, NO! Get in the bus. I wasn't born yesterday.

PS - I WANTED someone to send me on a wild goose chase. I had a space for one of my ECM gear (the active ECM) that could only be entered from the portside catwalk along the flight deck. I figured I'd go there and sack out, and nobody would be able to find me right away. And I'd have the perfect excuse - I was ordered to do such and such.

Last edited by Carl; 01/28/09 11:38 PM. Reason: add PS

Page 35 of 58 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 57 58

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site