It's very nice. I'm sure Dude will love it, and I love his name. laugh

Re: Just Got the Cage All Set Up! [Re: BLR] #347853 01/20/09 02:19 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Nice cage and setup! You did a great job smile
I would suggest getting him clipped too. It really is easier to tame/train them.Like BLR said- make sure you tell whoever is doing the clipping that you want him to be able to glide a little so he doesn't just thump to the floor. He needs to at least be able to break his fall smile Later after he is more tame you can decide whether you want to let his flight feathers grow back and be flighted or not.
As for the coconut shell-I've never had one. If you are using it for veggies etc is it going to be washable enough? Maybe someone else has one and knows..
Congrats on the new cage and all. Bet you can't wait to get Dude home! I'm excited for you too smile

Re: Just Got the Cage All Set Up! [Re: BLR] #347860 01/20/09 02:45 PM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
I would agree with everything that blr said. Good advice!! I think your cage set up is very nice-I remember when my cage looked that "empty". LOL My cage is tall so the top half is full of stuff to play with and chew on. The bottom half is more clear for fluttering.

It also depends on how much your little guy will get out of the cage. Mine are out 4-6 hours a day so they get plenty of flappy time.

I agree that clipping is a personal choice. I had my guys wings clipped (actually did it myself) and kept them that way for some time. I haven't clipped them since the last flight feathers have started growing. So far, so good.

The pellets you got are ok, but about 1/2 way through using them, you may want to think about getting Harrisons (or at least a brand with no coloring). Start putting the non colored pellets in with the colored ones and slowly increase the non colored ones as you decrease and then run out of the colored ones.

Also, what size did you get? Many of the ones that say "parakeet" size, most are too big and you will find yourself crushing them. If you get Harrison's, go with the superfine. I clicked on the wrong link and ended up with 5 lbs of the fine size that I had to feed into the blender to make smaller! LOL

Personally, I like either silo dishes or smaller dishes for food as well as water. What I mainly use for pellets is I got some of the really cheap silo feeders from WalMart and I only use the dish part. They can eat from inside or outside of the cage.

I'm also not sure about the cleanliness issue of using the coconut shell for veggies. Is it coated on the inside? If moisture from the food can seep into the coconut I would worry about bacterial growth.

Tomorrow is the big day right??? I can't wait to see pictures. smile

Re: Just Got the Cage All Set Up! [Re: TMI_Ash] #347868 01/20/09 03:32 PM
Tanaka Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
[size:11pt][b][color:#990000]Don’t forget the paper![/color] ;) If it is an older bird, the paper can go under the grating of the floor. If it is a younger bird you’re bringing home, it can go on top of the grating which will help protect its feet. :) ‘Over’ or ‘under,’ either way, it’ll make cleaning [color:#990000]MUCH[/color] easier! :grin: Some people use only ‘black & white’ newspaper (avoiding colored print due to ‘toxins’ :sick: ). Some people use white ‘printing paper.’ Other people put newspaper down first and paper towels (or printing paper) over the newspaper. (Different strokes for different folks! :blush: ) As for the coconut, I’d avoid using it for ‘wet’ foods. Instead, I might fill it with “foot-toys” that Dude could drop to the floor (and you, oh diligent ‘master’ can pick up & put back in the coconut :crazy: ). Or put an occasional ‘dry’ treat in there :grin: . I agree with it being difficult to clean & keep bacteria free :sick: . Good luck! :D [/b][/size]

Peace & Happiness
Re: Just Got the Cage All Set Up! [Re: Tanaka] #347881 01/20/09 04:06 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Hey! I was thinking about using it for foot toys too! Ya beat me to it LOL It WOULD make a cool little birdy "toy box" smile
Mine just started playing with foot toys a few weeks ago. And he already has me trained to pick them up so he can proceed to drop them again! LOL He thinks it great fun!

Re: Just Got the Cage All Set Up! [Re: kksuns] #347889 01/20/09 05:03 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I use shredded paper from my paper shredder under the grate. It works great - I always have it and it is easy to change.

Re: Just Got the Cage All Set Up! [Re: BLR] #347900 01/20/09 05:27 PM
Nancy30 Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I have that same cage in green and they love it in that thing. great setup smile

A person has one sense of humor and two legs. its better to lose a leg.
Re: Just Got the Cage All Set Up! [Re: BLR] #347901 01/20/09 05:36 PM
SweetBirdies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
congrats on your beautiful cage and getting your lil dude soon.
i agree, pics pics pics. lol.

Originally Posted By: BLR
I use shredded paper from my paper shredder under the grate. It works great - I always have it and it is easy to change.

what a great idea. i like it. lol. i need to shred some papers too. i will get on that later. hehe.

btw all, i have learned a lot from this post. some of you know that i have not had sky for long, so i CAN use other ideas as well. i love this forum. hehe. grin wink

~~~~~~~~~~~
i need to go shopping now too, for sky. lol.

Bella
Re: Just Got the Cage All Set Up! [Re: SweetBirdies] #347954 01/20/09 08:19 PM
TMI_Ash Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions!

I think you all are right about the coconut shell thing, probably not a good idea for foods as it's porous. Is there a safe, non-toxic sealant that I might be able to coat it with? If not, the foot toy idea is perfect =)

I do have papers in the bottom already, actually. I put down wax paper and white paper towels over it. If this becomes uneconomical, I will probably change to good 'ol black and white newsprint. Dude is somewhere around six months and he is a fantastic flyer, and very adept at using perches, so I don't think there is any real need to cushion the bottom grill.

I had read about Harrisson's countless times on this forum and I looked in four different pet stores for it but I just couldn't find it! All the owners and managers said they didn't carry it. I would greatly prefer to use Harrisson's over this artificially colored brand, but I have used ZuPreem before with a Blue and Gold Macaw who, unfortunately passed a few months ago at the ripe old age of seventy nine. So, I figured it's the next best thing. The pellet sizes are approximately the same sizes as most of the parakeet seed mixtures I have seen. If Dude doesn't seem to be able to handle the pellet sizes, though, I will definitely take a mortar and pestle to his food. Some time soon I will be buying Harrisson's superfine pellets online and weaning Dude from one to the other.

Thank you all again for your kindness and helfulness! It is so appreciated =D

Re: Just Got the Cage All Set Up! [Re: TMI_Ash] #347968 01/20/09 08:46 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
He does still need seed in his diet.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How to write an essay in German
by bethyy - 08/13/22 07:01 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by williamN - 08/06/22 11:23 AM
Baby Parakeet still frozen in place after 3 weeks
by PaulWunsch - 07/28/22 06:06 AM
Tips for DTF printing
by textekprinter - 07/21/22 07:14 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site