Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Not talking [Re: kksuns] #345781 01/07/09 02:46 PM
F
Faith says hi Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
F
If you have had your bird for a while, and nothing obvious has changed in the bird's environment, then a significant change in behavior like this should cause you to consult a vet.

Really, if you can't think of something that has changed in the cage or in the room where you keep the bird, then you should be worried about your bird's health.

About leaving a radio on for your bird during the day, I understand your mom's concern about wasting electricity, but playing a small radio takes less power than the family TV probably uses while it's turned off. And silence during daylight causes small birds a LOT of stress and fear - in nature, silence means a predator is around, and keets have the instincts of prey.

If you can't get her to let you play a radio, maybe you can get a clock that ticks or hums loud enough to hear by the cage. That would be better than nothing.

Re: Not talking [Re: Faith says hi] #345854 01/07/09 11:47 PM
J
Jess Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
J
ive had my bird since, end of august of 2008.
Ok, ill look around and see what i have. i think theres a battery radio somewhere.
i moved my room around, could that be something?

i didnt know that...ill keep it in mind

Life's short, cherish everythin' you have.
Re: Not talking [Re: Jess] #345969 01/08/09 05:19 PM
F
Faith says hi Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
F
If you've had her since August, that's long enough for you to recognize when she's not acting normal - which you did.

And YES, if you rearranged your room, that could have upset your bird. Her environment has changed, and now she's not sure it's safe. (My birds are in the living room, and every year they sulk for a couple of days when we bring in the Christmas tree. And again when we remove it.)

She'll probably relax in a few days, especially if you make sure you spend at least as much time with her as usual.

To be safe, I would also say you should keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't show any other signs that could mean illness (like a change in droppings, or being unsteady or crouching on her perch, or never sitting on one foot, or fluffing up constantly).

Re: Not talking [Re: Faith says hi] #346019 01/08/09 11:00 PM
J
Jess Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
J
ok, ty

my room is very cold in the winter, could my bird fluff up a lot because of that?

Re: Not talking [Re: Jess] #346118 01/09/09 01:47 PM
F
Faith says hi Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
F
Originally Posted By: Jess
my room is very cold in the winter, could my bird fluff up a lot because of that?
Yes; if they are cold they will often fluff up so that their feathers can trap a layer of warmer air around their bodies.

Pet parakeets really should not be kept anyplace that is not at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit, and 70 F is safer. (They can survive lower temps in the wild, but in the wild they can go find shelter or huddle with their flock.)

If you can't keep your room that warm, you should provide your birds a shelter inside the cage where they can huddle if they need to. You could make a little tent and/or a corner shelter out of some scrap fabric. Helwa was making some last month, I think - let me see if I can find the thread.

If your room is REALLY cold, like below 60 F most of the day, then you ought to find a warmer location for the cage. Your birds are not likely to stay healthy very long if they are not able to be warm.

Re: Not talking [Re: Faith says hi] #346120 01/09/09 01:51 PM
F
Faith says hi Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
F
Here's the thread - it was longer ago than I remembered!
http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthread...true#Post333979

Re: Not talking [Re: Faith says hi] #346121 01/09/09 01:59 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Maybe you can pick up a little thermometer to put near his cage so you know how warm/cold it really is? And yeah, definitely if it's below 68 you should find a warmer spot for his cage. You wouldn't want him to get sick.If you can't relocate him I would -like Faith said- get him a cozy hut or make something he can snuggle up in(that is if he will even go near it LOL) and cover his cage with a warmer blanket at night. Move it away from outside walls where it tends to be colder.
And I would think it would be cheaper to run a radio on electricity than buying batteries all the time. Mom Pleeeeease???

Re: Not talking [Re: kksuns] #346163 01/09/09 09:50 PM
J
Jess Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
J
ok, ty ill try it. ive been looking for a thermometer and i cant find one.

Re: Not talking [Re: Jess] #346166 01/09/09 10:08 PM
Draw_me_a_Bunny Offline
Companion
Companion
I would check to see what your house is set to that should give you some idea as to what temperature your room is under. I don't know where you live but if you are describing your room as "very cold", it's probably too cold for your keet.

Can you move your keet to a more central location in your house? That way she would have more interaction from all the household noise and you wouldn't be upsetting your mother by leaving a radio on for your keet. Also, it would help with keeping your keet warm.

Re: Not talking [Re: Draw_me_a_Bunny] #346268 01/10/09 10:06 PM
J
Jess Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
J
ok

my parents wont let me, and ive asked them a lot

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site