Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Advice needed! #345755 01/07/09 05:33 AM
428pm Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
At the end of Last April, I had 2 beautiful baby budgies sorta dropped into my lap. They were rescues, both about 3-6 months old, and very timid.

They have both been terrified of any training attempts, and particularly, hands. I perch trained them, but that is as far as I got with them.

the past few months they have been showing signs of bravery, losing much of their timidness, but maintaining their fear.
They were starting to warm up a little, Josie I can pick up without a perch at all, but before xmas I had to clip their wings, and they seemed to regress a bit.

The past few weeks I have had an ache in my heart, becuase growing up we had dozens of birds, several parrots, and it seems that I always ahd a feathered friend to cuddle with, and yet my 2 birds dont let me touch them at all.

So I wondered? Can I tame them still or is it too late?

I took them one by one into the bathroom tonight. Sammi was uncomfortable with hands altogether, she cocked her head standing on the perch, and listened to me talking to her. She crawled on my leg, climbed my shoulder, ate my hair. But wants NOTHING to do with my hands. The second I bring my hand to close it's "ACK ACK" fly away.

I brought them closer and closer and wiggled my fingers, trying to get her used to them.

Josie on the other hand is a completely different set of problems...

She isnt afraid of hands, simply becuase if they get too close for her liking she chomps on them. Which hurts! What can I do???? OMG it hurts, lol! She will turn her back to me, cuddles into me and seeks out my hands when she is scared, and will let me pet her back, but she shakes the entire time and when I put her back, she holds her wings out and shudders.

I only spent 5 minutes with josie becuase of how stressed she gets by our 1-on-1 time. So although she seems the easier to tame, she is actually harder :S

Sop, sorry for being so long winded, but any advice would be appreciated! I love my baby girls, but I miss having a bird I can touch. I would love it if they could be tamed, becuase I honestly dont have time for a new bird, and I wouldnt dream of rehoming them just to get one I can cuddle with...Any thoughts?

Re: Advice needed! [Re: 428pm] #345774 01/07/09 02:16 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Geesh, IDK -I only have 1 and I got him when he was a baby.He was actually pretty easy all things considered.
So I guess I'm just bumping this up so hopefully you'll get advice from someone who's been there.
Good luck-hope they come around for you. It sure would make them happier )and you of course) if they could get over their fears smile
Where did you get them and what was their living conditions before? Were they abused or neglected?

Re: Advice needed! [Re: kksuns] #345852 01/07/09 11:25 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
I'm sorry to hear how stressful the training is going, but re-reading your post it strikes me that you really are making progress! Very, very slowly, no doubt, but nonetheless some sort of progress. Maybe it will just take more time and patience...

Like kksuns, I have only one budgie so I hope forum members who have lots will have some advice for you.

Re: Advice needed! [Re: 428pm] #345984 01/08/09 07:48 PM
CMB Offline
Companion
Companion
I'm sorry that training is so stressful for you all, but I'd agree with Pudgie's mum ~ I know it's slow but it seems like you are making real progress.

Sammi doesn't seem to be so much of a problem because although she's scared of hands she does seem to trust you. Will she eat millet from your hands? I was just thinking that maybe if you continue training as you are and slowly put the millet deeper into your hands until she has to get on them to eat it? That way it's her choice which might be more comfortable for her.

Also, I was upset that I can't cuddle Bernard but have recently found that although he doesn't really like my hands he will let me stroke him with my nose. I know that obviously it will hurt more if she decides to bite but maybe you could try that gently? Bernard seems to treat my face as a different bird to my hands and he seems to like it much better, maybe that will work for you?

Unfortunately I think you're right about Josie, she seems like she's going to be much more difficult. Maybe just try little and often with lots of patience, sorry!! You could try just spending time with her every day one on one and not try to do too much, hopefully after a while she will come to you.

I hope that at least some of this makes sense to you smile
Best of luck with them both and keep us updated on their progress

Last edited by CMB; 01/08/09 07:50 PM.

CMB

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Why in 2013 Abercromibie Fitch Jackets So Popular?
by Conrad John - 11/23/21 09:15 PM
What is Sustainable Leeather
by alishanathaniel - 11/21/21 11:21 PM
Assessing Your Local Tire Recycling Market
by allenlu - 11/15/21 08:21 AM
Xanax cod saturday delivery fedex
by Walgreens USA - 10/29/21 09:43 AM
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by modafinilxpills - 10/27/21 08:32 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site