Page 1 of 2 1 2
What do you do when you travel? #343441 12/22/08 06:18 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
L
Although it is kind of a long way off, I have a trip planned next year and I want to make sure my baby is well taken care of when I am gone. I will be away for 18 days and there is no one I trust to take proper care of her. My family lives too far away to come here and see to her and they can't take her home-they use Teflon pans, air fresheners, perfume, chemicals, etc. We have no friends, neighbors, or co-workers that could be trusted; most of them have kids or other pets and have never taken care of a bird before.
There are 3 places around here we can board her, but I'm not sure I have confidence in them. One is a pet store that has a separate room for birds. They said we can leave a list of instructions and they will follow them, but it seems mostly slacker teens work there. The second is a general animal hospital that offers boarding for birds off premises. I haven't seen this place yet, but I don't want her exposed to other birds or animals w/ illnesses. The third is an avian vet that board birds and I worry she could pick up an infection/bacteria from other birds, since they are handling sick birds daily.
So what do you do when you travel? Which do you think I should pick? I'm afraid she will die when we go away. frown
We will be traveling out of the country so we cannot bring her along, or I would.

Re: What do you do when you travel? [Re: Love My Budgies] #343442 12/22/08 06:21 PM
_
___JA Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
_
Based on your options, and I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, I think you just shouldn't go on your trip at all.
My opinion is that if you don't have anyone to take care of her, and your other options aren't great and possibly fatal, and you can't take her with you, you'll have to stay.

Re: What do you do when you travel? [Re: ___JA] #343446 12/22/08 07:21 PM
Mom2Monty Offline
Companion
Companion
Any pet sitting services near by?

We're going away in January for 10 days, so Monty is coming down to CT with us for Christmas to my parents house and they will watch him from Christmas-Beginning of February when my mom has surgery and I go down to see her and pick him up.

Mama to Monty Bird...my little acrobat!
Re: What do you do when you travel? [Re: Mom2Monty] #343457 12/22/08 08:08 PM
L
luv my bird
Unregistered
luv my bird
Unregistered
L
It sounds like no matter where you take her, she will be exposed to other birds. There's no reason why you shouldn't go on your trip. We can't give up living because we have animals. I wouldn't leave my birds where there are as you say "slacker" teens, I would opt for leaving the bird with the Avian vet. I would hope that the bird would get good care there.
I just lost my bird, but I am considering getting another bird and like you, I really have nobody to watch the bird. We are going away for 10 days in May. I just found out that the Avian vet, down the street from my house boards parakeets. For me, that will be the only option.
Good luck and enjoy the trip
Diane

Re: What do you do when you travel? [Re: ] #343488 12/23/08 01:19 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Based on your options I would go with the Avian vet. I'm curious as to what you base your "slacker" teen label on. Have you seen these kids in inaction? Or is this just your general perception of all teenagers. There are good kids out there who are responsible and work hard. I can think of at least one teenage member of this board who volunteered, enthusiastically, at a pet store or vet last summer.

Another option is to check out pet-sitters. In this area there are people who will come to your house and take care of your animals.

Check out craig's list.........they often advertise on there.

I am fortunate to have a neighbor who comes in to take care of Emily twice a day. Were it not for her, Emily would be boarded at Bird is the Word, the bird store where we got her. They are very strict about what birds they board, as they do not want to expose their birds to illness. You must present certificates from an avian vet proving they are free of 4 diseases.

Best of luck.............

Kathy

Last edited by cyberbud; 12/23/08 01:21 AM.

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: What do you do when you travel? [Re: cyberbud] #343502 12/23/08 02:59 AM
TBJ♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I usually leave mine with my friend who has birds, but since that's not an option for you, I would leave yours with the avian vet. Think about it this way... if she gets sick, at least she will be in the hands of a vet who can take care of her.

Re: What do you do when you travel? [Re: TBJ♥] #343510 12/23/08 03:24 AM
J
jennajohns Offline
Regular
Regular
J
Diane where in PA do you live bc i could watch your bird if you get one, we are eastern pa bucks county area

Re: What do you do when you travel? [Re: jennajohns] #343514 12/23/08 03:33 AM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I would leave her with the avian vet.hopefully nothing will happen.but in the event she gets ill;at least she be with bird experts and they will take all the steps to assure she stay healthy.my family watches my babies when i'm away.

when you wish upon a star,you pray you wish comes true.
Re: What do you do when you travel? [Re: big bad momma] #343533 12/23/08 01:16 PM
L
luv my bird
Unregistered
luv my bird
Unregistered
L
Jenna, that is so sweet of you. I can't believe that you would do that for me. I live in an area of PA called Southampton. It's in Bucks Country very close to Philly. PM me with your info. Thanks so much.

Re: What do you do when you travel? [Re: ] #343537 12/23/08 02:12 PM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
Hopefully things will work out for Jenna to help you but if not, I agree and would go with the Avian Vet for boarding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site