LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Prevent seed on the floor #342986 12/19/08 01:21 AM
Rohn DS Offline OP
OP Offline
Every day I vacuum seed hull off the floor around the bird cage. How does everyone handle this issue.

Today I tried spreading the seed on the floor of the cage. This seem to work a little bit. The only problem is there will be too much seed hull on the floor that I would have to change the newspaper on the floor of the bird cage at least once a day.

Any bright ideas

Rohn

Re: Prevent seed on the floor [Re: Rohn DS] #342987 12/19/08 01:43 AM
Jessica Rawks Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
LOL Welcome to the joys of owning a bird! Seed hulls will happen! You could try buying a cage skirt or you could try one of these products... http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8362
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5945
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14401
But really and truly, birds are messy little buggers and you are bound to ave at least SOME mess.
IMO...you SHOULD change your cage paper daily, that way nasty bacteria doesn't have a chance to grow from their waste.
If you find something that works for the seeds, let us know!!

Last edited by Jessica Rawks; 12/19/08 01:43 AM.

The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Re: Prevent seed on the floor [Re: Rohn DS] #343014 12/19/08 03:14 AM
Tanaka Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
[size:11pt][b] You could hull the seeds yourself before you put them in the cage! :crazy: That’ll get rid of the mess. . . :/ I have plastic sheeting on the sides and back of my cage, this really helps keep the mess to a budgie minimum! :) Having tatami matting where my birds are makes it easy to “hand-sweep” seeds. :D Also, believe it or not, I don’t own a vacuum cleaner!!! :o I use those “lint-roller-thingamajigs” to clean my SMALL floor! They work great on the seeds and feathers that make it to the floor. [/b][/size] :grin:

Peace & Happiness
Re: Prevent seed on the floor [Re: Tanaka] #343083 12/19/08 04:44 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I vacumn a lot and when i dont I have a messy floor

Re: Prevent seed on the floor [Re: Cetan] #343095 12/19/08 07:29 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
You should change the paper on floor every day anyway. And if you sprinkle their seed on the floor they will be eating poo! frown
I would just buy or make a cage skirt. I vacuum at least once, sometimes twice a day anyway so....
One of those little handheld vacs would be handy for the seed mess if you don't usually have to vacuum every day. I have a dog that sheds alot so I have to vac anyway smile

Re: Prevent seed on the floor [Re: kksuns] #343106 12/19/08 09:36 PM
TBJ♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
The cage skirts are a great idea, they really help. I also keep a small vacuum in my room so I don't have to lug up the full sized one every time they make a mess (I'm extremely lazy laugh ).

Re: Prevent seed on the floor [Re: TBJ♥] #343310 12/21/08 07:38 PM
T
tink_luvs_bubba Offline
T
Owning birds just means you have to clean their cage daily and clean up seeds daily, but what they give in return is SOOOOO worth every hull. At least, I think so smile

Re: Prevent seed on the floor [Re: tink_luvs_bubba] #343312 12/21/08 07:51 PM
hippiegirl Offline
Yep, seeds, hulls, feather tufts, on the floor come with the territory. I have a huge cage and boy oh boy do they make a mess! But my birds add to my life more than they take away so I'm okay with it. Plus, I have an awesome high-dollar vac!yeah!

Re: Prevent seed on the floor [Re: hippiegirl] #343321 12/21/08 09:10 PM
A
Ant
Unregistered
Ant
Unregistered
A
You could try laying down a few rugs around the cage, this kinda works. This way you could just shake the rugs out the window and you don't have to vacuum as much. You could use a dust buster around the areas where there are seed hulls. Honestly though, there's really no real way to avoid using the vacuum they will always manage to make a mess no matter what lol, but it's so worth it, I would take a mess any day, than not having their company smile

Oh and they have those seed guards, you put them around the cage. It kinda does work, but I think it's more work actually. You have to clean it very often because it gets all poopy and the seed hulls will stick to it then on top of that, clean the hulls on the floor. It does prevent the seeds from going on the floor to a certain extent, but I dunno, I rather vacuum, I think it's easier.

http://www.birdsupplies.com/Bird-Cage-Barrier-Seed-Guards-p/bbi.htm

Last edited by Ant; 12/21/08 09:19 PM.
Re: Prevent seed on the floor [Re: ] #343689 12/24/08 09:08 PM
xerox Offline
Companion
Companion
i had this problem too and what i did is that i put the food ONLY on the bottom trays of the cage or by the lowest perch. this way all the food dropings stays inside.

also stuff like this is a mess:
http://www.petco.com/product/6098/Avian-Select-Polly-Pals-Glass-Bird-Waterer.aspx
they make them for food too. i dont like them. a lot of the food goes to waste cuz the birds drop it and the food goes outside the cage a lot. i just give my birds two tablespoons of food each everyday in a cage cup.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site