Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
any ideas? #342794 12/17/08 12:47 AM
WhitePegasus Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
In the last storm my area had, over 400,000 people were left without power and i was one of them. I'm lucky enough to have gotten my power back within 3 days, some will not have it till after christmas.
I wanted to pick some brains and see if anyone had any tips about keeping the keets warm with no power. I sadly have electric heat so it dropped to 50 in here bbrr. I covered the cage with a big blanket and gave them an empty food tub filled with hand warmers (wrapped in towels of course) in hopes that they would huddle in there and stay warm.
any one else have any ideas? Well short of packing them up and leaving, i had NO WHERE to go, all of my friends and family had no power either.

Re: any ideas? [Re: WhitePegasus] #342806 12/17/08 03:03 AM
I
IronFront Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I
You could always get a small travel cage and put a hand warmer under 1/2 of it. That way they have a place to cool off and a place to warm up.

Re: any ideas? [Re: IronFront] #342814 12/17/08 05:23 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
We have one of those "safe for indoor use" propane heaters. They are great for the Humans also. After our last ice storm we have several alternative heating sources. It was pretty tough here during our ice storm last year. Probably not as cold as your part of the country.

Re: any ideas? [Re: BLR] #342819 12/17/08 05:58 AM
WhitePegasus Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
oh i hadn't thought of that one Yowo, i do have a travel cage i should get a slightly larger one so there is room for both of them. They didn't seem to like the food tub frown.
BLR i'll keep the propane heater in mind! We have one at the barn for the grain room and it works wonderfuly. Currently i'm in an apartment and they do not allow any type of indoor heater other than another electric radiator which is NO help with no power lol. I just hope the power does not go out in this next storm. It started snowing about an hour ago and tomrrow afternoon it is supposed to start sleet/freezing rain instead.

Re: any ideas? [Re: WhitePegasus] #342820 12/17/08 06:08 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
is your hot water gas or electric - you could put a hot water bottle under their travel cage.

Re: any ideas? [Re: BLR] #342821 12/17/08 06:09 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
You might wrap the hand warmers in paper towels so it doesn't scare them as much

Re: any ideas? [Re: BLR] #342822 12/17/08 11:46 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
We talked about this about a month ago and I don't know if there were any good solutions. I'm worried about the same thing.
I'm going to sew some pouches on his cage cover and get some big hand warmer things. You can get them 5"x6" size.Then I will put another blanket over it to try to hold in the heat. I've never used them but my son says you can feel the heat coming off the hand and toe warmers about a foot from them.Or you can get those ones they make for your back(supposed to last about 12hrs I think) that might even strap around a small cage. I also thought about hot water bottles(I think I'd put one under and on top)-my neighbor has a gas stove so I can get her to heat water as I need it. Do you have a gas stove?
Here is a heater I found online when I was looking for one for my son's truck. It hooks directly to a car battery so if you had a car battery...only problem would be keeping the battery charged? hmmm
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12dihocehe.html
I'm not sure about using any kind of propane heater, it kind of scares me.
Anyway, any other good ideas out there..I'd be very interested smile
I hope your power doesn't go out again too. I know some people about 60 miles or so south of us have been without power since Friday's ice storm. We were lucky and got all snow. It's snowing again here now (school is delayed 2 hrs) and they're watching 2 more storms-one on Thurs and one on Sun. Uggggh winter is here! Again!

Re: any ideas? [Re: kksuns] #342843 12/17/08 03:42 PM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
my only suggestion would be to buy a generator.

they can be costly, but in the long run they really save the day.

we have a generator for those pesky hurricanes. it has to stay outside, they do sell indoor models but they cost more.

we put ours on the patio and run the power lines inside and it works like a charm. we also bought a portable a/c unit because in summer with no power in florida its beyond hellishly awful and it works very well, you could get a generator and a couple ceramic heat fans and your house would be super warm.

i know they cost alot but if you are losing power on a somewhat regular basis and specially with the cold, it might be worth it.

Re: any ideas? [Re: ] #342858 12/17/08 07:06 PM
WhitePegasus Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
Originally Posted By: BLR
is your hot water gas or electric -

Sadly EVERYTHING here is electric. My first thought was hot water botels but no such luck.
kksuns: I didn't know about the bigger warmers, those are a very good thought. I was in Rite Aid getting candels and found the hand warmers and thought of the gecko first then it took me a while to figure out how i could use them for the birds.
Helwa: My parents just got a generator fridaay, they were without power for a week. At least now i have a place to go if i know i'll be without power for an extended peroid.

I'm so glad it didn't go out again. looks like we got all snow and none of the freezing rain/sleet they expected...at least not yet.
thanks for your ideas! feel free to keep posting if u have more i'm sure there are more ppl from up north like me that could use them!

Re: any ideas? [Re: WhitePegasus] #342859 12/17/08 07:32 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Have your kittees curl up under the keets - wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Growing my own greens for my birds question
by LA-Birds - 09/24/21 10:17 PM
Make sure you have a solid business plan
by allenlu - 09/24/21 05:51 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by allenlu - 09/24/21 02:31 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site