Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! #341186 12/07/08 04:42 PM
Tanaka Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
[size:11pt][b]For all the old hands here, this has probably come up a million times. . . :crazy: BUT: [color:#990000]Could you help me with finding a good cuttlebone holder? :) [/color]Those metal thingamajigs that come with the cuttlebone seem too sharp (and the actual type of metal itself seems questionable to me :o ) to use. If you have pictures or can direct me (internet) to holders you feel are [color:#990000][u]SAFE[/u][/color] to hold the cuttlebone, I would love to check them out! :grin: Awhile ago I tried to make a holder, but it really only worked “great” until Popo Chan decided to actually eat some cuttlebone. . . Then it failed miserably!!! :eek: (I know I saw something here about this over the summer, I just was unsuccessful finding it again!!!) ;) Thank You!!!!![/b][/size] :D

Peace & Happiness
Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! [Re: Tanaka] #341188 12/07/08 04:52 PM
Jasper's mom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I know someone with one of these:

http://www.petdiscounters.com/c57/Cuttlebone-Millet-Spray-Holders-p1014.html

and this is the one I have:

http://www.petdiscounters.com/c3/Insight-Cuttlebone-Holder-p5597.html

You can use it with or without the perch attachment. I like it because it does help with the mess if you have a bird that uses it alot (or multiple birds)

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! [Re: Jasper's mom] #341190 12/07/08 04:57 PM
Jasper's mom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
here's a picture of it too:

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! [Re: Jasper's mom] #341193 12/07/08 05:02 PM
F
Faith says hi Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
F
Yep, those are the two best cuttlebone holders I know of, too.

I wanted the one Jasper's mom has, but ended up with the other one she linked to, because that's what my local specialty bird shop carries, and I didn't want to wait for shipping. (I actually have the larger size, because it's easier to shove the cuttlebone in there without snapping the cuttlebone in half.)

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! [Re: Faith says hi] #341202 12/07/08 05:28 PM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Yeah, I also have that second cuttlebone holder that Jasper's mom posted. It's really useful because it catches all of the cuttlebone dust that your parakeet's make when they chew on it. As you can see in the picture, there is a little catcher below the cuttlebone and it catches the dust, which your parakeets can then eat which is really good because almost nothing goes to waste! It also just holds the cuttlebone very securely.

And I agree with you, Tanaka. I always hated those metal things.

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! [Re: Jasper's mom] #341387 12/08/08 03:58 PM
Tanaka Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
[size:11pt][b]That second one looks great! :grin: Thanks Jasper’s Mom! :) I know what is going on my wish-list for Christmas this year! :blush: And thank you for the photo of it “in action”! You were a big help.[/b][/size] :) [size:14pt][b]Stephen Said:[/b][/size] [quote] And I agree with you, Tanaka. I always hated those metal things.[/quote] [size:11pt][b]Yeah, the one that came with the cuttlebone I bought had little brown spots of rust on it! :eek: I saw that and knew there was no way I was going to put it in my bird’s cages. :o That & the sharp edges made up my mind to find another way to mount their cuttlebone! I just didn't know how!!!!!![/b][/size] :crazy:

Peace & Happiness
Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! [Re: Tanaka] #341388 12/08/08 04:01 PM
Amaggiepie Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
I have the same cutlebone holder for my tiel as well. Yeah, the metal things dont work so good, and can be sharp. I love this holder because it holds it on very securely, even though my tiel climbs all over it. And its brightly colored!

~ Maggie
Mama to Juliana Elise (03/07), Wesley Dominick (06/10) and four feathered 'tielbabies!
Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! [Re: Amaggiepie] #341389 12/08/08 04:10 PM
Tanaka Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
[size:11pt][b]And the “catcher” looks like a nice feature. . . Got to get me one! (Actually two, one for each bird!)[/b][/size] :D

Peace & Happiness
Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! [Re: Tanaka] #341428 12/08/08 10:14 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Interesting -- glad you started this topic, Tanaka! I will keep an eye out for a "thingamajig" with a catcher -- seems like a great idea. The metal thing Pudgie has currently for her cuttlebone is holding up well and is not too sharp, but it's a pain in the neck when I scrub the cage.

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! [Re: Tanaka] #341436 12/08/08 10:31 PM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Tanaka
Yeah, the one that came with the cuttlebone I bought had little brown spots of rust on it! eek I saw that and knew there was no way I was going to put it in my bird’s cages. shocked crazy

I know! I buy the 6-pack of cuttlebones from PetSmart and three of the uttlebnes come with 'free' metal clips. When I take these clips out to throw them away, they nearly always have rust on them!

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Check out my new sig!
by AleneBauch - 07/01/22 10:14 AM
adidas continental 80 reduziert
by textekprinter - 06/30/22 02:57 AM
Forum game- This or that!
by JacMcilne - 06/28/22 05:18 AM
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by latinkaone - 06/06/22 08:53 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site