10/30/08 06:43 AM
10/30/08 06:43 AM
Salem, Oregon
S
shana Offline OP
shana  Offline OP
S

Salem, Oregon
My bird, Archimedes, is very healthy but she has always moulted a lot. Probably 6 times a year. She seems to moult every other month. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas why she might do this. I got her three years ago on Halloween. She flies a lot, eats a lot (although she flings her food on the floor when I am gone too long at work and lets me know she is angry) and plays a lot. She loves to travel. I took her to Reno about two weeks ago. It was cold then, a fluke cold spell. I live in Las Vegas and now it is back to 85-90 degrees. I wonder if the temperature changes have anything to do with it. She is moulting again right now (started yesterday) but moulted last month too. Thanks for replying smile

Re: Parakeet Moulting? [Re: shana] #335413
11/01/08 01:35 PM
11/01/08 01:35 PM
Michigan
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Cetan  Offline
Soulmate

Michigan
I have 4 keets so there is always some molting going on. I really don't know why some of mine molt a lot; Batboy loses his tail feathers a few times a year but Sweetboy has only lost his once on 3 years. I do notice a lot more feather and fluffs on the floor if it gets warmer or colder suddenly

Re: Parakeet Moulting? [Re: Cetan] #335415
11/01/08 02:22 PM
11/01/08 02:22 PM
S
Sherby'sMom Offline
Companion
Sherby'sMom  Offline
Companion
S

I was wondering about the molting cycle too. I've had Sherby since May and he molted for about 2 monthes. I know people on the forum have said their first molt usually takes longer, and that was his first. It ended the end of September or early October, and he's starting to get pin feathers again already!!! Is that normal? I live in Michigan as well, so it could be weather changes, I guess. I was gonna say fall and spring were bad for inconcistant weather, then I thought about it and realized, its always inconcistant.

Re: Parakeet Moulting? [Re: Sherby'sMom] #339918
11/28/08 07:25 AM
11/28/08 07:25 AM
Salem, Oregon
S
shana Offline OP
shana  Offline OP
S

Salem, Oregon
Well Archimedes is done molting for now and looks great. She had pin feathers on her head for about a week but now all the feathers have grown in. She tried to do another mini molt when the weather turned cold again but she stopped. I was also wondering if she molted to try and create a nesting place? My old roommate thought that was possible because all the feathers were in one corner of the cage. Her cere is also really brown and stands out almost three dimensionally. I have never had a female parakeet before so I am not sure what breeding cere's look like.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Do you practice tsundoku?
by Sherrylin. 01/18/20 07:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
General Discussion
Books, TV, Movies
Da Vinci Code
Dreams
Japanese Culture
Life, Universe, Everything
Online Courses
Politics
Religious Research
Show Your Own Work
Work From Home / Writing

Parakeets
General Parakeet Chat
Keet Stories and Photos
Parakeet Photo Gallery
Budgie Training
Health and Medical Issues
Parakeet Breeding
In Memory Of ...
Non-Budgie Pets and Animals
Non-Budgie Animal Photos
Off-Topic for Keet Owners
Games
Animal Rights
Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site