Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Re-homing Pet Peeve #331636 10/13/08 04:40 PM
Me & 6 Fids Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Okay I am curious, why do people try to "Re-home" their pets for more then what one would cost if they would come from a store? I would think that people would re-home a pet b/c they are no longer able to care for them and request a small fee to make sure the person getting the pet is serious and not using the new pet as bait. IDK.

What are you thoughts on rehomeing and the fees that are charged?

-Lisa
Charlie(keet)RIP 6/16/09
Arseus(keet)
Lovie(LB)
Shibi-Shibi(LB)
Sunny(LB)
Pauli(LB)
Re: Re-homing Pet Peeve [Re: Me & 6 Fids] #331645 10/13/08 05:13 PM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
well sometimes the rehoming fee includes the cages, food and toys and stuff like that and then i could understand because that stuff is costly and could easily be sold separatly for way more money but its best the bird/other pet keep what its familiar with.

what i dont get is that people actually think a re homing fee will automatically insure that the pet goes to a good home.

do sociopaths not also have money LMAO ... just cause someone can pay money for a pet doesnt mean they will love it. ive seen people spend $3,000 on a bird, $1000 on a cage and hundreds more on supplies and still literally starve, beat and injure the bird ...evil lurks everywhere ... and money is no deterrant.

if i ever had to ..god forbid... get rid of my birds or my pets, i would not charge a rehoming fee, i would gladly give them with all thier belongings to a good home, but i would interview and do a home visit and do everything in my power to make sure they went to a GOOD home, not just someone who is willing to pay some money.

Re: Re-homing Pet Peeve [Re: ] #331651 10/13/08 05:20 PM
Me & 6 Fids Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Originally Posted By: *helwa

if i ever had to ..god forbid... get rid of my birds or my pets, i would not charge a rehoming fee, i would gladly give them with all thier belongings to a good home, but i would interview and do a home visit and do everything in my power to make sure they went to a GOOD home, not just someone who is willing to pay some money.

That's what i think people should do if they were going to give away their bird...interview, home visit, and provide a signed agreement too!

-Lisa
Charlie(keet)RIP 6/16/09
Arseus(keet)
Lovie(LB)
Shibi-Shibi(LB)
Sunny(LB)
Pauli(LB)
Re: Re-homing Pet Peeve [Re: Me & 6 Fids] #331739 10/14/08 02:09 AM
Me & 6 Fids Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
a perfect example of proper re-homing is DeShanna case...where the owner was going to take it to a high kill shelter but instead decided to give them to DeShanna for free instead of some high price for the cage and accessories. She got a sweet deal there! Another example is a lady is looking for a new home for her lovebirds b/c her son has allergies and she's only requesting $25 for the two....another good deal.

-Lisa
Charlie(keet)RIP 6/16/09
Arseus(keet)
Lovie(LB)
Shibi-Shibi(LB)
Sunny(LB)
Pauli(LB)
Re: Re-homing Pet Peeve [Re: Me & 6 Fids] #331746 10/14/08 04:19 AM
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I had to re-home my dog after he bit my son. I charged no fees at all, sent his entire toybox and everything he had ever owned, as well as all his vet records.

I was grateful and relieved that the family he went to cherished him, and welcomed him.

The only thing I asked for was the occasional update.

Re: Re-homing Pet Peeve [Re: 428pm] #331912 10/15/08 02:51 AM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
As many of you know, Caico and Antigua were re homed to me. Bunchesofjoy did not visit my home but we did have lots of PM's and she saw all of my photobucket pictures of Aruba and read ALL of my previous posts about Aruba (ones I posted before the subject of the re-homing took place). She also asked for updates and I try to remember to send her a PM with a direct link to any post I make about Caico or Antigua. BUT she didn't charge me anything. We are about 3 hours away from each other and I met up with her to pick up the birds. I am very grateful that she found and chose me when she needed to re-home them. smile

Re: Re-homing Pet Peeve [Re: ] #331916 10/15/08 02:55 AM
Me & 6 Fids Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Those are the things i would think a rehomed pet should go through...find a suitable person that you feel comfortable with, who you know is going to great care of your babies!

-Lisa
Charlie(keet)RIP 6/16/09
Arseus(keet)
Lovie(LB)
Shibi-Shibi(LB)
Sunny(LB)
Pauli(LB)
Re: Re-homing Pet Peeve [Re: Me & 6 Fids] #331935 10/15/08 03:42 AM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
yes if i ever gave my pets away, if it ever had to come to that, i would honestly seek out a temporary situation. i would rehome them until i could take care of them again. i just cant see myself letting them go forever, im way too in love. i did that with a puppy once and i swear i cry when i think of her and its been 10 yrs.

i just couldnt do it again, i dont have it in me lol ... and honestly if it came down to it, id go hungry to feed my pets LOOOOL im THAT crazy.

Re: Re-homing Pet Peeve [Re: ] #332022 10/15/08 06:53 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I have turned down jobs that would be really cool because I couldn't take the babies; teaching in a village in rural Alaska only plane accessible - how would I take them how would they adapt to the climate and conditions and I wouldnt be able to get them their food and treats.

Re: Re-homing Pet Peeve [Re: Cetan] #332318 10/16/08 10:07 PM
Darkness Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I've seen some awful rehoming fees. Sometimes I don't think they're thinking of the animals but the money. And that's a no no in my book.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site