Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wishful thinking? #330028 10/02/08 10:37 AM
CMB Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
I recently bought some Harrison’s mash to try to convert Bernard to pellets. I didn't hold out much hope since he refuses all of the veggies that I've tried. I have a mirrored treat cup with beads on it, which I have tried to introduce the veggies in. Yesterday Bernard was out of the cage and we were playing when I thought that I'd put some mash in the treat cup. He ate it!! Not all of it but he seemed to realise that it was food and he didn't seem to hate it. So this morning I thought, ok, since he knows it's food he wont starve so I can just leave mash in there when I go to work and he should eat it. Then I chickened out and worried that he'd be too fussy and stubborn to eat it so I put seed in his cage as well as the mash. I have two questions really, (1) Can I do that or is there a possibility that he wont eat the mash even though he knows that he can? (2) I know the budgie diet should include 25% seed, so how do I give him this if he does have pellets? He picks the seed over the mash every time, do I just leave a small amount of seed in his cage and when he's done then he gets mash or what? Thanks for reading :)

CMB
Re: Wishful thinking? [Re: CMB] #330029 10/02/08 10:47 AM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
always leave seed in the cage, even if he likes the pellets he may not be in the mood to eat them and many/most budgies are stubborn enough to starve with food right next to them because it isnt what they want.

i would get some actual pellets and mix it in with his seeds, thats what i do.

also try harrisons bird bread, super awesome.

and keep in mind they only need 1 teaspoon of harrisons per day, no more than that. and that is like 10 pellets when you measure it out. lol

the process will take a while, eventually he will like them and eat them. my birds regulate themselves pretty well they eat the pellets then the veggies and then the seeds.

most of the time i grind up the pellets and mix it with the veggies lol and they have some mixed in with their seeds.

so they get it without having to go to much trouble convincing them.

Re: Wishful thinking? [Re: ] #330037 10/02/08 12:59 PM
L
luv my bird
Unregistered
luv my bird
Unregistered
L
Talk about excited, Boo ate a string bean yesterday. I cried. LOL. My boy ate a veggie.

Re: Wishful thinking? [Re: ] #330038 10/02/08 12:59 PM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
hahhaahhaha congrats smile

i know the first time i saw jazzie and nunu eat brocoli i nearly passed out from excitement smile

Re: Wishful thinking? [Re: ] #330054 10/02/08 02:01 PM
Nancy30 Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
i remember when georgia started eating veggies I ran and got my cam recorder and was going to tape it but of course she stopped by the time i got it lol. its always exciting when they eat veggies smile

A person has one sense of humor and two legs. its better to lose a leg.
Re: Wishful thinking? [Re: Nancy30] #330061 10/02/08 02:24 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Mine still dont like veggies but went crazy with some watermelon yesterday, both the girls have pink heads now

Re: Wishful thinking? [Re: ] #330063 10/02/08 03:09 PM
CMB Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Quote:
most budgies are stubborn enough to starve with food right next to them because it isnt what they want
That's what I was worried about helwa! He is a bit of a silly bird crazy

Quote:
i would get some actual pellets and mix it in with his seeds, thats what i do
Bernard has a very bad habit of pulling out the seeds he wants and throwing the rest on the floor so I'm worried that this wouldn't work!

I know what you mean luv my bird, I'd be so happy if he ate any vegetables!! I'd probably cry too! haha

CMB
Re: Wishful thinking? [Re: CMB] #330064 10/02/08 03:21 PM
F
Faith says hi Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
F
If you try Harrison's pellets, consider getting the super-fine size, which are almost as small as millet seeds. My keets won't touch the bigger pellets (lazy bums) but they do eat the itty bitty ones.

lol, helwa, when you said 10 pellets was about a teaspoon my first thought was you were crazy, then I realized of course you buy the next size up.

Re: Wishful thinking? [Re: CMB] #330065 10/02/08 03:24 PM
L
luv my bird
Unregistered
luv my bird
Unregistered
L
I've also watched as Boo selected certain seeds and tossed the others on the floor. Unfortunately, Boo loves pasta, noodles, bread and eggs. We're NOT going to mention the junk food that he likes....not that he gets it that often.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site