Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Does Anyone Weigh Their Keets #32508 11/16/05 02:08 AM
chirpy Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
I have my two birds for almost a year now but I never weighed them (not that I have a scale to begin with). Does anyone know what is the average or ideal weight for a keet?

The younger but more dominant keet loves to eat and she looks like a Pillsbury dough bird (or an English budgie). Remember that commercial? The older one, however, loves to fly and exercise, and has to constantly yield to the younger bird when it comes to feeding time. In fact, she needs to run to another seed bowl everytime the younger bird approaches. So, she looks really slim but muscular from all the exercise, kind of looking like an Olympic athlete. LOL.

I wonder if I should separate them for a while even though they kind of okay with each other, when not fighting for food or attention.

Re: Does Anyone Weigh Their Keets #32509 11/16/05 02:16 AM
adieu Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
hi chirpy
i copied this from a previous discussion about weight, this quote comes from sylv:

Between 28 and 56 grams is the usual weight for a keet anywhere between these two is o.k.I think it depends on the size and age too.English keets are at the higher end.

I personally have never weighed esso and doubt i would ever bother with it. I have read that you should be able to palpate the top of their breast bone, and if you cannot, then your keet may be overweight. ...
You obviously know your keets very well - so you probably will have good intuition as to what to do with them .... I would think as long as there are at least 2 seed dishes available at any time, then i would not worry about one not getting enough food. I guess the other question is should you alter the diet if you really think the younger bird is getting obese, and that might be something to consider. What do you do for their diet now? let us know what you end up doing!

chance favors the prepared mind.
Re: Does Anyone Weigh Their Keets #32510 11/16/05 02:57 AM
chirpy Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Thanks for the prompt reply, Esso's mommy. My birds are on an 80/20 diet of seeds/veggies, respectively. The young bird looks fat because she loves to eat and does not like to fly as much even though she wants to be out of the cage, particularly when she sees her friend is outside flying happily.

Funny thing is that the young bird always want to sample both seed dishes and picks out the choicest seeds. So, the old bird usually ends up being chased away, but she seems to do this "voluntarily". I say that facetiously because it is like second nature to her now ... when the young bird is only half way near her, she hops off the dish and starts heading for the other dish. Honestly, I believe she is afraid of getting pecked.

One time, when she was eating, but the young bird was locked outside the cage but looking in, she just kept eating with a smirk on her face.
LOL!!

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How to write an essay in German
by bethyy - 08/13/22 07:01 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by williamN - 08/06/22 11:23 AM
Baby Parakeet still frozen in place after 3 weeks
by PaulWunsch - 07/28/22 06:06 AM
Tips for DTF printing
by textekprinter - 07/21/22 07:14 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site