Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? #325026 09/07/08 07:51 AM
C
CRAZYOTAKU Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
C
I haven't ever since I saw the videos of the animal abuse that happens involving the chickens.

Here is a game that educates you on the situation as you play.
http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/superchicksisters/index.asp

Here are several videos of celebrities talking about the cruelty. Watch the "Kentucky Fried Cruelty" one by Pamela Anderson. I do warn you though...The contents are very graphic and disturbing.

Some people say that these videos are just isolated incidents so it isn't a big deal. I think differently. I think that if this goes on at all, I refuse to eat KFC until conditions improve. The same goes for Tyson chicken (One of the factories in the video.)

I personally think that you can't have a fair opinion until you have watched the whole video. It's easy to write off what you haven't seen.

-Taishi
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: CRAZYOTAKU] #325036 09/07/08 12:33 PM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
nope and havent eaten it in yrs....

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: ] #325050 09/07/08 01:43 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I have been getting more and more concerned about the welfare of many of the chickens sold for our consumption.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: PDM] #325082 09/07/08 03:07 PM
Jasper's mom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I quit eating it years ago. I was having a bad reaction to anything with msg in it. They were awful. I'm confinced that is their 'secret' ingredient. Everything there bothered me..not just the chicken frown

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: Jasper's mom] #325089 09/07/08 03:32 PM
I
IronFront Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I
Nope. I quit eating it a few months ago, it's not that hard.

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: IronFront] #325093 09/07/08 03:40 PM
Kariva Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
i never really liked it....

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: Kariva] #325100 09/07/08 04:08 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I will only buy cage free eggs because comercial egg production involves keeping the chickens on cages no bigger than a piece of paper with lights on 24/7 so they keep laying.

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: Cetan] #325103 09/07/08 04:24 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I only buy free range eggs, or barn eggs where the birds can roam about in comfort.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: PDM] #325113 09/07/08 05:14 PM
Kariva Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
i buy eggs from the farmer down the street lol

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: Kariva] #325140 09/07/08 07:18 PM
L
Lady78 Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
L
Peta has been really putting alot of pressure on KFC, and KFC is not as bad as it used to be. There are still problems, and I still would not trust KFC to eat from there. I think many people boycotting KFC is also helping to reduce the problems.

The answer is no, I stopped eating from KFC after I found out about the cruelty. That is what started my vegetarian journey.

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: Lady78] #325218 09/08/08 12:15 AM
C
CRAZYOTAKU Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
C
I only buy eggs from farms I have personally visited and approved of. It's easy for me to do this because I live in upstate NY.

-Taishi
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: CRAZYOTAKU] #325512 09/08/08 11:54 PM
L
Lady78 Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
L
post by Crazyotaku:
"I only buy eggs from farms I have personally visited and approved of."

That is a good idea.

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: Lady78] #325532 09/09/08 01:12 AM
Jessica Rawks Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
We eat KFC occasionally, like maybe twice a year. I love their mashed potatoes and slaw, but am not really impressed with their chicken, and not only because of their cruel practices.

As for eggs, I buy Eggland's Best Organic eggs, which are cage free. Eggland's regular eggs, the ones in the white carton, are from caged hens, however. Unfortunately, where I normally shop, which is Food Lion, only has a small selection of egg options, so that's why I choose that particular brand.

Banquet chicken, the frozen stuff in a box, also practices cruel habits as far as their chickens go, too.

Have you ever gotten a chicken leg and the bone is broken? A high percentage of the time it's caused by abusive conditions during their raising or slaughtering. They feed meat chickens an extremely high fat diet, causing them to be so heavy that their legs can no longer hold them up.

The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: Jessica Rawks] #325540 09/09/08 01:31 AM
L
Lady78 Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
L
Post by Ima_Starr:
"They feed meat chickens an extremely high fat diet, causing them to be so heavy that their legs can no longer hold them up."

This is also because of all of the hormones that they inject into these poor chickens.

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: Lady78] #325566 09/09/08 03:07 AM
C
CRAZYOTAKU Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
C
The video I linked to actually goes through all these facts. It's horrible...

-Taishi
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: CRAZYOTAKU] #325672 09/09/08 06:08 PM
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I didn't know the kfc treated animals inhumanely.

I don't eat their food, basically because they actually have fought governments that want to enforce a zero trans fat policy.

I don't eat trans fat, and I certainly do not eat the processed, chemical filled, greasy filth that they pass off as food.

The fact that they are cruel to the animals that give their life for our sustenance is just further proff that the company has no regard and respect for life, and anyone in it.

BTW....If you are serious about boycotting this company, be is known that they are owned by twinhut corp.

Which means, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC are all owned by the same company. If you truly feel strongly enough that you do not want to give profits to a company with such blantant disregard to health and life, than I would suggest not patronizing any of those 3 establishments.

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: Jessica Rawks] #325726 09/09/08 08:13 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
[quote=PDM]I have been getting more and more concerned about the welfare of many of the chickens sold for our consumption.[/quote] Me, too. I have been boycotting KFC but I am not sure what to do, in terms of buying chicken to cook... [quote=428pm]Which means, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC are all owned by the same company. If you truly feel strongly enough that you do not want to give profits to a company with such blantant disregard to health and life, than I would suggest not patronizing any of those 3 establishments.[/quote] This is a very interesting point... [quote=Ima_StarrĀ®] They feed meat chickens an extremely high fat diet, causing them to be so heavy that their legs can no longer hold them up.[/quote] This is precisely the issue with geese and ducks (in many areas) --- they make them super-fat in order to make better pate de foie gras -- super-fatty liver spread. There was recently a big uproar in Chicago about this, because it's hideously cruel to the animals since they're basically not allowed to move and have fatty foods rammed down their throats. First, the Chicago City Council banned foie gras, then they rescinded the law, because, surprisingly, the lobby for haute cuisine is larger than the animal rights lobby. (As appalling as the treatment of geese and ducks is, I do feel that all that energy, time, and money would have been better spent on laws to help the homeless, abused children, health care, etc. Perhaps the lesson is that lobbyists for the latter should learn from the elite restauranteurs?)

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: ] #325756 09/09/08 09:10 PM
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
It's probably better for you to not eat at those places anyhow. They aren't exactly healthy, no one is missing ANYTHING by not eating that 'food'

I believe that animals are food, but I also believe that they are giving their life for ours, and should be shown the respect and care that deserves.

The things I have learned from this thread disgust me.

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: 428pm] #325894 09/10/08 03:00 AM
C
CRAZYOTAKU Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
C
I take it you watched the video I linked to then?

-Taishi
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: CRAZYOTAKU] #325896 09/10/08 03:02 AM
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I researched it some more on my own. I clicked a link, but it was just for a videogame?

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: 428pm] #325897 09/10/08 03:06 AM
C
CRAZYOTAKU Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
C
My first link was for the game. I now see that I forgot my second link in the first post and it is now too late to do anything about it... Well...here is the link I forgot http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/c-videos.asp#pamvid

Watch the one by Pamela Anderson.

Last edited by CRAZYOTAKU; 09/10/08 03:10 AM. Reason: forgot link

-Taishi
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: CRAZYOTAKU] #325900 09/10/08 03:38 AM
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I just....omg.

I am sickened. omg. That was awful.
I almost threw up when they were throwing them against the wall.
I don't know what to say.....

This is just another good reason why I don't buy meat commercially. I buy it from farms for a reason.

I eat meat, and I recognise that an animal gave it's life for me, and I respect that. I would NEVER treat an animal that way. My mother grew up on a farm, we had chicken growing up. She would KILL me if I ever thought I could pay any disrespect to any animal.

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: 428pm] #325903 09/10/08 03:41 AM
C
CRAZYOTAKU Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
C
I know, right? I highly recommend that everyone who hasn't seen the video to watch it.

-Taishi
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: CRAZYOTAKU] #326037 09/10/08 07:31 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
The best chicken to get is free range, organically fed chickens, preferably from small local farmers who usually treat their animals in a more humane manner than factory farms. Yes it is more expensive but most Americans eat more meat than is really necessary. Even my local supermarket now has some organic meat and Costco sells organic chickens

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: Cetan] #326040 09/10/08 07:36 PM
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
what does organic mean exactly?

I buy my chicken from a locl farmer, because I know (as I can see) how he treats the animals.

They live in a large, clean pen, roam free within it, have food as they would like in big 2litre pop bottles turned upside down, so that they spill out as they eat it.

They have fresh CLEAN water, and are allowed to grow normally.

They are killed humanely, and quickly. And are handled gently.

Can the same be said for organic? Or does it simply mean that they aren't fed hormones?

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: 428pm] #326074 09/10/08 10:49 PM
CassandraM_89 Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I just can't bring myself to watch the video...I can't even watch animals killing other animals in the wild so..I'll just leave THAT be. About the chicken thing, I never knew about this...My boyfriends family has some sort of chicken at least 3 times a week but I WILL tell Mrs Marquez about this and I'm sure if she knows she won't buy KFC anymore and if she does I'm not gonna eat it...I don't want food where the animal had to suffer needlessly...

Feeling inconstant would drive me insane, Flesh, to blood, to bone my love, twisted...Is It Real?
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: CassandraM_89] #326077 09/10/08 11:18 PM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
I am sick now, that is all I can say. I'm just sick!

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: CassandraM_89] #326083 09/10/08 11:39 PM
C
CRAZYOTAKU Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
C
Originally Posted By: progek
I just can't bring myself to watch the video...I can't even watch animals killing other animals in the wild so..I'll just leave THAT be. About the chicken thing, I never knew about this...My boyfriends family has some sort of chicken at least 3 times a week but I WILL tell Mrs Marquez about this and I'm sure if she knows she won't buy KFC anymore and if she does I'm not gonna eat it...I don't want food where the animal had to suffer needlessly...

It is hard to watch and made me sick as well...If you can't stomach the movie, I suggest that you play the game that I linked to on the first post. It will provide you with all the info that you need. I only chose to watch the movie because I feel that you need to actually see it to realize how bad it is.

-Taishi
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: CRAZYOTAKU] #326088 09/11/08 12:03 AM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Organic means they are not fed hormones or antibiotics, most organic are also cage free and treated humanely but it is no guarantee which is why I think it is best to get it from a local farmer who treats them humanely.

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: Cetan] #327332 09/17/08 01:38 AM
L
Lady78 Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
L
Posted by Cetan:

"most organic are also cage free and treated humanely but it is no guarantee"

I am glad you pointed this out because I have hear many misconceptions about the meaning of organic. Many people think that organic automatically means that the animals were treated humanely which is not true.

I personally just try to stay away from all meat.

Last edited by Lady78; 09/17/08 01:39 AM.
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: Cetan] #327439 09/17/08 11:01 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Well, this topic compelled me to spend three times as much as I normally do on eggs -- got some from free-range, regular farm chickens with no hormones, etc.!

Now I will look for happy chickens --er, ones that were formerly happy chickens.

Originally Posted By: Cetan
Even my local supermarket now has some organic meat and Costco sells organic chickens
I find this very encouraging. Even my local Ultra Foods (large, noisy, ugly, bag-your-own-stuff but save $ supermarket) is now carrying organic fruit and veggies. Slowly but surely Americans may be shifting to healthier and more humane food? smile

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: ] #327449 09/17/08 11:33 PM
C
CRAZYOTAKU Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
C
Sadly, I doubt it. People may agree that they should, but it involves effort. It's just like the health fad. Suddenly, everyone wanted healthy alternatives. Do the people actually eat them though? They rarely do. Most people just like to fool themselves into thinking they are acting better.

-Taishi
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: CRAZYOTAKU] #327454 09/17/08 11:57 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Your point about it being like a fad is well-taken.

If people are buying the healthy alternatives, though, even if they're not really eating them, then the supermarkets will see a demand for them and continue to stock them, at least...

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: ] #327576 09/18/08 04:44 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Trader Joes has cage free eggs for abput 2.50 a dozen, Costco has organic for 4.00 for 1 1/2 dozen. The pet store at my Vet's sometimes had eggs from their free range chickens for about 5.00 (or a little less) for 1 1/2 dozen - bring your own container. When you consider the cost per egg it is not that much.

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: Cetan] #327603 09/18/08 06:47 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted By: Cetan
Trader Joes has cage free eggs for abput 2.50 a dozen, Costco has organic for 4.00 for 1 1/2 dozen. The pet store at my Vet's sometimes had eggs from their free range chickens for about 5.00 (or a little less) for 1 1/2 dozen - bring your own container. When you consider the cost per egg it is not that much.
Yes... Hmmm -- I will have to find a less expensive source than my current one. (And I pray daily to the powers that be to open a Trader Joe's near me!)

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: ] #329345 09/28/08 04:46 PM
T
The_Zookeeper Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
T
I do not. of course, they dont offer much i could eat anyway :P

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: The_Zookeeper] #333457 10/22/08 08:17 PM
T
thekeetdad Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
T
yesterday i went to buy bunananas and they were all ripe guess they think people will buy them to make muffins like me lol

new bird mia
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: thekeetdad] #333463 10/22/08 08:37 PM
A
Ant
Unregistered
Ant
Unregistered
A
I haven't eaten there in a long time probably over 5 years or so, I never really cared for there food and I'm not a big fan of fried chicken, I used to like their biscuits though, that was about it, but I coudn't eat that stuff anymore though, it's soaked in butter it's disgusting.
All fast food places are sooo unhealthy, I avoid all of them burger king, mcdonalds, wendys, ect. I once heard from somewhere that the grease from the food sits in your stomach for a week sick

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: ] #333466 10/22/08 08:41 PM
T
thekeetdad Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
T
Originally Posted By: Ant
I once heard from somewhere that the grease from the food sits in your stomach for a week sick

thats terribly disgusting sick

new bird mia
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: thekeetdad] #333469 10/22/08 08:45 PM
A
Ant
Unregistered
Ant
Unregistered
A
I know right, that's an easy way to avoid fattening foods lol

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: ] #333472 10/22/08 08:53 PM
T
thekeetdad Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
T
i havent eaten there in a while but i dont like mc donalds well only french frys lol but i will remember that next time

new bird mia
Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: thekeetdad] #333482 10/22/08 09:08 PM
A
Ant
Unregistered
Ant
Unregistered
A
haha, me too... and their apple pies laugh

Re: Do you still eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? [Re: ] #333487 10/22/08 09:24 PM
T
thekeetdad Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
T
yep me to

new bird mia
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site