Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
quarantine problem #322599 08/27/08 01:52 AM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
Hey guys, I have had a couple KILLER days at work and have barely had time to even turn on my computer! Tomorrow should be better though.

Anyway, the point of my post:

As many of you know I have a licensed in home day care. I have been trying to find the specific rules for having pet birds in the home. I haven't found them so will email my licensor BUT, I am going to HAVE to shorten my quarantine. My licensor is due back for a visit in September. Theoretically, that could be as early as Tuesday. Based on licensing rules for having a dog or a cat, I am betting that if the kids are exposed to the birds at all, I will have to have a vet paper showing they are cleared of illnesses. That means that by Tuesday, I will have no choice but to put Cayman in the same room as the big boys.

I have no other place in my house to put him where the day care kids are not at other than my craft room where the blue crew hangs out for the day.

What do you guys think?

Re: quarantine problem [Re: ] #322610 08/27/08 02:57 AM
Kariva Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
i think if you put him on the opposite side of the room it will have to do. im bad i dont quarantine so its honestly up to you and your gut feeling

Re: quarantine problem [Re: Kariva] #322612 08/27/08 03:08 AM
O
OC Mommy Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
O
Ditto Kariva! I suck at quarantine. It may not be the most responsible choice, but I just don't think that putting a bird in another room, will stop any illness that would be airborn anyway. Just opening the door, would allow anything that was airborn in that room to escape into the house. I am not advocating no quarantine, just stating what I personally do.

Re: quarantine problem [Re: OC Mommy] #322614 08/27/08 03:30 AM
C
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
I sorta get what you are saying about the whole air borne thing.....

Re: quarantine problem [Re: ] #322622 08/27/08 03:56 AM
lovesbudgies Offline
Companion
Companion
I am not sure I would do that, but if you have no other choice it would have to do. Good luck!!

Re: quarantine problem [Re: lovesbudgies] #322693 08/27/08 07:48 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted By: lovesbudgies
I am not sure I would do that, but if you have no other choice it would have to do. Good luck!!
I agree, and also: do you have confidence in the store/breeder from whom you bought Cayman? If so, would you say it's a safe bet that he's healthy?

I guess what I'm getting at is probabilities...

IMHO, you seem like a VERY on-the-ball budgie mom, so you would probably notice very quickly if any of the birdies were ill...

Re: quarantine problem [Re: ] #322703 08/27/08 08:03 PM
C
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
Well, while Cayman did come from PetSmart, I gave him an antibiotic + vitamin booster the first 10 days (through today) and he certainly acts healthy. He was chirping on his 2nd day here, playing with his toys (more so than any of the big boys even) by the 3rd day! And he will sit on my finger with the bribe of millet.

Given my situation I have decided to go ahead and introduce the gang. I hope I am doing the right thing but at best they would all have to be in the same room (and it's not a large room) so that really isn't much of a quarantine anyhow.

Pictures a bit later in a new thread! smile

Re: quarantine problem [Re: ] #322706 08/27/08 08:05 PM
Me & 6 Fids Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Like someone said earlier, you are good budgie mommy and i am sure you will be able to tell if they start to act differently or ill. Now you need to add a 5th male and you'll have a budgie ball team!

-Lisa
Charlie(keet)RIP 6/16/09
Arseus(keet)
Lovie(LB)
Shibi-Shibi(LB)
Sunny(LB)
Pauli(LB)
Re: quarantine problem [Re: Me & 6 Fids] #322707 08/27/08 08:10 PM
Jasper's mom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Originally Posted By: Charlie's Mom
Like someone said earlier, you are good budgie mommy and i am sure you will be able to tell if they start to act differently or ill. Now you need to add a 5th male and you'll have a budgie ball team!

Can't you just see them with little budgie bats, mitts, caps, etc. LMAO laugh

Sheri, I'm sure they'll all be ok. At least you've been able to observe Cayman for a little while already. Besides, if it was me and a new bird ended up sick, I would treat them all. I'm sure you'll make sure that they all do well and stay healthy.

Re: quarantine problem [Re: Jasper's mom] #322710 08/27/08 08:30 PM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
if you have to then put him on the other side of the room in his own cage and dont cross contaminate.

If there were airborne illness it would probally have shown itself in cayman by now. However bacteria and such could easily be in his poop and such so id keep him in his own cage for now.

Could you take him in and get a vet to examine him??? i know it can be costly but its a good idea anyway for any new bird. at least a fecal test.

He should be ok though smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site