Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Is this normal parakeet behavior? #319936 08/16/08 02:27 AM
P
peachykeet Offline OP
OP Offline
P
My parakeet Peaches seems to be fine health wise; has a healthy appetite, drinks water, doesn't oversleep, sits at at top of the cage, etc., etc. But ever since I've had her she doesn't seem to have much interest in things. For example, she doesn't really play with her toys much, she isn't interested in the mirror toy I put in her cage, nor the parakeet play gym I bought her, and she has no interest whatsoever in bathing (not that she doesn't like it, she just doesn't care). She doesn't even have much interest in coming outside her cage because every time I take her out, all she does is tries to get back to it. She doesn't look or act sick, her poops look normal and all that, she just isn't interested in things. She looks content sitting on her perch in the cage and coming down occasionally to eat or drink, but I feel awful just leaving her in her cage all day. Is this normal? confused

Re: Is this normal parakeet behavior? [Re: peachykeet] #319942 08/16/08 02:35 AM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Welcome to the forum smile Yes, that is pretty normal. Just like humans, keets all have different personalities. I know of many keets that just don't like to play with toys and/or don't like being on their play gym. Some keets don't like coming out of their cages, either. If she is showing no signs of sickness, then I'm sure she's fine.

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: Is this normal parakeet behavior? [Re: peachykeet] #319945 08/16/08 02:37 AM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
Aruba was like that too. I just got him 2 friends and I still have to "help" them out of the cage and close the doors but then they all 3 play nicely. smile

Just like kids, keets are all different too. Maybe if you work with her outside of the cage-with the cage NO WHERE in site, she will get used to being out. Her cage is her security.

Re: Is this normal parakeet behavior? [Re: peachykeet] #319982 08/16/08 03:08 AM
joandboys Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
You didn't mention how long you have had your keet but from what you describe, it sounds a lot like the way Sweetie acted before I put him a busy part of the house. I kept him in a quiet room thinking that he would be less afraid and it would make it easier to train him. He just sat there and would not move much. Finally I decided that he was lonely. I brought him into the kitchen where it was bright and busy and had people and noises. He was in this area on the island every day and in one week he perked up and was climbing around his cage and chirping. He needed the noise to assure him that it was safe and he needed the busy atmosphere. You have given him a mirror but perhaps he is depressed without other stimuli. It is good for them and reassures them if you keep music playing when you are not around. It took a month or more for Sweetie to start playing with toys. I had to ring the bells and wiggle things to get him interested and understand what to do with them. They really do watch what you do and follow your every move. Try doing flock things with him also. Brush your hair in front of him. They love to preen as a flock. Eat your food in front of him when you give him his food. Spend time in his presence even if you are not talking to him but try to talk to him every few minutes. Repeat words in context. When you come into the room, Say hello and greet him. When you put him to bed say goodnight. When you cover him, leave a light on to prevent night terrors and say good night. Create playtime routines that occur at the same time every day. They love this and look forward to it like a little child looks forward to story time. Identify these playtimes with a word or sentence or question. Say, want to read a book and bring out a catalogue with paper he can shread. He will be able to identify pictures even. Sweetie identified birds and drawings of birds by saying "Kiss Kiss Kiss" and pecking them. As for coming out of his cage, I agree he feels safe and will eventually come out on his own. I used to leave the cage door open and sprinkle seed on the counter around my breakfast and lunch plate. I would eat with him every day. Eventually curiosity got the better of him and he just popped out one day because it was his idea and he felt safe doing it. Before that I left the door open and I never had to worry that he would come out. After that day, we had to start closing the door to keep him in.

Cookie and Sweetie
Re: Is this normal parakeet behavior? [Re: joandboys] #320023 08/16/08 04:10 AM
suzzie Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
hope was my first parakeet i got...he was alot like that,,he kinda played, kinda moved around , but mostly sayed to his self siting and doing nothing..his cage was in my living room and we make lost of noise, but he was just un haapy..i didnt ever relize he was tell i got stormy a month later, and wow hope is like a little kid now..playing all the time and acts crazy.and now with the other 3 birds ..he loves it...if you got your parakeet at a pet store then he may be usto other birds to play with.......i would try movingthe cage to another area like by the window, and after another month if he still is acting that way ask your vet to be on the safe side..and mybe look into geting him a friend to play with...my hope was never ment to be a one parakeet..he needed more parakeets to be happy....yours maybe that way...or may not be. that could be how he is...

Re: Is this normal parakeet behavior? [Re: suzzie] #320026 08/16/08 04:20 AM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
welcome to the forum.she sounds normal.just like people have moods too.she could be that she's loney.if you've only had her a short time I would not worry at all.longrt she might be loney.

when you wish upon a star,you pray you wish comes true.
Re: Is this normal parakeet behavior? [Re: big bad momma] #320058 08/16/08 12:01 PM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Jo, I always love reading that story of how you tamed Sweetie.

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: Is this normal parakeet behavior? [Re: peachykeet] #320625 08/18/08 06:47 AM
P
peachykeet Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thank you everyone for you replies! I've only had Peach for a month, and she seems to be getting more lively the past couple days. Today I noticed her playing with one of her toys. Thank you for the suggestion of taking her somewhere where her cage was out of sight. I tried it, and she completely relaxed! Thank you everyone so much!

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Obesity raises Risk of Cancer
by landale - 12/01/22 11:40 AM
winter reminder for our birds
by AllanMajor - 11/27/22 06:25 PM
Mathematics tutor
by knightgael - 11/26/22 06:08 PM
Windows-Sicherheitsp
robleme

by landale - 11/26/22 02:30 PM
Jewelry Watches
by knightgael - 11/25/22 08:33 PM
Jewerly men's watch
by landale - 11/25/22 08:19 PM
How can you feed pigs inexpensively
by textekprinter - 11/25/22 02:17 AM
Help choose a gift for my brother
by knightgael - 11/24/22 01:37 PM
I want to buy a watch
by landale - 11/24/22 01:03 PM
Photo Print Sizes
by RandellHamilton - 11/23/22 04:00 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site