Print Thread
SAM! #312223 07/23/08 04:42 AM
S
ShamRockStar Offline OP
Copper Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
S
So when I move out this winter I think I want to add a lizard to my zoo.
quick questions...
which kind of Lizards dont need to eat bugs as a staple of their diet... I can handle feeding as treats but would rather not have crickets all over my apartment making that noise ::shivers:: and me and meal worms are not now and never have been friends
I really like Beardies... are they hard to keep? What do they eat? How big do they get? what kind of habitat do they need?

I also saw a chinese water dragon at petsmart today... know anything about them? it was pretty sweet lol smile

sorry if this is random, i just though of anyone I know you're the one to ask smile

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: SAM! [Re: ShamRockStar] #312255 07/23/08 06:11 AM
T
The_Zookeeper Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
T
alrighty, get ready to read.

I'm bored at the moment and am procrastinating housework, so I'm going to ramble for a bit. lol

Beardies-

you CANT get around bugs. at all. you might be able to get around crickets for the most part, but you would need to feed superworms, which are giant mealworms... lol

They are omnivores and need a diet of veggies and insects. They eat a lot of crickets and mealworms/superworms as well as dark leafy greens, various veggies and fruits. They eat a LOT! even a hatchling beardie (what you saw at petco) could eat about 30 small crickets a day- no joke.

they get big- on average about 18inches from nose to tail. they grow fast and they need a fairly large enclosure.. about 4x2x2 as an adult. They need UVB lighting and lots of heat- a basking spot that reaches up to 110 degrees during the day is ideal.

The lighting they need can be costly. a UVB bulb retails at about $25... ceramic heat emiters (what I use instead of black heat bulbs) are about $40...

that's a quick run-down. I have unlimited amounts of informatin on them, so if you have any other questions, I'm sure i can answer them smile

as for water dragons, they're cool, but strictly carnivorous. you would need to feed crickets- and lots of them.
and they get big as well, so they need large enclosures, too.

as for not needing crickets.. I recommend a crested gecko or a uromastyx. Uromastyx are REALLY cool lizards. They're kinda like beardies, but they tend to be vegetarians. SOME Adults do eat crickets on OCCASION, though. they are really cool lizards, need TONS of heat and lots of room, like beardies, but are calm-mannered and tollerate handling well, etc. however, they are dumber than rocks and will walk right off the edge of a table or right off your shoulder, etc. they just fall and keep walkking, lol!

Crested gecko would honestly be the simplist to get. They dont need heat much (or at all). they can live entirely on Crested Gecko Diet- a powder you mix with water. I give crickets as a treat occasionally, but it's not necessary. plus, they dont get big, dont need special lighting.
Basically, they are the simple deal.
if you're looking to go the more difficult way, that's cool too, lol.

Dont buy anything that NEEDS mealworms (there's not much, but some people sell animals on craigslist and stuff that only eat mealworms) and there is a nationwide shortage of mealworms at the moment- has been for a few months, and will continue for at least a few months, so dont rely on them for anything!

and it's late and I am tired, so that's all I can come up with off the top of my head, but feel free to ask any other questions and I'll answer them to the best of my ability smile

Re: SAM! [Re: The_Zookeeper] #312276 07/23/08 12:32 PM
slcpunk Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Iguanas don't need bugs. They are also so cute and sweet. They can get really big though.

Re: SAM! [Re: slcpunk] #312467 07/23/08 10:20 PM
S
ShamRockStar Offline OP
Copper Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
S
hmm maybe the rested gecko is the way to go then. I sarted to research the water dragons after this post and as soon as I saw how big they got I was like well that's a not for that lol.
i like geckos though, I just always thought they were hard to take care of

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: SAM! [Re: ShamRockStar] #312550 07/24/08 04:02 AM
T
The_Zookeeper Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
T
nah, I have a lot of them.. they cant be that difficult, LOL!!

cresties are pretty low maintenance, actually. As long as you keep the humidity up you're pretty set.

Re: SAM! [Re: The_Zookeeper] #312969 07/25/08 01:44 PM
Nancy30 Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Id suggest the geckos to lol but ya cant have louie lmao. I know that iggies dont need meat but like they said those things get huge and mean. My husband had one years ago and that thing would whip ya with his tail and leave welps on ya.

A person has one sense of humor and two legs. its better to lose a leg.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Growing my own greens for my birds question
by LA-Birds - 09/24/21 10:17 PM
Make sure you have a solid business plan
by allenlu - 09/24/21 05:51 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by allenlu - 09/24/21 02:31 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site