Next Thread
Print Thread
2 keets and a lovebird - possiblefriends? #309142 07/10/08 09:48 PM
Me & 6 Fids Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
I just wanted to ask some questions on this topic:

If you already have a keet or two and want another bird, like a lovebird, is it possible for all to get along? I understand they will need separate cages and the new bird will need to be quarantined away from the other birds, but will they,if possible, play nicely together if everything is harmonious or will the lovebird attempt to dominate/hurt the keets?

-Will the lovebird get jealous if all the attention is not on him/her?

How will the keets react? or will the they ignore the new bird?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

-Lisa
Charlie(keet)RIP 6/16/09
Arseus(keet)
Lovie(LB)
Shibi-Shibi(LB)
Sunny(LB)
Pauli(LB)
Re: 2 keets and a lovebird - possiblefriends? [Re: Me & 6 Fids] #309196 07/11/08 01:19 AM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
lovies are not a good bird to put with keets, they are very aggressive and it can be dangerous for your keets. Keets are usually more aggressive then birds like tiels so the tiel usually wont wanna be near the keets. Something lie a parrotlet or a linnie would be good in that situation though

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: 2 keets and a lovebird - possiblefriends? [Re: ShamRockStar] #310575 07/16/08 01:45 PM
slcpunk Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
If you already have a keet or two and want another bird, like a lovebird, is it possible for all to get along? Yes it's possible but you need to watch them at all times
I understand they will need separate cages and the new bird will need to be quarantined away from the other birds, but will they,if possible, play nicely together if everything is harmonious or will the lovebird attempt to dominate/hurt the keets? Mine play nice together. The lovebird does try to nip at the keet every once in a while but I assume that is to be expected with any two birds. I find that it helps to keep the lovebirds wings clipped while allowing the keet full flight. This way she can get away if he is getting aggressive. Lovebirds tend to play rough and that could very easily harm a keet.

-Will the lovebird get jealous if all the attention is not on him/her? Not mine but he is used to sharing the attention since I got him after the keet.

How will the keets react? My keet fell madly in love with the lovebird the moment they were introduced
or will the they ignore the new bird? They may ignore the new one if you have two keets.

Happy and Jack do absolutely everything together, except share a cage. I do have the cages right next to one another (not close enough that they can touch through the bars) and I cover them with one sheet so they can still be together at night.
When Happy's cage door is open and she is in it, Jack will climb in and take a nap right next to her. It's so cute. They preen each other, feed each other, and take baths together.
I did get the lovebird while the keet was still very young so that may be the reason they get along so well.
Oh, I should mention that Jack WILL bite Happy if she comes near my hubby while he's holding him. My hubby is Jacks favorite pet, LOL!

Re: 2 keets and a lovebird - possiblefriends? [Re: slcpunk] #310582 07/16/08 02:04 PM
slcpunk Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend

Re: 2 keets and a lovebird - possiblefriends? [Re: Me & 6 Fids] #310594 07/16/08 02:25 PM
4Keetsn'2kids Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I've just been watching a friend's birds...he has had a lovebird and keet for a year and just purchased an additional lovebird. His first bird, I think is very mean/dominant, and was chasing both of the other birds around trying to bite them. Then at one point, I noticed the keet was grooming that lovie...the new lovie is smaller and more skiddish, so it was very happy to be away from the larger lovie. The one evening when I went to put them to bed...the new lovie and keet were together in a cage...but I wouldn't ever put the larger lovie in a cage with the others...It's beak is massive and I worry that it would hurt the other birds. That's my two sense from watching his birds for a week. =)

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Upgrading my Bracelet Game
by knightgael - 01/30/23 08:44 AM
Mathematics
by Kerok - 01/26/23 05:53 AM
Nike towards the Chinese Lunar Yr inspiration
by AllanMajor - 01/25/23 07:36 AM
Why did my credit card company randomly extend my
by knightgael - 01/23/23 02:50 PM
Little Budgie Football Fans???
by Wuzzy - 01/23/23 04:56 AM
NCAA football rankings
by Wuzzy - 01/23/23 04:53 AM
Are the services of the fubotv good?
by knightgael - 01/22/23 11:13 PM
Where can I get feedback about the oncor?
by landale - 01/22/23 08:38 PM
Are product reviews important to you before you
by landale - 01/22/23 05:50 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site