Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
molting? try this! #31012 11/03/05 09:49 PM
adieu Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Esso is molting (again!) - but I just discovered something very funny. I held up one of his nice longer feathers that had come out, and he CANNOT resist it!
Even from a few feet away, he will fly over to preen that feather! And the more I ruffle up the feather, the more he cannot wait to get to it. He finally ended up picking up the feather from me and flying it back to his tree! I don't know if he thinks that I am molting and have a feather out of place, or he just wants his darn feather back, but it is funny! He wants the feather way more than millet and certainly will go out of his way to get it. I think it must be part of their hard-wiring. Try it, I wonder if they all are like that!

chance favors the prepared mind.
Re: molting? try this! #31013 11/03/05 09:51 PM
judy Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
that is adorable....esso sounds like he really keeps you entertained smile

i will always miss and love you charlie and chica \:\(
Re: molting? try this! #31014 11/03/05 09:59 PM
adieu Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
he definitely is coming out of his shell a little bit - it has been alot of work, but he is very sweet.

chance favors the prepared mind.
Re: molting? try this! #31015 11/03/05 10:02 PM
Jloc Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
HAHAHA!LOL! I actually have seen that as well with my moms bird Sparky, I picked up a longer feather and stuck in through the bars and she would go nuts for it, she would attempt to preen but end up just grabbing it then grabbing it with her foot and pinning against the perch and try preening it that way, and if she dropped it she would go looking for it. Ifigured it was Sparky being Sparky, I never thought that most birds would do that, but it makes sense they would, whether it's their feather or a friends they just love to preen. SO far I have kept three very nice long feathers from Frodo's molt, maybe I will keep some more and make a cool preening toy from them, I think that might be cool, also might be difficult to keep the feathers attached to something, but I'll figure it out. ANyways thats funny Esso's mommy, Esso is such a pretty bird and as I mentioned I love that new avatar. Jloc

Frodo, Sam Wise, Shelby, and Scooter
Re: molting? try this! #31016 11/03/05 11:50 PM
boxermomma Offline
hmmm, Sherbert dropped a huge long feather yesterday. I'll test your theory and get back with you. smile

Me, DH, Pharaoh our Boxer baby, Sherbert our Parakeet, and Brandon who will be here in December
Re: molting? try this! #31017 11/03/05 11:57 PM
Kait Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
Those are some cute stories! My budgie Charlie is going trough her first molt and recently lost a long feather. When I had my birds out I picked up the feather and rubbed it against her face and she loved it. Her face was probably really itchy. She had been rubbing her face on her perch all day! Thanks for posting!
All the best, Kait

<3Andy,Charlie,Sunny&Emmie<3
Re: molting? try this! #31018 11/04/05 06:35 AM
Mango's Human Offline
Friend
Friend
Mango's going through his molt and he's lost a few feathers. I was playing with one of his softer feather on my desk and he kept eyeing his feather then took it away! So funny and cute!

Mango's Pet since 09/13/05
Re: molting? try this! #31019 11/04/05 01:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well I tired an experiment this a.m. When I was a the park I picked up 6 dove feathers and brouth them back and stuck them in the bars of the cages. I ascertained it's their own feathers they do this with, not just any feather. They pulled thme out of the bars and promptly dropped/forgot about them. I did see Jewel playing with one of his the other day.

Re: molting? try this! #31020 11/04/05 11:03 PM
skippy_and_pippy Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Awww... smile

I tried that a long time ago with my keets and they preened it for a while but then decided they should rip it up. It was absolutely crazy. They shredded the feather stem and pulled out all of the fuzzy things.

Thankfully, they don't it when the feather is attached to someone.

smile

I love my babies: Skippy and Pippy! \:\)
Re: molting? try this! #31021 11/05/05 04:26 AM
boxermomma Offline
well, it worked with Sherbert. He won't leave his feather alone as long as I hold it. But once I hand it to him he drops it and expects me to pick it up again. ha!

Me, DH, Pharaoh our Boxer baby, Sherbert our Parakeet, and Brandon who will be here in December
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
God's Court
by leyibop - 09/20/22 08:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by juniovidx - 09/08/22 12:04 PM
BIRDS BOOKS
by WilliamC00 - 08/29/22 01:11 PM
NFL draft poll: Revisiting Eco-friendly Bay exchan
by Davis Jordan - 08/29/22 08:28 AM
Motivation Granted: D'Wayne Eskridge Prepared towa
by Davis Jordan - 08/29/22 08:20 AM
Hear: Will Falcons Facial area Saints QB Taysom Hi
Panthers at Vikings: 5 queries with the Each day N
What we realized pertaining to the Chiefs this 7 d
by Davis Jordan - 08/29/22 08:19 AM
Buffalo Billsadmirer self-assurance drops previous
by Davis Jordan - 08/29/22 08:18 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site