Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The Summer Volunteer Job #307485 07/04/08 04:09 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
If any of you can remember that far back, LOL. I told you guys about the Summer Voulnteering I was going to do at this bird supply store near me called the Birdie Boutique. It's also an avain vet and a boarding place. So, yesterday was my first day volunteering. They had 2 rooms full of boarding birds probably because of the July 4th weekend. There were probably about 25-30 birds overall in 20 different cages. There was a flock of 5 budgies, a lot of tiels, one really nice cockatoo, one amazon, 2 african greys, one linnie, one lovie, two quakers and a lot of different types of conures. I swept the floor of both rooms cleaned the grates of each cage, changed and cleaned the water bottles/bowls in each cage fed a few birds that needed feeding and just spent time with the LOUD birds. smile It really was great. The cockatoo was my favorite. His name was Cosmo and he said "hello", "hi", "Cosmo" & "I'm a cockatoo". He was so sweet -- he would follow me around his cage nd would rub his head against the bars until I pet him. The bars were big enought that I could pet his entire body. When I pet hi he purred and closed his eyes -- he was so nice! He bobbed his head a few times as well. I pet him every time I came into the room for a few minutes.

After that, I went downstairs and did the same things for the 3 store birds which are Elivs, Bella and Pippin. Elvis is a caique, Bella is a african grey with no feet and Pippin is a tame finch.

I had lots of fun and it was a great experience smile

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: The Summer Volunteer Job [Re: Stephen] #307491 07/04/08 04:31 PM
Kariva Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
thas awesome:)

Re: The Summer Volunteer Job [Re: Stephen] #307492 07/04/08 04:31 PM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
that is just awesome 3bud:) i know you will have so much fun and you will learn sooo much:)

Re: The Summer Volunteer Job [Re: ] #307494 07/04/08 04:36 PM
M
meg luvs keets Offline
Companion
Companion
M
that sounds like so much fun! :)you will learn tons about birds you dont know much about. grin

~Megan, Bailey, Tempe, & Snickers
Re: The Summer Volunteer Job [Re: meg luvs keets] #307502 07/04/08 04:54 PM
Amethyst Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
awww, too sad about the bird with no feet frown sounds fun, cosmo sounds cute. his owner is lucky smile

Re: The Summer Volunteer Job [Re: Amethyst] #307542 07/04/08 08:02 PM
Darkness Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
How awesome is that! You'll have a great time and get a lot of experience!

Re: The Summer Volunteer Job [Re: Stephen] #307587 07/05/08 02:31 AM
4Keetsn'2kids Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
That's awesome Stephen...I'm so glad you are able to do something you enjoy! What a variety of birds? Does it make you want to expand your flock to beyond keets? I personally find the loudness of other birds more unbearable than my flock of keets. I have the lovies now...which are a little louder and friend that have conures...which are incredibly obnoxious...and I've been around some cockatiels. Anyway, I think I'll stick to my keets. =)

How often will you be volunteering? I am glad that you had a good day! Have a great weekend! =)

Re: The Summer Volunteer Job [Re: 4Keetsn'2kids] #307642 07/05/08 05:31 AM
pinksnowme Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Ooh I know you were anticipating this so much 3Bud! I cant wait to hear more about the birds you are in charge of. I am always scared of the larger ones. But the cockatoo sounds so nice. You made friends already smile It is so rewarding and rare to find a job that you actualy enjoy. Congratulations

Re: The Summer Volunteer Job [Re: pinksnowme] #307718 07/05/08 06:56 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Thanks guys! Yeah, it really is exciting. 4keets, I would love to get a tiel or a linnie so I could have one tame bird but my parents ae very much against me getting any more birds. I think I'll be able to volunteer 1-2 times a week, which is good for me smile

Oh, by the way, I talked to Dr. Burkett for a few minutes and he told me that next time I come I can go back into the vet clinic and watch him examine birds! shocked He knows that I am aspiring to be some sort of vet, possibly an avian vet. So he said it would be goos experience. I never expected him to let me go back there. There are huge signs on all the doors that say "Only Employees -- no volunteers allowed beyond this point". And I've only volunteered once! So, I'm pretty psyched. smile

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: The Summer Volunteer Job [Re: Stephen] #307750 07/05/08 08:04 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Sounds wonderful -- go for it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Upgrading my Bracelet Game
by knightgael - 01/30/23 08:44 AM
Mathematics
by Kerok - 01/26/23 05:53 AM
Nike towards the Chinese Lunar Yr inspiration
by AllanMajor - 01/25/23 07:36 AM
Why did my credit card company randomly extend my
by knightgael - 01/23/23 02:50 PM
Little Budgie Football Fans???
by Wuzzy - 01/23/23 04:56 AM
NCAA football rankings
by Wuzzy - 01/23/23 04:53 AM
Are the services of the fubotv good?
by knightgael - 01/22/23 11:13 PM
Where can I get feedback about the oncor?
by landale - 01/22/23 08:38 PM
Are product reviews important to you before you
by landale - 01/22/23 05:50 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site