Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training #301864 06/16/08 01:03 AM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Hey everyone. smile This topic is going to be devoted to the training of my three budgies - Jayka, Grayson and Emmit. I'll try and update every day on that day's training. I'll start with today, since it was their first training in the bathroom. I'll do each update in bold.

6/15/07 - I started with Jayka because she was the first one I caught. I put her in their little red cage and brought her to the bathroom with a wooden dowel and a small piece of spray millet. I started with just pushing my finger into her chest and having her step up. She responded to this well and stayed on my finger and let me pet her with my finger. shocked I'm not sure if that was out of trust or if she was just so scared that she would have let me do anything. But she was much nicer than I expected. About half the time when I pushed up on her chest, she would just sit there - but she didn't even bite me once! I was very surprised. She stepped up very well onto the dowel as well and took a few nibbles of millet.

I then caught Grayson and brought him into the bathroom. I tried to ger him to step up on my finger and he scooted away. I tried again and he stepped up with one foot while biting me really hard! I was like "Did Jayka and Grayson just switch personalities?!" Grayson was a pain in the butt, for lack of a better phrase. He wouldn't step up without biting my fingers and he kept flapping away from me and crashing. So I brought him and the dowel and the millet into the bathtub (which has a curtain) so Grayson couldn't run/flap away. I got him onto my finger and then he just sat there. I tried to get him to step on my finger from my other hand but hw would just sit there or bite that finger. I tried the dowel - same thing. He would bite it and wouldn't step up on it. I thought Grayson was going to be easiest! I guess I was wrong ... he also didn't eat millet that I offered him.

Emmit, on the other hand, was an angel! I brought him into the bathroom and first thing he climbed onto my hand and climbed up to my shoulder to try and get to higher ground. He fell to the grond, obviously, and then I presed my finger in front of his chest and he stepped up. I gave him a bite of millet. I offered my finger from my other hand. He stepped up without a second thought. Amazing! I was very excited. He did this continuously throughout our training session. He let me pet him as well, but didn't seem very excited about it so I stopped after a few strokes. Emmit also stepped up on the dowel on command. I then layed down and puthim on the ground. He clibmed onto my chest and waddled around. smile I then got him onto my finger and put him on my shoulder. He stayed there are nibbled on my hair! Emmit did this last time I got their wings clipped - he actually sat onmy shoulder as I was on the computer. That was a year ago. I wonder if he's just more docile and tameable? Or does he just like being higher up off the ground? Either way, he's trusting me.

Of course, now that they are together on their play gym they scoot away from my hand. Any advice on getting them to trust me when they are together and in my room?

Thanks for reading!

3bud

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #301874 06/16/08 01:22 AM
A
AyEe Y0o Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
A
Oh, they look totally fondled in the shots you took of them right after you've clipped their wings. Total Cute-Ness! And I'm sure you've done everything correct because look at them. They are at total peace. Congratulations.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: AyEe Y0o] #301879 06/16/08 01:31 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
you might try getting all three on a perch, then take one at a time off the perch. That is one of the things we did with gil and ann. To get them out of the cage I will quite often get them both on the perch then out of the cage with one fairly swift movement. If you start out slowly they see what is comming and jump. Mine really like being on the perch together out of the cage.

It sounds like you are making wonderful progress - congratulations.

Last edited by BLR; 06/16/08 01:32 AM.
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: BLR] #301883 06/16/08 01:39 AM
pinksnowme Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Ooh I love this 3Bud Blog! Gonna be fun reading about their progress.
I am going to take Captain into the bathroom one day. He will peck and chew on my finger but refuses to step up. But if he is accidently on the ground after a short flight he will accept our open hand for a lift up. I want him to perch on my finger.
Thanks for the great play by play of your training.
It is also interesting to read about how each keet responds differently!
I'm sure many of us will gleen new info from your training sessions Stephen. smile

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: BLR] #301885 06/16/08 01:42 AM
Nancy30 Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
how cool is that smile and just a few weeks ago you were saying that they didint like you and would never let you hold them and now look smile awesome job emmit,jayka and grayson smile I use a wooden dowel and get them on it then as stated above just get one at a time on my finger. they fly back to the dowel alot but soon enough they got the idea and stayed on my finger longer and longer. with mine..amber is the hardest to train. she is the leader of the flock and she bites and holds on until blood flows. She got me so hard today I actually had tears rolling down my face before she let go...but the trick is..dont fight them when they bite..just grit your teeth and talk calm to them. Im so glad they are training so well thats happy news smile smile smile

A person has one sense of humor and two legs. its better to lose a leg.
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Nancy30] #301892 06/16/08 02:15 AM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Thanks for all of the responses and nice comments guys!

Aye, I am honored that you posted in my topic! You rarely post anymore ...

Thank you so much for the advice BLR and Nancy. The one problem is that they run away from me when I put my hand or a dowel in the cage. I have to lightly grab them because they don't come out of the cage on their own accord now that their wings are clipped ... I really hate grabbing them though ...

And thank you Andrea. smile

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #301893 06/16/08 02:36 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
patience grasshopper

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: BLR] #301913 06/16/08 03:36 AM
O
OC Mommy Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
O
YAY!!! Sounds like it will all work out if you are persistant. It is really hard to get all the buggers to want to be out at the same time. They kinda want to do their own thing. Keep it up and I am sure they will progress nicely! And remember, sometimes they can have an off day, or just not be in the mood, but you will succeed!

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #301944 06/16/08 12:57 PM
4Keetsn'2kids Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
That's great! Thanks for the update...hopefully Grayson will come along soon!

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: 4Keetsn'2kids] #301961 06/16/08 02:44 PM
Darkness Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
That's awesome news, 3buds! I'm glad the bathroom training is working out! Keep up with the updates!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
levitation photo challenge
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:40 AM
free will
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:33 AM
Separating Two Parakeets
by Min - 10/28/20 05:51 PM
Please help
by Faeed - 10/27/20 03:23 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site