Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training #301864 06/16/08 01:03 AM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Hey everyone. smile This topic is going to be devoted to the training of my three budgies - Jayka, Grayson and Emmit. I'll try and update every day on that day's training. I'll start with today, since it was their first training in the bathroom. I'll do each update in bold.

6/15/07 - I started with Jayka because she was the first one I caught. I put her in their little red cage and brought her to the bathroom with a wooden dowel and a small piece of spray millet. I started with just pushing my finger into her chest and having her step up. She responded to this well and stayed on my finger and let me pet her with my finger. shocked I'm not sure if that was out of trust or if she was just so scared that she would have let me do anything. But she was much nicer than I expected. About half the time when I pushed up on her chest, she would just sit there - but she didn't even bite me once! I was very surprised. She stepped up very well onto the dowel as well and took a few nibbles of millet.

I then caught Grayson and brought him into the bathroom. I tried to ger him to step up on my finger and he scooted away. I tried again and he stepped up with one foot while biting me really hard! I was like "Did Jayka and Grayson just switch personalities?!" Grayson was a pain in the butt, for lack of a better phrase. He wouldn't step up without biting my fingers and he kept flapping away from me and crashing. So I brought him and the dowel and the millet into the bathtub (which has a curtain) so Grayson couldn't run/flap away. I got him onto my finger and then he just sat there. I tried to get him to step on my finger from my other hand but hw would just sit there or bite that finger. I tried the dowel - same thing. He would bite it and wouldn't step up on it. I thought Grayson was going to be easiest! I guess I was wrong ... he also didn't eat millet that I offered him.

Emmit, on the other hand, was an angel! I brought him into the bathroom and first thing he climbed onto my hand and climbed up to my shoulder to try and get to higher ground. He fell to the grond, obviously, and then I presed my finger in front of his chest and he stepped up. I gave him a bite of millet. I offered my finger from my other hand. He stepped up without a second thought. Amazing! I was very excited. He did this continuously throughout our training session. He let me pet him as well, but didn't seem very excited about it so I stopped after a few strokes. Emmit also stepped up on the dowel on command. I then layed down and puthim on the ground. He clibmed onto my chest and waddled around. smile I then got him onto my finger and put him on my shoulder. He stayed there are nibbled on my hair! Emmit did this last time I got their wings clipped - he actually sat onmy shoulder as I was on the computer. That was a year ago. I wonder if he's just more docile and tameable? Or does he just like being higher up off the ground? Either way, he's trusting me.

Of course, now that they are together on their play gym they scoot away from my hand. Any advice on getting them to trust me when they are together and in my room?

Thanks for reading!

3bud

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #301874 06/16/08 01:22 AM
A
AyEe Y0o Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
A
Oh, they look totally fondled in the shots you took of them right after you've clipped their wings. Total Cute-Ness! And I'm sure you've done everything correct because look at them. They are at total peace. Congratulations.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: AyEe Y0o] #301879 06/16/08 01:31 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
you might try getting all three on a perch, then take one at a time off the perch. That is one of the things we did with gil and ann. To get them out of the cage I will quite often get them both on the perch then out of the cage with one fairly swift movement. If you start out slowly they see what is comming and jump. Mine really like being on the perch together out of the cage.

It sounds like you are making wonderful progress - congratulations.

Last edited by BLR; 06/16/08 01:32 AM.
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: BLR] #301883 06/16/08 01:39 AM
pinksnowme Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Ooh I love this 3Bud Blog! Gonna be fun reading about their progress.
I am going to take Captain into the bathroom one day. He will peck and chew on my finger but refuses to step up. But if he is accidently on the ground after a short flight he will accept our open hand for a lift up. I want him to perch on my finger.
Thanks for the great play by play of your training.
It is also interesting to read about how each keet responds differently!
I'm sure many of us will gleen new info from your training sessions Stephen. smile

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: BLR] #301885 06/16/08 01:42 AM
Nancy30 Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
how cool is that smile and just a few weeks ago you were saying that they didint like you and would never let you hold them and now look smile awesome job emmit,jayka and grayson smile I use a wooden dowel and get them on it then as stated above just get one at a time on my finger. they fly back to the dowel alot but soon enough they got the idea and stayed on my finger longer and longer. with mine..amber is the hardest to train. she is the leader of the flock and she bites and holds on until blood flows. She got me so hard today I actually had tears rolling down my face before she let go...but the trick is..dont fight them when they bite..just grit your teeth and talk calm to them. Im so glad they are training so well thats happy news smile smile smile

A person has one sense of humor and two legs. its better to lose a leg.
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Nancy30] #301892 06/16/08 02:15 AM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Thanks for all of the responses and nice comments guys!

Aye, I am honored that you posted in my topic! You rarely post anymore ...

Thank you so much for the advice BLR and Nancy. The one problem is that they run away from me when I put my hand or a dowel in the cage. I have to lightly grab them because they don't come out of the cage on their own accord now that their wings are clipped ... I really hate grabbing them though ...

And thank you Andrea. smile

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #301893 06/16/08 02:36 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
patience grasshopper

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: BLR] #301913 06/16/08 03:36 AM
O
OC Mommy Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
O
YAY!!! Sounds like it will all work out if you are persistant. It is really hard to get all the buggers to want to be out at the same time. They kinda want to do their own thing. Keep it up and I am sure they will progress nicely! And remember, sometimes they can have an off day, or just not be in the mood, but you will succeed!

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #301944 06/16/08 12:57 PM
4Keetsn'2kids Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
That's great! Thanks for the update...hopefully Grayson will come along soon!

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: 4Keetsn'2kids] #301961 06/16/08 02:44 PM
Darkness Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
That's awesome news, 3buds! I'm glad the bathroom training is working out! Keep up with the updates!

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Darkness] #302012 06/16/08 05:38 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Thanks everyone, especially OC Mommy for the positive words! Right now they are all out on their play gym. I need to water the flowers in a few minutes but then I'll start today's training.

LOL @ BLR. smile

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302079 06/16/08 07:51 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
6/16/07 - Emmit came into the bathroom first today. He did just as great as yesterday so I really don't have much extra to say. smile He crawled on my chest for awhile and would step up and stay on my finger even if I didn't give him millet.

Jayka did this strange thing where she was leaning over and her chest was laying on my finger. She would step up about half of the time and half the tie she would not budge no matter how hard I pushed on her chest. Sometimes when she stepped up she would lean over so her chest bone was resting on my finger. I know keets do that when they are curious or there is something new in their enviroment or there is a change in enviroment. Which would make sense. Am I right? But Grayson and Emmit didn't do that ...

Grayson was really bad once again. frown He stepped up fairly well but every single time he stepped up he bit me - and bit me hard! He didn't run away that much, so that was good. But when he did run away he would bite my fingers when I came to put him on my finger. Also, he would bite the dowel as if it was my finger when I tried to have him step up onto it. Any suggestions for Grayson's training?

Also today I didn't use the litle red cage. I carried them each on the wooden dowel from my room to the bathroom which is about 10 feet. And none of them flew off during transportation. smile

So, I'm going to grade them each on today.

Emmit- A
Jayka - B
Grayson - C+

3bud smile

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302089 06/16/08 08:01 PM
pinksnowme Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
They are realy progessing nicely! Up on the dowel and not flying off is a feet in itself! Crongradulations.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302096 06/16/08 08:07 PM
4Keetsn'2kids Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Still in school mode...grading the keets now!?!?!? grin

Sorry that Grayson is in a biting mood...ouch! It really does hurt when they catch you just right. You seem to be handling it very well!

Thanks for the updates!

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: 4Keetsn'2kids] #302106 06/16/08 08:15 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True enough, Andrea. smile

And yes, 4keets, I just miss school so much ... LOL, but seriously, it hrts when he bites me but I don't want him to think that it is, because then he will continue doing it. So I just have to suck it up but that's hard because he almost made me bleed today.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302112 06/16/08 08:27 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Sounds like Grayson my need extra tuitoring. BTW - just to keep in perspective - this is day 3. You are making incredible progress.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: BLR] #302121 06/16/08 08:40 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: BLR
Sounds like Grayson my need extra tuitoring. BTW - just to keep in perspective - this is day 3. You are making incredible progress.

Day 2. wink But all the same, thanks.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302132 06/16/08 08:58 PM
Darkness Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
So with the grading system, will there be a midterm and final? And if so, will you curve the score if any of the keets do exceptionally well? LOL. j/k!

Glad that they're doing even better now on day two and sorry about your fingers. You've got ten of them though luckily so...:D

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Darkness] #302148 06/16/08 09:22 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: dentwoboys
So with the grading system, will there be a midterm and final? And if so, will you curve the score if any of the keets do exceptionally well? LOL. j/k!

Glad that they're doing even better now on day two and sorry about your fingers. You've got ten of them though luckily so...:D

ROFL! grin

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302154 06/16/08 09:32 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
They're still on their gym and just now I went up to Emmit and pushed my finger up on his chest and he stepped right up! I then gave a him a bite of millet. Then he stepped up two more times! I tried with Jayka but she scooted away an Grayson stepped up, bit me, and then flew off. smirk But I'm really happy about Emmit's progress! laugh

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302159 06/16/08 09:42 PM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I usually stay of this part of the forum (too depressing) however congrats on your success. You have 3 and you are making better progress than me, so I guess when you are done you can train Coco for me k thankz bai.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Coco's Mama] #302182 06/16/08 10:35 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Coco's Mama
I usually stay of this part of the forum (too depressing)

Huh? Are you kidding CM? This is General Keet Chat. How is that depressing?

Originally Posted By: Coco's Mama
You have 3 and you are making better progress than me, so I guess when you are done you can train Coco for me k thankz bai.

I hope there's not something wrong ... you don't seem yourself. My keets won't sit on my finger on command yet, CM. Coco does that, right?

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302202 06/16/08 11:21 PM
A
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted By: 3budgies
Originally Posted By: BLR

Day 2. wink But all the same, thanks.

That makes your progress even that much more amazing. You are doing great!! Keep up the training. smile

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302242 06/17/08 12:40 AM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Okay, I guess PDM just moved my topic.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302267 06/17/08 01:22 AM
pinksnowme Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Ya but we found you smile
3 Budgies class in session.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302297 06/17/08 02:29 AM
A
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted By: 3budgies
Okay, I guess PDM just moved my topic.
LOL!! I thought you moved it!! Too funny.....

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Darkness] #302331 06/17/08 06:31 AM
N
new2bird Offline
N
what's with the bathroom???

Mom for:
3 kids including the biggest one -my hubby
Yoshi bird
Missi my lab and soon some fish
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: new2bird] #302332 06/17/08 06:47 AM
N
new2bird Offline
N
Well... I am just getting my pretty bird that I found in my yard a few weeks ago to see my hand inside the cage even when she is eating. She is not freaking out any more.
I think her last owner never gave her treats I tried the ones you get at the the store . Look like granola bar, she just stand on it. I tried fruits, and I just get my black lab jealous. She does not touch it. Haven't tried the millet, not sure I know what it is. Tried google it got several results. I will go to the pet store and see what the offer.
Got her some toys she loves the mirror with the bell. I am getting closer to the perch training. Sorry I forgot how to post photos in what for format anyway I need to get some new ones.

Mom for:
Yoshi bird
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: new2bird] #302339 06/17/08 10:35 AM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Aruba's-mom
LOL!! I thought you moved it!! Too funny.....

Well, only moderators can move topics. LOL

Originally Posted By: new2bird
what's with the bathroom???

Some people recommend bringing your keet into the bahroom for training because you are in a confined space. This is often recommended to people with multiple un-trained keets.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302360 06/17/08 01:38 PM
Darkness Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
3buds, I don't know if this is a suggestion but do you have the birds look at themselves in the mirror while they're on your shoulder or finger? I've been doing this with both Spiderman and Batman while training and they seem to get more comfortable by the day. I don't know if it's because they see that the "other bird" happily safe with me if you get what I mean.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302446 06/17/08 07:16 PM
N
new2bird Offline
N
Ok now it makes sense,
I am learning.
Thanks,

Mom for:
Yoshi bird
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Darkness] #302455 06/17/08 07:41 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: dentwoboys
3buds, I don't know if this is a suggestion but do you have the birds look at themselves in the mirror while they're on your shoulder or finger? I've been doing this with both Spiderman and Batman while training and they seem to get more comfortable by the day. I don't know if it's because they see that the "other bird" happily safe with me if you get what I mean.

Ahh, amazing idea! I would have never thought of that. Thank you, thank you! I'm going to try that today.

Originally Posted By: new2bird
Ok now it makes sense,
I am learning.
Thanks,

No problem smile

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302475 06/17/08 08:54 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Okay, I just realized that we are leaving on vacation this saturday and we will be gone for a week. That is obviously going to affect their training. Does anyone have any advice for this?

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302496 06/17/08 09:22 PM
Darkness Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Think of it as spring break for them. There's no homework, assignments, just relaxation. They'll be pretty rusty when you return, but you're doing so well now, they'll be back on the ball again.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302497 06/17/08 09:23 PM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Oh nope sorry.

Also no Coco doesn't get on my finger. She will however bite it if it is in reach, she was stepping up for about 2 weeks (maybe that's what you remember i was prob. so excited I posted it at that point) and now she'sdecide plllbt u step up, I don't wanna.

LOL I hope you have a nice vacation maybe leave them homework? tee hee. Idk you are making good progress so hopefully they will remember when u come home .

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302528 06/17/08 10:26 PM
4Keetsn'2kids Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Are you taking the birds with you? I feel bad when I go away...cause I know they don't get as much attention when I'm gone and I always fear relapse...oh well...such is life...sometimes we forget things when we don't practice, but it's in there somewhere and usually comes back quickly with a little reminder. =)

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Coco's Mama] #302539 06/17/08 10:34 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Thanks DeShanna and Coco. And no, 4keets, they are going to be taken care of by my neighbor while we are gone. smile

6/17/08 - I started with Jayka today. She did really well just like the previous days, but today she didn't do that weird leaning over thing. I was happy about that. So she stepped up well on and off both the perch and my finger. smile Although she seemed scared today.

I then got Grayson and I was soo pleasantly surprised! grin Grayson didn't bite me once! I was so happy! He was a tad stubborn when stepping up but he did step up every single time and didn't bite me! I have no idea what happened ... it's like he for got how to bite. So he did well. smile

Emmit did well, as usual. He stepped up and off of both the dowel and my finger just like Jayka and Grayson. But he does it so much easier than the other two - almost subconsciously. smile The other two I actually have to press on their chests, but not with Emmit. Emmit climbed onto my head at one point but then flew off about 20 seconds later and then he waddled away from me a few more times and kept trying to barely jump on my finger for a quick lift off. Which didn't work because my finger was pretty much at the same height as the floor, lol. Also, it seemed like Emmit was disracted the whole time but he did do well.

So these are their grades, haha.

Jayka: A-
Grayson: A-
Emmit: A-

3bud smile

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #302544 06/17/08 10:50 PM
pinksnowme Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Ooh straight A students! smile

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: pinksnowme] #302546 06/17/08 10:54 PM
pinksnowme Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I forgot to mention that Captain was a very bad parakeet while he was with my dad. He would screach and squawk from morning till night. My dad never let him out of his cage. Anyway when I came to pick him 5 days later he saw me and started cooing and trilling in his normal singing voice. My dad was like Wow I never heard him do that!" Mom came home he behaved.
Your kids will know what to do when you return smile

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: pinksnowme] #302779 06/18/08 08:02 PM
A
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
A
You are doing great!! I hope vacation doesn't set them back too much but I bet they bounce right back. They seem to be smart birdies. smile

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: ] #302805 06/18/08 09:56 PM
CMB Offline
Companion
Companion
Wooohooo, all A's!!! Well done 3bud, you must be very proud of your flock. I hope that training continues to go so well smile

CMB
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: CMB] #304054 06/23/08 03:07 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Thanks Sheri and Cara! If you didn't notice, I didn't do updates on the 19th and 20th -- I had a lot of stuff going on, such as packing, and really had no time to bring them each into the bathroom for training. I bet they'll remember some of the training when I get back from vacation, though. I may have to trim their wings again when I ge back. Grayson and Emmit's wings hadn't grown at all after the clipping but when I clipped their wings, Jayka was just finishing her molt, so her wings were already growing back when we left for vacation.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #305208 06/26/08 10:16 PM
S
Samiya Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
S
wow! i don't know how i missed this! sounds like the training is going very smoothly and it sounds like those keets want to cooperate.

good job so far Stephen!

[Linked Image from i118.photobucket.com]
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Samiya] #306177 06/30/08 01:30 PM
A
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
A
I hope your keeties don't lose too much of this training while you were away on vacation! Let us know how it's going when you return smile

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: ] #308683 07/09/08 02:18 AM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
7/8/08 -- Today I only did 5-10 minute training sessions because I hadn't done them in awhile. I started with Grayson, who did very well. He stepped up every time I wanted him to (both my finger and the dowel) and only flew off of my finger once.

Emmit also did just as well but seemed a little more scared because his wings were shaking towards the end.

Jayka did pretty bad because she was hunching over, yet again. Does anyone have any idea what this could mean? She will step up but then will hunch over so her belly is touching my finger -- she's leaning waay over. I got pictures of each of them on my finger so you will be able to see what I'm talking about with Jayka. Anyway, Jayka also flew off of my finger A LOT during the session. She only stepped up about 5 times -- the other times she flew off. I also tried holding her at my chest so she could hear my heartbeat and that went over okay.

So...
The Grades...

Grayson- A
Emmit- A-
Jayka- C-

Stephen

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #308686 07/09/08 02:27 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
When you say hunched over - is she really lowering her head - that is pretty much an attack position. I see it when my keets are squabling and one will lower its head to threaten the other one. That happens right before a fight breaks out. I don't really know but it kinda sounds like actions I have seen from mine toward each other.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: BLR] #308705 07/09/08 03:08 AM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
she could also be getting ready to erh... ya know... check out picks of mating, if it looks like the females mating position something your doing is making her like you lol

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: ShamRockStar] #309409 07/11/08 08:36 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still not sure what it is ... here's a pic. It's horrible quality, sorry about that. It's the position of egg binding, but she only does this during training sessions & while on my finger.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on training [Re: Stephen] #309454 07/11/08 10:56 PM
S
Samiya Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
S
i wonder if its a submission stance.

ayden is very VERY submissive, and he would do that in the fist day of training. he stopped, however, after i talked calmly to him.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: Samiya] #309460 07/11/08 11:02 PM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
tee hee... she's totally trying to mate

which makes me giggle, but shouldn't I'm sorry. that is a females mating posture witht he tail up like that...
this is another example of female mating posture

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: ShamRockStar] #309468 07/11/08 11:09 PM
S
Samiya Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
S
lol, i was wrong....

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: Samiya] #309562 07/12/08 02:14 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
LOL, okay Heather. But the thing that's strange is that, of my 3 birds, she is the most scared of me. She won't even step up on a dowel rod I'm holding if she's in my room with the other keets. And she always flies off my finger during training. Are you sure? Her tail isn't lifted up like the bird in the picture you posted ... LMAO

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: Stephen] #309567 07/12/08 02:42 PM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
it really is thought the bird in the picture just has shorter feathers on the tail so you cant see them angle back down as well. i cant find any other reason for it and honestly the second i saw that picture I knew that was what it was... i mean obviously i'm not the end all be all of bird knowledge and im sure others have answers too but that what it looks like to me

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: ShamRockStar] #309991 07/14/08 02:01 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Okay ... thanks for your input, Heather. It's much appreciated.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: Stephen] #310120 07/14/08 09:34 PM
S
Samiya Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
S
Heather, I looked more carefully at the pic of the other bird you posted, and even if it had longer tail feathers, I don’t think it would look like Jayka. I think it could be something else, but she still might be still trying to………

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: Samiya] #310127 07/14/08 09:53 PM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
is it possible she ant get her balance? I see she's perched like that on your shoulder too in the other thread. Keets will manipulate their tails to help them maintain balance...

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: ShamRockStar] #310593 07/16/08 02:25 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Well, Jayka does go into the same position as that bird including the wings, tail and body. Also, Jayka fans out her tail. What could that mean?

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: Stephen] #317042 08/05/08 02:39 PM
Seafoam Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
No, I don't think it could be mating position! lol! Fanning out tail feathers means ready to attack/fly. I think Jayka was really just scared, and didn't know what to do on your hand so she didn't even bother getting in a comfortable postition.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: Seafoam] #317099 08/05/08 05:50 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
LMAO, taht's exactly what I was thinking Seafoam. Thank you for verifying my sanity, LOL.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: Stephen] #317216 08/05/08 11:59 PM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I agree Seafoam. It just looks uncomfortable, it maybe a combinations of positions with various meanings or she just isn't that comfy yet. I pick not comfy, I bet her stance will change with time.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: Coco's Mama] #317235 08/06/08 02:32 AM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Yeah, she never does this when all 3 of them are on my hand.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: Stephen] #317245 08/06/08 03:01 AM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Originally Posted By: 3buds
Yeah, she never does this when all 3 of them are on my hand.

I was going to ask if she has seen the other birds do it, as you probably train them separately, but then I noticed the new avatar (awesome pic) she probably sees oh look they are sitting all fine so i am okay to, but when she is solo maybe she just gets a lil' nervous.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: Coco's Mama] #317281 08/06/08 12:51 PM
Stephen Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Exactly! She is the most timid keet of the bunch so that would make sense. She still runs away when I put the stick in front of her when she's on the ground. I was very doubtful of the idea that she was trying to mate with me, LOL.

Re: Jayka, Grayson & Emmit - Daily updates on trai [Re: Stephen] #317345 08/06/08 06:01 PM
Seafoam Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
LOL That would be beyond hand tamed and she'd have to be reallyyyyy close to you.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
NEW YEARS WISHES
by EVA21SA - 10/15/20 07:51 PM
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by EVA21SA - 10/10/20 07:50 AM
nike air max2 light blanche
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:53 AM
nike air max2 light schwarz
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:42 AM
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/28/20 09:13 PM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site